Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Thank you Sadiq Khan for having the courage to rid London of the head of the "institutionally corrupt" Met police. If only our PM or Home Secretary were capable of showing the same qualities of leadership.

How Dick was given the job after the Jean Charles de Menezes tragedy, and how she wasn't sacked for a catelogue of errors subsequently will probably always remain a mystery.

Good riddance.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
she's only the foreign secretary, oxford educated, she can't be expected to know everything; you get a bit nervy when the clouds of war are gathering

Has no one mentioned the fact that she told her opposite number that Britain didn't recognise Russia's sovereignty of a Russian city and region? Some have attempted to frame this as a trap by the Ruskies, but it wasn't; it was just incompetence. What the Russian was effective saying that they had every right to assemble troops and carry out drills in the areas in question (on the Ukraine border, that she should've been aware of) and was asking Truss what her problem with that was as they were in Russia. Asking if the UK recognised their sovereignty was a rhetorical question, and it probably melted the brains of everyone else in the room when she actually answered.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
To be fair, it's from Newport. At the best of times, Tories are in short supply around there (and QT does try to make its audiences reflect the political leanings of the host town).

What's been enlightening has been the hostility shown to the government in recent weeks, where the programme has been hosted in Conservative territory

I said on here a long time ago (way before Partygate and even when the Tories were still ahead in the Polls) that Johnson won't be in charge at the next GE

The Polls are now terrible for the Tories - just wait until May and the local elections - once MPs realise that they will be wiped out in two years time if they don't get rid of him.

My guess would be that the Met's investigation will finish him off, and hopefully he'll be gone - along with this dreadful cabinet.

The next PM HAS to come from outside the cabinet - let's get some adults back in the room.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Equally it seems you’re not too keen on criticism either, you’ll learn to see the benefit as you get older [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Happy to take criticism, had the original post been taken its true sense, rather than literally.
So your point is wasted.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Clearly [emoji23]
Happy to take criticism, had the original post been taken its true sense, rather than literally.
So your point is wasted.
Equally it seems you’re not too keen on criticism either, you’ll learn to see the benefit as you get older [emoji106]

And now that you have leapt in trolling yet another poster, maybe you would like to share your thoughts on the 'Tory meltdown incoming' ? You know, the actual subject of the thread ???

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
To be fair, it's from Newport. At the best of times, Tories are in short supply around there (and QT does try to make its audiences reflect the political leanings of the host town).

What's been enlightening has been the hostility shown to the government in recent weeks, where the programme has been hosted in Conservative territory

Yes and I agree to a point, but they do try and get a balanced audience through people that apply.
Their must be a fair few tories in and around Newport.
So they either did not apply or they were there but kept quiet probably due to embarrassment and knowing that their party is in a terrible mess at the moment.
I agree more enlightening to see this happen in a Tory area.
I thought that the guy from the FT was brilliant and got his points over really well.
Eustace was reluctant about Dick but finally caved in under pressure from Fiona Bruce but at least he finally said what he thinks and not what Johnson has told him to say.
I would love to see QT come from Bolsover, former Dennis Skinner Labour stronghold now Tory, voted in by ex miners who would rather cut their hands off than vote Tory, all because of Brexit.
Now to see the mess they have voted for, the lies and Brexit finally coming home to roost as a disaster for this country, I wonder if these so called hard as nails, tell it like it is northerners would admit that they regret it.
Bad enough voting Tory but to vote in an Eton educated idiot like Johnson goes totally against the grain.
It's the people of places like Bolsover, in the North that are responsible for what is happening by falling for the Brexit bullshit.
I take into consideration that the choice was very poor but they voted due to Brexit not Corbyn.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
And now that you have leapt in trolling yet another poster, maybe you would like to share your thoughts on the 'Tory meltdown incoming' ? You know, the actual subject of the thread ???

Shocking state affairs, anyway knowing your form for grassing I’m off [emoji112][emoji216]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yes and I agree to a point, but they do try and get a balanced audience through people that apply.
Their must be a fair few tories in and around Newport.
So they either did not apply or they were there but kept quiet probably due to embarrassment and knowing that their party is in a terrible mess at the moment.
I agree more enlightening to see this happen in a Tory area.
I thought that the guy from the FT was brilliant and got his points over really well.
Eustace was reluctant about Dick but finally caved in under pressure from Fiona Bruce but at least he finally said what he thinks and not what Johnson has told him to say.
I would love to see QT come from Bolsover, former Dennis Skinner Labour stronghold now Tory, voted in by ex miners who would rather cut their hands off than vote Tory, all because of Brexit.
Now to see the mess they have voted for, the lies and Brexit finally coming home to roost as a disaster for this country, I wonder if these so called hard as nails, tell it like it is northerners would admit that they regret it.
Bad enough voting Tory but to vote in an Eton educated idiot like Johnson goes totally against the grain.
It's the people of places like Bolsover, in the North that are responsible for what is happening by falling for the Brexit bullshit.
I take into consideration that the choice was very poor but they voted due to Brexit not Corbyn.

I doubt they would. It's very hard to admit that you've been conned, and most would rather convince themselves that it's the EU's fault that they haven't received their unicorns yet.

It's worth a follow of June Mummery on Twitter to get an idea of the denial of the foot-shooting situation. She's a former Brexit Party MEP and also MD of a fish market auctioneers and constantly moans that the current Brexit deal is ruining the economies of fishing towns, but believes that it would all be solved be Brexiting even harder.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Getting a bit tired of Dick jokes lately, however, as you have been making them since 2011, you are excused, as it is in your remit.

1840 in the literary sense. Good enough for Dickens, good enough for me!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Blimey (although it is the DT to be fair)…. ‘ Whisper it, but I’m beginning to see how Boris just might survive this’

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/02/10/whisper-beginning-see-boris-just-might-survive/

Extract

He’d never admit it, but Boris Johnson was all set to lock down the country last December. He was saved by his weakness. He had (again) been terrified by his scientific advisers, who wanted him to move quickly: he called a meeting for Monday December 20 to do the deed. But on the Friday before it, he lost a by-election. The next day Lord Frost resigned from the Government, appalled at its Left-wards drift. Three more Cabinet members said they’d quit if he took Sage’s advice. When the lockdown meeting came, he buckled.

The Prime Minister we see before us now is a very different creature to the one who governed by diktat for the best part of two years. He’s humbly asking Tory MPs what to do, then doing it. It’s humiliating, but it’s greatly improving the quality of the Government. He has broken free from Sage (whose advice on omicron turned out to be bunkum) and didn’t seek its advice before deciding to abolish all remaining Covid restrictions a month early. Warming to his theme, he’s now referring to this as “freedom day”.

Some of his worst ideas are being abandoned. His plans to set up an all-powerful Animal Sentience Committee to judge government policy now look doomed. His anti-obesity strategy – whereby a Conservative government would tell shops what sort of food they could and could not promote – is being shelved.

“That was his personal idea,” says one minister, “so to see it abandoned showed how his personal power has vanished. But it helps him. People resent him less.”

Politically, this is certainly humbling – but it seems to be working insofar as the rebellion is losing steam. Parliament is breaking up for half-term with no immediate threat to his leadership. He has been lucky in his enemies: when Christian Wakeford defected to Labour he revived the Tories’ sense of tribal loyalty. Being attacked by Sir John Major, who has never recovered from the Brexit referendum result, will also have helped him. An attempt to change the rules of the 1922 Committee of Tory backbenchers – to make it easier to depose him – has also failed.

This holds out the prospect – no more than that – of the big-state, bossy Boris giving way to the buccaneering, risk-taking and freedom-loving leader they thought they were getting when they first elected him. So far, it seems he’s prepared to do anything to survive. Even reform the NHS.

Thanks for posting, that's interesting as The Telegraph is not more first port of call. This seems to be wishful thinking on their behalf though. As much as the Christian[!] 'Wokeford' defection did generate tribal loyalties, it really does feel as though it's just papering over the differences between the coalition that is the Conservative Party, and the numerous different factions seeking to pull a (dramatically weakened) PM (who use to reign over all he surveyed) in all sorts of contradictory directions.
Let's see what happens in the local elections, and its aftermath (and I'm presuming that he'll probably get that far).

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Midlanders

It's the people of places like Bolsover, in the North
Midlands

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Bolsover's a weird one though. Skinner himself is a Brexiteer so they could have still voted for him and for Brexit

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Is it too late for a further Cummings Bomb to be exploded today? Johnson seems to have made it to the weekend fairly unscathed for once?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here