Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Probably being a bit thick but I'm struggling to see the point of tests at all if they're removing the legal duty to self-isolate on a positive result.

Personally speaking I'll buy tests and I'll use them when I'm planning to see people but would wager a number of people won't bother at all. Which is up to them I guess.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Probably being a bit thick but I'm struggling to see the point of tests at all if they're removing the legal duty to self-isolate on a positive result.

Personally speaking I'll buy tests and I'll use them when I'm planning to see people but would wager a number of people won't bother at all. Which is up to them I guess.

That's the point.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
That's the point.

Boris Johnson announces that self isolation for people who test positive for Covid will be axed.

People will be asked to exercise personal responsibility just as we encourage people who may have flu to be considerate to others.

The personal responsibility bit.

I'll be as cautious as I can be. Won't stop me getting it from some selfish c**t who is sick as a dog and insists on coming in to the office.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

If you test positive you currently have to self isolate, so, you don't work and can claim SSP so there are two costs there'

No tests, they save money, on the test = no isolation and SSP claim , they save money.

Additionally, you can't track the numbers if they start rising so it looks like we are doing better than we really are. A little while ago there was a demand from within government to cease publishing new positive cases, hospitalisations and deaths.... as bad for morale.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

You work in a care home on minimum wage and only get SSP. You probably can't afford to buy tests for every day so skip a couple. After all, they're only old people in there, aren't they?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Boris Johnson announces that self isolation for people who test positive for Covid will be axed.

People will be asked to exercise personal responsibility just as we encourage people who may have flu to be considerate to others.

The personal responsibility bit.

I'll be as cautious as I can be. Won't stop me getting it from some selfish c**t who is sick as a dog and insists on coming in to the office.

Yes and you can currently get it from the same selfish person in the supermarket too.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
You work in a care home on minimum wage and only get SSP. You probably can't afford to buy tests for every day so skip a couple. After all, they're only old people in there, aren't they?

Doesn’t sound they are stopping it for those people.

Two months ago, much of the public were frantically ordering boxes of lateral flow tests to test before going out to events - or visiting family for Christmas.

Ending free asymptomatic testing for the general public on 1 April will mean an end to the "flow-before-you -go" approach to Covid. Instead, in practice, people without symptoms are now unlikely to even realise they have Covid .

The UK government's aim is to make free testing more targeted - to focus resources on those such as social care workers.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Two months ago, much of the public were frantically ordering boxes of lateral flow tests to test before going out to events - or visiting family for Christmas.

Ending free asymptomatic testing for the general public on 1 April will mean an end to the "flow-before-you -go" approach to Covid. Instead, in practice, people without symptoms are now unlikely to even realise they have Covid .

The UK government's aim is to make free testing more targeted - to focus resources on those such as social care workers.

I had to take LFT tests before my out patients appointments a couple of weeks ago. I am a retired pensioner.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Yes and you can currently get it from the same selfish person in the supermarket too.

Yeah. I guess my issue is less with the relaxation of the rules because f**k me we need to be able to enjoy life a bit from time to time and more with my general perception of the British public being a bunch of tosspots.

Present company excluded.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was under the impression that omicron was something that even I, at my age, could do "standing on me 'ead", triple vaccinated as I am, and Covid was indeed pretty innocuous when I got it over Christmas.

And yet a mate of mine, a year my junior, non-smoker, triple-jabbed, got Covid ten days ago and (quote) has never felt so ill in his life.

Johnson is throwing tens of thousands of people under a bus with his ludicrous rush for freedom. Who knew?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I’m struggling to understand the answer to the circular problem that anti viral drugs are important for combatting the virus yet free tests will be abolished. As Hilary Benn pointed out, people won’t know they have Covid so how will they access the drugs ? I think the answer was that the vulnerable will still get free tests but will that protect society from a new and more severe variant ? I have similar concerns about future booster jabs being only for the over 75s and the vulnerable. Is he just talking about free NHS jabs ? I am happy to pay for further boosters as is necessary for most with flu jabs. Just would have been great if MPs could have asked these questions to explore further Hilary Benn’s questioning.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I was under the impression that omicron was something that even I, at my age, could do "standing on me 'ead", triple vaccinated as I am, and Covid was indeed pretty innocuous when I got it over Christmas.

And yet a mate of mine, a year my junior, non-smoker, triple-jabbed, got Covid ten days ago and (quote) has never felt so ill in his life.

Johnson is throwing tens of thousands of people under a bus with his ludicrous rush for freedom. Who knew?

My wife did! It's what she's come to expect!

At least she gets another vaccine dose in the Spring...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My wife did! It's what she's come to expect!

At least she gets another vaccine dose in the Spring...

I just heard on the radio a woman whose husband is terminaly ill because his diagnosis and treatment were delayed due to Covid hospital blocking. She's 'backing Boris' because we 'need to get back to normal'. Yet another mug who doen't seem to realise that the reason Covid caught fire, blocking the NHS, is because Johnson repeatedly delayed restrictions and encouraged a culture of 'personal choice'.

My best wishes, as always. :thumbsup:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I just heard on the radio a woman whose husband is terminaly ill because his diagnosis and treatment were delayed due to Covid hospital blocking. She's 'backing Boris' because we 'need to get back to normal'. Yet another mug who doen't seem to realise that the reason Covid caught fire, blocking the NHS, is because Johnson repeatedly delayed restrictions and encouraged a culture of 'personal choice'.

My best wishes, as always. :thumbsup:

Thank you, much appreciated.

Think that drink, when we get round to it will have to be in the shade, as I have today been diagnosed with "sun damaged" skin on my forehead at my local dermatology/cancer clinic!

Would say it never rains but pours, but if it did I wouldn't have "damaged" skin!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

We've got Heard immunity now innit!
The stats are trending in the right direction, so things are looking good

but then they were at the start of December, that is how quickly Omicron passed through. Will the next variant be generally mild to those dosed up on vaccines and will we be prepared?

To hell with it this is our freedom we are talking about.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thank you, much appreciated.

Think that drink, when we get round to it will have to be in the shade, as I have today been diagnosed with "sun damaged" skin on my forehead at my local dermatology/cancer clinic!

Would say it never rains but pours, but if it did I wouldn't have "damaged" skin!

Good grief! :facepalm:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I had to take LFT tests before my out patients appointments a couple of weeks ago. I am a retired pensioner.

He mentioned about having full details in a few weeks of who has access to free tests and who doesnt.

I am not sure getting rid of tests is the best way, but I dont think spending 2billion on them is the best way either.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I’m struggling to understand the answer to the circular problem that anti viral drugs are important for combatting the virus yet free tests will be abolished. As Hilary Benn pointed out, people won’t know they have Covid so how will they access the drugs ? I think the answer was that the vulnerable will still get free tests but will that protect society from a new and more severe variant ? I have similar concerns about future booster jabs being only for the over 75s and the vulnerable. Is he just talking about free NHS jabs ? I am happy to pay for further boosters as is necessary for most with flu jabs. Just would have been great if MPs could have asked these questions to explore further Hilary Benn’s questioning.

From what I heard I found it Frustrating that the Tories just circle jerked each other and labour saying nothing much of interest - other than Benn and Bradshaw

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here