Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They spend most of their life in campaign mode and trying to control the new cycle rather than getting on with governing

When you strip it away there is very little policy which really addresses the challenges we face in the 21st century.

[tweet]/1514518467776499714[/tweet]

For the amount it will cost, we could put refugees in the Ritz, never mind a 4* hotel.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
As Frederick Douglas said when this kind of white supremacist nutjobbery was tried in the early part of the 19th century:

"Shame upon the guilty wretches that dare propose, and all that countenance such a proposition."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Colonization_Society

How could we face the rest of the world coming from the country that, when approached by desperate people for help, pays money to make them go away? Utterly cynical and devoid of human empathy. Once again this corrupt band of self servers finds a new low.

It's bonkers. Won't work, won't happen (certainly not at any kind of numbers to make a difference) and they know it.
But it will play well with stupid racists and will be a distraction to the rest of us, which are, fairly obviously, the real intentions.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The thing is, you and I may know that, but it isn't having sufficient traction with the floating voter, let alone those who would normally vote conservative. Yes, we have seen nice sensible conservatives on NSC (there are many) saying they want to see Johnson voted out, but not in sufficient numbers. The data as of April 8 are below. Let's see how partygate fines followed by concentration camps affect the trend. My guess is little change. Labout projected to get an unworkable majority, but if you factor in 'shy tories' I would expect to see a Johnson win, albeit without a working majority (or much chance of forming a coalition - with the DUP and SNP!). Messy.

View attachment 146904
View attachment 146905

Any arrangement with the SNP would of course be conditional on one thing. IMO they would could only win an Indie ref 2 with a Johnson narrow English nationalist government. With Labour and I feel Sturgeon's fox would be shot, Starmer would have a more inclusive approach to the UK as a whole

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If I have read your post correctly and you are talking about today, the 14th April 2022, then I'm afraid you probably deserve the Government you've got, whatever your political allegiances. Sorry :shrug:
Who’d be your choice for PM from either the cabinet or shadow cabinet ?

Why the cabinet or Shadow cabinet ?

Over Johnson ? Off the top of my head in 10 seconds

Kier Starmer
Theresa May
Yvette Cooper
Rory Stewart
Ed Davey
Caroline Lucas
Ruth Davidson
Ed Miliband

I could go on ................

Get the picture ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Do you think it's a serious plan?
Or what, if not a useful dead cat?

a very serious plan, with full endorsement from Rwanda as they announce this. wasnt cooked up over a weekend.

thats not to say it will work, just that the intent is to implement it.

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's a nice distraction from realising we have a crooked PM and throws red meat out to the looney Mail readers and Brexiteers....they will love this even if it turns out to be illegal....cue an attempt to "Take back Control " by leaving the United Nations !

I wouldn't put it past him, the Russians are waiting at the back gate.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
a very serious plan, with full endorsement from Rwanda as they announce this. wasnt cooked up over a weekend.

thats not to say it will work, just that there is full intention to try.

There is probably full intention to make a show of trying.

I don't count that as 'serious'

If they were thinking, and planning, seriously they would have looked at how well it has worked elsewhere. And then dropped it.
https://www.opensocietyfoundations....offshoring-asylum-and-migration-actually-work

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It's a nice distraction from realising we have a crooked PM and throws red meat out to the looney Mail readers and Brexiteers....they will love this even if it turns out to be illegal....cue an attempt to "Take back Control " by leaving the United Nations !

True. They have already withdrawn plans to recall parliament over the possible use of chemical weapons because they didn't want to answer any questions about the fines. They are arguing that the lying criminal has to stay because he has to deal with the war, when the facts show that he can't deal with the war because he is politically compromised. We all know that he is done. He has no moral authority and cannot lead the nation. His career is finished, but the country is to suffer a long drawn out removal because it is not yet politically expedient for the Conservative Party to appoint a replacement. None of the potential replacements are less laughable than Johnson was even before this mess. He has always been nothing more than a chancer, only out for himself. That he was elected first as leader of a major party and then by the country leaves an ignoble stain on the history of Britain.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The whole UK to Rwanda arrangement seems sordid, whilst flying tens of thousands of non-UK Nationals 4,000 miles to Rwanda is hardly going to reduce our carbon footprint either.

I can't see what Rwanda gets out of this. They have high profile sponsorships with Arsenal and PSG with 'Visit Rwanda' on their shirts, so having paid handsomely to elevate their brand they are now trashing it by agreeing to be the UK's migrant dumping ground.

This arrangement flies in the face of the Tories fine words of co-operation with our European friends and neighbours. What is needed is a proper EU-wide migration policy that the UK can support; imagine if every European country made their own arrangements with a poorer African or Asian country to take migrants - it would just be the rich using the poor, whilst not dealing with the root causes of the problems forcing the migrants to move in the first place.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Project 'Save Big Dog' with its latest policy for distraction:

Boris Johnson campaigned for Brexit on the grounds that it would allow the UK to “take back control” of its immigration arrangements. But the government’s failure to stop people crossing the Channel in small boats to claim asylum (almost 30,000 last year) has made a mockery of that, and today Johnson is going to announce a new approach that will make government policy in this area more hardline than it has been for decades.

The government is going to sign a deal with Rwanda for it to take some of the people crossing the Channel in the hope of settling in Britain. Instead they will be flown 4,500 miles away to Africa. Full details of the plan have not yet been revealed, but it seems the policy will apply to single men. Some reports have said they will be taken to Rwanda to have their asylum applications processed, but*Mark Easton,*the BBC’s home affairs editor, told Radio 4’s Today programme within the last hour that it would be a “one-way ticket” for people who would be settled in*Rwanda.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I reckon in about 2 years there will be FOI request that shows we sent about 5 people to Rwanda at a cost of 5 million per person

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
[tweet]/1514518467776499714[/tweet]

For the amount it will cost, we could put refugees in the Ritz, never mind a 4* hotel.

This year the Australian government budgeted £450m for offshore management of 239 migrants to PNG and Naru

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

thats not to say it will work, just that the intent is to implement it.

Last week Ian Dale had refugee minister Richard Harrington on the programme and he denied any knowledge of Rwanda plan after it was leaked to the Times. Either he is liar or Johnson and Patel have cooked something up on the QT

Interesting what happened when Israel tried it in 2014, it failed big time

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/n...wanda-in-2014-it-failed-spectacularly-319525/

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Last week Ian Dale had refugee minister Richard Harrington on the programme and he denied any knowledge of Rwanda plan after it was leaked to the Times. Either he is liar or Johnson and Patel have cooked something up on the QT

Interesting what happened when Israel tried it in 2014, it failed big time

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/n...wanda-in-2014-it-failed-spectacularly-319525/

If Prati and Boris are behind it they will have copied the failed model word for word.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I reckon in about 2 years there will be FOI request that shows we sent about 5 people to Rwanda at a cost of 5 million per person

Yebbut think of the value of the contract someone won to sort that out.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Why the cabinet or Shadow cabinet ?

Over Johnson ? Off the top of my head in 10 seconds

Kier Starmer
Theresa May
Yvette Cooper
Rory Stewart
Ed Davey
Caroline Lucas
Ruth Davidson
Ed Miliband

I could go on ................

Get the picture ?

It’s only current cabinet ministers that are likely to replace Johnson imminently, and then shadow cabinet at the next GE. I was sticking to realistic replacements. Lucas :lolol::lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It’s only current cabinet ministers that are likely to replace Johnson imminently, and then shadow cabinet at the next GE. I was sticking to realistic replacements. Lucas :lolol::lolol:

You said that you genuinely didn't know who you would trust over Johnson currently

Likewise…….a clear ‘none of the above’ choice ideally. Genuinely don’t know who from the current lot on either side I’d want (or trust to be) in charge at the moment.

I just showed that in 10 seconds I could name a whole number that I would trust more than Johnson and his current crew from all over the political spectrum. If I had longer, I am confident I could name in excess of 200 ???

And if your prediction that only current ministers are likely to replace him is true, then we are totally f***ed :lolol:

Last edited:

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Imran Ahmad Khan, who was convicted of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old boy, says he will resign as Wakefield MP - triggering a by-election

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
True. They have already withdrawn plans to recall parliament over the possible use of chemical weapons because they didn't want to answer any questions about the fines. They are arguing that the lying criminal has to stay because he has to deal with the war, when the facts show that he can't deal with the war because he is politically compromised. We all know that he is done. He has no moral authority and cannot lead the nation. His career is finished, but the country is to suffer a long drawn out removal because it is not yet politically expedient for the Conservative Party to appoint a replacement. None of the potential replacements are less laughable than Johnson was even before this mess. He has always been nothing more than a chancer, only out for himself. That he was elected first as leader of a major party and then by the country leaves an ignoble stain on the history of Britain.

Absolutely. How true.

The trouble is he will leave a legacy of damage to the nation that will take years, if not decades, from which to recover. Not just to the finances and infrastructure, but the trust we have in politicians in general; sadly that has all but disappeared as they are all justifiably tarred with the same brush. And the faith we have in each other, again brought about by politicians, such as the wigged charlatan Fabri$£nt claiming the NHS staff, the very ones people clapped on their doorsteps, were on the piss after working a few hours. And the reclining Mogg saying we shouldn't get worked up over trivial lawbreaking.

Perhaps though, the country will eventually recover to be in a stronger position than pre-buffoon. Germany did after WW2. Others probably too - my historical knowledge isn't good enough to cite others.

What is clear that there are far more people on social media attacking the Tories than defending them; which is not normal in a demographic society. So maybe there is hope something will change soon.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Imran Ahmad Khan, who was convicted of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old boy, says he will resign as Wakefield MP - triggering a by-election

A red wall seat won in 2019 by a nonce Tory with the current lot in charge - if Labour don't win that back we really are up shit creek, and so are they.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here