Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
When it becomes obvious to the governments of places like Russia and China that a government is corrupt to the core, capable of any lie to protect their position, willing to throw anyone under the bus to save their skin and act as mercenary individuals rather than a cohesive, cooperative unit working forwards the same goals. When it’s obvious that a government’s primary motivation is profit and not service to their country then every single one of those cabinet members is vulnerable to being targeted, picked off and then blackmailed or bribed. Or just downright laughed out of the room.

The Tory’s may have imbedded themselves in our sacred Palace of Westminster and they may feel invulnerable but on the wider, world stage? They are correctly viewed as a weak, corrupt, profiteering mob who have trashed Great Britain . And worst of all, it is obvious they have no love of their own country. That is viewed very dimly by most of the world.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I saw this but the Russians would seek to undermine any UK or European politician. They know there is a constituency over here very receptive to this message and this narrative very much matches Russian interests. All a part of the Phoney/Cold War.

The Russians had no intention of listening to Liz Truss.

They wanted to shoot the messenger. So they did it. They would have planned it meticulously, asking a trick question about two towns in Russia, as though they were in Ukraine. Liz Truss fell into the trap. Messenger duly shot. A good day's work.

It tells us that Liz Truss was indeed unprepared. But it also tells us that the Russians were never going to pay any attention to her anyway.

Lavrov said this. "Russia has been cheated and wronged for many years." Translated, it means the talks were always going to fail.

But we already know that Liz Truss is way out of her depth.

For me, what is more worrying is that the Russians sought to expose her. If the Russians had really wanted the diplomat talks to work, then they wouldn't have done so.

I'm sure you're part right, the Russians wanted to best an international diplomat, and we sent them the easiest possible target. Job done.

But Truss is there for three reasons alone, to take attention away from the Tories domestic embarrassments, to burnish her own leadership credentials, and to show that Britain is still relevant on the global stage. All of this is solely for domestic consumption in the UK, so why should the Russians want to play along, to be used in this way? They're not fools.

Our government is totally out of its depth here and has little credibility, even with our allies. Leave the serious stuff to France, the US, Germany, even China, if we're going to avoid a major confrontation.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
the russians play chess, and brinkmanship. they were never going to talk to liz bloody truss, we're pygmies on the international stage

Yes, they play chess, use brinkmanship, and employ 'kompromat' - 'compromising information collected for use in blackmailing, discrediting, or manipulating someone'. They didn't need to use kompromat with Liz Truss, (although they will have plenty of that on her), but just ask her a question about geography. Job done.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Pretty ignorant of her, yes. I’m just not sure that I want to be taking sides with the likes of Lavrov whilst he plays geographical verbal games with our officials then tweets his ‘superiority.’ I understand you aren’t doing so.

Lavrov manages to be both the most unpleasant and canny of operators. I really don't like the Tories (although have a soft spot for the more moderate lot) but I'll take them -- even this current shower -- over Lavrov and Putin any day.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Isn’t the nuclear deterrent of both sides meant to stop the present scenario happening?

Mutually assured destruction, anyone?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I differ a little on this. Johnson doesn't care about the truth, he cares about power and ego, legacy, etc, which is all in keeping with his relativism and 'great man' theory of history.
Blair did have strong convictions, and was far more rooted than Johnson, not just in the Third Way nonsense, but also in Christianity. I know there are plenty of others that would disagree with this, but I think he really did believe Saddam had WMD, largely because the process and those that he was ingratiated with all wanted to believe this. This to me is something entirely different from the charge that he is/was a liar. I don't think he is. Johnson, on the other hand, ...

I agree. I liked Blair. I like my Blairish colleague too. Amusingly my Blairish colleague loathed Blair. I could never work out why (he's not into party politics).

It's a funny old world.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think that there has been so much focus on the lying and corruption of Johnson and his pals lately, that people have forgotten just how incredibly incompetent this cabinet is, after all sensible conservative ministers were sacrificed on the twin pyres of Brexit and Johnson.

Russia are obviously dishonest manipulators of political situations and are very good at it having done it for years, so who do we send in to represent and defend Britain's interests ? Liz Truss (the second most experienced minister in Johnson's cabinet :shootself)

I really don't know what you can do but laugh at the total idiocy of the whole situation :lolol:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I think that there has been so much focus on the lying and corruption of Johnson and his pals lately, that people have forgotten just how incredibly incompetent this cabinet is, after all sensible conservative ministers were sacrificed on the twin pyres of Brexit and Johnson.

Russia are obviously dishonest manipulators of political situations and are very good at it having done it for years, so who do we send in to represent and defend Britain's interests ? Liz Truss (the second most experienced minister in Johnson's cabinet :shootself)

I really don't know what you can do but laugh at the total idiocy of the whole situation :lolol:

I wouldn't trust Truss to diffuse a petty bust up between a couple of up 8-year olds at the local laser quest, without the police getting involved.

She is clearly so out of her depth in this situation, you can see her drowning every time she speaks.

Having said that, as you say, all the sensible and capable alternatives have been pushed out.

Worryingly pathetic.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Dear Liz,

DACC6D9F-2FA9-421C-A213-337342EDC624.jpeg

Kind Regards
Malcolm

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I wouldn't trust Truss to diffuse a petty bust up between a couple of up 8-year olds at the local laser quest, without the police getting involved.

She is clearly so out of her depth in this situation, you can see her drowning every time she speaks.

Having said that, as you say, all the sensible and capable alternatives have been pushed out.

Worryingly pathetic.

just seen truss on ch4 news, she managed to mispronounce "minsk", twice! it's not minks you bloody idiot

:facepalm::shootself

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sadiq Khan’s statement.

View attachment 144956

Pretty clear she didn’t jump, she was ( strongly) pushed.
The list of PR disasters on her watch were endless, I think she only lasted as long as she did because she was a woman and had she been a man would have been " Resigned " sooner.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I appreciate that Armando Iannucci is VERY good, but who actually gave him the contract to write British political history of the 21st century :lolol:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here