Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
100 % agree with David Mitchell in The Observer today. The faffing and false starts with getting rid of him are almost as embarrassing as the oaf himself. Can’t even get rid of this absolute clown.

“They’ve all been doing their letters, or thinking about doing their letters, to the 1922 Committee. No one knows quite how many letters there are – maybe they haven’t all been posted. Is it 30? It could be 40! It needs to be 54. David Davis even did the “In the name of God, go” bit in the Commons. Surely that’s the cue? He must be feeling embarrassed now, like he’s failed to get a Mexican wave going. Cromwell used that speech to usher in martial law, Leo Amery’s quoting it got rid of Chamberlain within a couple of days, but Johnson just ignored it and “got on with the job” of slandering the leader of the opposition and singing disco hits to his new director of communications”.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ds-law-says-boris-johnson-will-be-gone-by-now

The issue is that if there is a no confidence vote and Boris wins, there cannot be another for 12m. Horrible catch22 now where a significant number of Tory MPs want rid (I believe) but don't want to risk calling at end until it's clear the majority want him gone... But while only a few stick their heads above the parapet, no one knows whether there will be a majority.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I thought the Met were suggesting this investigation was going to cost about £1m. For that I would have expected two detectives to interview each of the 50 or so involved. This new method of Police investigation is going to result in a very dull series of 24 hours in Police Custody!!

Seems it's almost contrived to give the 50 the opportunity to collude to ensure they all give the same story, apart of course from Mr Cummings!!!

£20K on police officers to investigate, £980K on lawyers and PR to decide what to announce and how they can avoid finding the PM had broken the law.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
The issue is that if there is a no confidence vote and Boris wins, there cannot be another for 12m. Horrible catch22 now where a significant number of Tory MPs want rid (I believe) but don't want to risk calling at end until it's clear the majority want him gone... But while only a few stick their heads above the parapet, no one knows whether there will be a majority.

Then there is the problem that at present there does not seem to be an obvious heavyweight challenger to unite behind - my guess is that there are a lot of fence sitters who won't reveal themselves until they know which way the wind is blowing. The succession was made more difficult when Johnson removed those critical of him back in 2019 and most who could have replaced him are now out of the Party and/or out of politics. What remains is a servile, lightweight cabinet with no obvious talent to offer anything better; Truss has just been exposed in Moscow for the nobody she is, whilst Sunak lacks something. Outside of that cabal the only Tory MP untainted by Johnson's government is Jeremy Hunt and I'd question his heavyweight credentials.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

The issue is, 100's of them have an influential cushy ride for a few years yet, and will almost certainly be on the dole thereafter, they won't cook the golden goose even if its mouldy on the inside and festering on the outside.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
[tweet]1492447437012807680[/tweet]

Phoney. If you want to make it in politics, don't go into it because you believe something, or you want to help others. Instead, if you're craven, and really fancy yourself, join the Tory Party, and use that as a platform to try and get what you want. Because Middle England is gagging to give it to you.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
9F58095B-7811-440A-B14B-F4A8E535E417.png

9C49FB3B-28C9-4F9F-998D-336640A9B822.png

Would this normally happen in preparation for a Police interview?

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
View attachment 145284

View attachment 145285

Also, would the police normally send you a questionnaire rather than interview you under caution? The whole thing has been managed from the beginning to minimise the risk of a negative outcome for those involved. It comes as no surprise but is still a ****ing disgrace.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
View attachment 145284

View attachment 145285

Just smacks of corruption, if the report notes are being accessed by those being investigated by the Police, then Sue Gray's full report should be issued now.
This approach just reinforces the one rule for everyone other than the Conservative party who are free to do as they want without sanction.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Apparently the Government have also told the Met Police not to release any of the 300 photos they’ve been handed. Which is weird because surely they’d prove they did nothing wrong as they claim?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Apparently the Government have also told the Met Police not to release any of the 300 photos they’ve been handed. Which is weird because surely they’d prove they did nothing wrong as they claim?

If that is true, then we are no longer living in a democratic country. We live in a country no better than
Russia or China.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Standard isn't it ?

I believe the Police always tell you what you are charged with, and all the evidence they have against you prior to you having to make any kind of statement.

Don't they :shrug:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
If that is true, then we are no longer living in a democratic country. We live in a country no better than
Russia or China.
It's been that way for a while mate

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Russia or China.
So true .. I remember just the other day, an opponent of our government was poisoned with a radioactive substance, then we sent an army to the border of a democratic country threatening to invade, plus of course the government disappearing a well known female tennis player after she made allegations against a leading government figure ....

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

would the police normally release evidence, unless in court? either way, they arent police's the original source is free to publish them, so anything the government might ask is irrelevant.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So true .. I remember just the other day, an opponent of our government was poisoned with a radioactive substance, then we sent an army to the border of a democratic country threatening to invade, plus of course the government disappearing a well known female tennis player after she made allegations against a leading government figure ....

Quite right. Instead we have a Prime Minister who inspires mobs to attack the leader of the opposition on the street brandishing a noose, threaten to reinstate a hard border with a democratic country against their will violating international law and use taxpayers money to payoff people making accusations against leading members of the establishment. It’s sort of Diet Putin.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Quite right. Instead we have a Prime Minister who inspires mobs to attack the leader of the opposition on the street brandishing a noose, threaten to reinstate a hard border with a democratic country against their will violating international law and use taxpayers money to payoff people making accusations against leading members of the establishment. It’s sort of Diet Putin.

Just ignore the ****ing ****. Probably related to baker-lite

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

This particular poster said "no better than", not "undertaking exactly the same activities as".

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I can't see any of the staff at Downing Street taking up this very, very generous offer.

After all, as they would have all told the complete and unvarnished truth to Sue Gray, and will do the same for the Met, I'm sure that they will all say that there is no need to review / remind themselves of what they said to enquiry one, before they reply to enquiry two...

...Oh

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

And I can remember in 2016 the Russians fomenting social media lies that led to a referendum result that completely suited their geo-political needs thanks to useful idiots believing and repeating them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here