Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He’s being seen as leading the west in supporting Ukraine which I imagine will carry more weight.

You might well be right, but I’m not sure.

Who sees him as leading the west, the tory press?

He's good at jumping on the publicity bandwagon. Let's be honest, he was weak when it came to imposing sanctions quickly and his delays allowed oligarchs to move some of their assets! And then look at the shameful way we are dealing with refugees compared to everyone else in Europe!

But you crack on.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries defends the prime minister, calling Boris Johnson's lockdown birthday party a "brief gathering".

Dorries tweets that the PM "has been clear" about events on 19 June 2020 and already offered a full apology.

She says: "It was a brief gathering in the Cabinet Room, less than 10 minutes during a busy working day."

Defending his position as prime minister, she adds: "PM is at his best when delivering on the priorities of the British people which he will continue to do."

Dorries, a loyal supporter of Johnson, is believed to be the first cabinet minister to publicly comment on the fines.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
I'd like to see the official Met Police statement on Johnsons fine, apparently he was at the " gathering" for an hour..... if so he's still lying and so are his supporters.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
How on earth can you blame Labour for this? Johnson got a huge majority on his simplistic promise of Get Brexit Done.

Because Corbyn was ineffective as a leader, simple as. He pretty much was seen to be on the fence about Brexit and, more than him, people probably didn't like the idea of McDonnell as chancellor!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm not sure but from my list that appears to be the first party being investigated. I understood these fines today we were from party number 3, but there was mention of the 30 fines being the 30 attendees from the 100 invitees, which I believe was that first 'garden' party :shrug:

It's almost as if someone is muddying the waters and doesn't want the truth to come out, but I'm sure that isn't the case :wink:
May have been mentioned but I'm too tired to look.

The fines are being issued by party, not individual.

There is more to come, I suspect around some gatherings in the flat.

Watch this space.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I understand the anger that many will feel that I myself fell short when it came to observing the very rules that the government I lead introduced to protect the public and I accept, in all sincerity, that people have the right to expect better.

Now I feel an even greater sense of obligation to deliver on the priorities of the British people, strengthening our economy, creating jobs and opportunities, levelling up across the whole of the United Kingdom and now, of course, ensuring Putin fails in Ukraine and easing the burden on hard-working families caused by higher energy prices.

I will take forward that task with due humility but with maximum determination to fulfil my duty and do what is best for the country I serve. Thanks very much.

Charles Manson needs to get in touch with Johnsons scriptwriter. He'd be US president in no time.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1513866293203681285[/tweet]

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
A fine the same as the reduced amount for stopping on a double yellow line, technically breaking the law but no one ever has resigned for stopping on a double yellow line, time to move on its very very boring!

I think you may have misinterpreted the news, he hasn't been fined for stopping on a double yellow line.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Treasury minister Simon Clarke has give his “full support” to both the Prime Minister and Chancellor.

Clarke said on Twitter:

The PM and Chancellor have my full support. Their efforts during the pandemic have ensured the UK is now free of restrictions and avoided economic catastrophe. I for one am grateful to them for everything they have done for our country.

The PM has apologised and accepted the police’s decision today. He has accepted Sue Gray’s recommendations in full and instituted a comprehensive programme of reform in No 10. It’s time to get on with the job of governing at a crucial time at home and abroad.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Because Corbyn was ineffective as a leader, simple as. He pretty much was seen to be on the fence about Brexit and, more than him, people probably didn't like the idea of McDonnell as chancellor!

And I wish people woud stop grizzling about our electoral system. Johnson won fair and square.

Next, he needs to be voted out, fair and square.

Or thrown out for being our first ever PM with a criminal conviction :eek:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
A fine the same as the reduced amount for stopping on a double yellow line, technically breaking the law but no one ever has resigned for stopping on a double yellow line, time to move on its very very boring!

Lots of people have a problem with the Prime Minister being a criminal. Of course you might not but there will be many who do.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Any details on the FPN amounts handed out to Johnson and Sunak? I can't find any figures given.

There's this from an article by The Independent today https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-sunak-partygate-fines-b2056339.html?amp

Penalties for Covid breaches were set at £100 at the highpoint of the pandemic, but could be doubled with subsequent offences up to a maximum of £6,400. Attendance at a large gathering could attract a fine of £400 on a first offence and organisers of a large event faced maximum penalties of £10,000.

But then there was also this from the Standard back in January. https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...ckney-party-lockdown-covid-rules-b976690.html

Hackney woman fined £12,000 for holding party on day of Prince Philip
funeral.

Is it still one rule for some and one rule for others?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Treasury minister Simon Clarke has give his “full support” to both the Prime Minister and Chancellor.

Clarke said on Twitter:

The PM and Chancellor have my full support. Their efforts during the pandemic have ensured the UK is now free of restrictions and avoided economic catastrophe. I for one am grateful to them for everything they have done for our country.

The PM has apologised and accepted the police’s decision today. He has accepted Sue Gray’s recommendations in full and instituted a comprehensive programme of reform in No 10. It’s time to get on with the job of governing at a crucial time at home and abroad.

Heartwarming.

I'd comment further but I have important work to do, pandemic, Ukraine, crucial time.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
And I wish people woud stop grizzling about our electoral system. Johnson won fair and square.

Next, he needs to be voted out, fair and square.

Or thrown out for being our first ever PM with a criminal conviction :eek:

It still breaks my heart to know that one of Charlie Cope/Willy Pope/Jack Liddell's finest would still back FPTP :facepalm:

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Danny Shaw, a former BBC home affairs correspondent who is now a commentor on crime and policing, points out the fixed penalty notices appear to be issued by the police in chronological order.

He notes one of the first batch of people to receive notice of a fine was former government ethics chief Helen McNamara, reportedly for attending a leaving do on 18 June 2020.

Boris Johnson has been fined for his birthday party on 19 June 2020, we've learned today.

Shaw says the 30 fixed penalty referrals announced today correspond with the number of people who reportedly attended the birthday party.

"There are 10 other gatherings under police investigation. Fifty other people were sent questionnaires. Fines will keep on coming - for weeks," he concludes.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Boris clearly won't resign, so will the party push him out or will he march on to the next election

Nobody will do anything about it. Even the police who are supposed to work for us, not government, only investigated when public pressure got too much and now seem to be handing out the softest of penalties.

Johnson and his cronies will sweep this away with a “done and dusted, important things to get on with, thank you so much” and that will be that.
Anyone who thinks otherwise has not been paying attention. We are ruled by tyrants. The rule of law has been thrown out. Criminals are in charge.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Obviously I agree with the second part of your statement completely, but was there a significant issue over the last 2.5 years that caused you to change your view, or has it been a gradual build up.

And equally, I respect if you would rather not answer.

I think we are both agreed that the **** is not good for Britain :thumbsup:

Let me remind you of Bozza's post about you - in that you are one of the most annoying posters for the mods to manage. Remember that post ? I'm sure you can find it with all those advanced searching skills you clearly have.

Regardless, I will repeat to you what I have said numerous times - I didn't and couldn't vote for Johnson. Nor could you. Neither of us live where he stood for election. Even if you take the false position that by voting for the Tory candidate in Hove some way helped Johnson to power I need to remind you that Peter Kyle - of Labour - won the seat. And I only voted Tory for one specific reason - one of which you're very bitter about - next time is different.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
However if I was Johnson I would take the 'according to law' only applies to being faithful and bearing true allegiance to the Queen, not obeying the law in any other situation and certainly not in respect of parties where no one told me they were against the rules (well until the Met did this week).

So no need to resign as I've kept my oath the Liz.

Except of course he has already had to apologise for lying to the queen.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Another melt on R5 now saying that although the Met classed the 'gatherings' as 'parties', he doesn't see it that way.

Have the tories now adopted post-truth as the new truth?

Some people have suggested that the sky is above the sea, but I don't see it that way. Therefore it is time we move on. Upside down? I couldn't possibly comment.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
o
Let me remind you of Bozza's post about you - in that you are one of the most annoying posters for the mods to manage. Remember that post ? I'm sure you can find it with all those advanced searching skills you clearly have.

Regardless, I will repeat to you what I have said numerous times - I didn't and couldn't vote for Johnson. Nor could you. Neither of us live where he stood for election. Even if you take the false position that by voting for the Tory candidate in Hove some way helped Johnson to power I need to remind you that Peter Kyle - of Labour - won the seat. And I only voted Tory for one specific reason - one of which you're very bitter about - next time is different.

Was that really warranted?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm an ardent Brexiteer as is well known on here but I truly don't believe there is anyone ( bar Rees-Mogg ) that can defend him here. For the avoidance of doubt I don't support Johnson in any shape or form - or equally give him credit in the bank to do this because he 'delivered' Brexit. Hopefully he'll now be kicked out.

I think you are Nadine Dorries' naughty step! She'll be grossly offended.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here