Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm wondering what Sunak and Truss have made of the last 24 hours.

I take the view that if the Tories had a decent alternative to Johnson then the 54 letters would have gone in by now. Yet part of the Sue Gray report has been published, the police have started a criminal investigation into Johnson AND STILL the letters aren't in.

It looks like the Tory MPs have concluded a wounded Boris is still a better electoral prospect that to be led by Sunak or Truss. What does that say about the alternatives and the quality of the Cabinet Boris has assembled?

As an aside, what moral authority can Boris possibly hope to carry into his talks with Putin, especially when he has accepted big money from wealthy Russian donors with close links to Putin?

We are a global laughing stock.

I think the lack of an obvious successor is a big problem. They either carry on down the current path with one of Johnson's cronies like Sunak, Truss etc or if they want to distance themselves from the current clusterf*** they need to go outside of the current cabinet (or even party), I have heard Hammond, Hunt, Tugendhat, Davidson and even Stewart mentioned.

The problem is all the sensible choices were all ardent remainers (hence none of them being anywhere near cabinet) and would undoubtedly want a completely new cabinet and closer ties to the EU to overcome some of the growing problems. It seems almost as insurmountable as the Northern Ireland Protocol :wink:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
It's actually in Labour's interests to keep Johnson in place. If you look hard at the polling numbers and the vox pop sentiment behind them in the marginal seats, Johnson is fatally wounded (in my view). Once trust is lost, almost impossible to regain it, history suggests.

However, it's not in the national interest to keep him in #10. We are a laughing stock abroad and Brexit impacts are only going to get worse. So, Starmer calling for his resignation is a patriotic act at the expense of his own party. Expect a personal rating bounce after his strong speech yesterday.

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
It's actually in Labour's interests to keep Johnson in place. If you look hard at the polling numbers and the vox pop sentiment behind them in the marginal seats, Johnson is fatally wounded (in my view). Once trust is lost, almost impossible to regain it, history suggests.

However, it's not in the national interest to keep him in #10. We are a laughing stock abroad and Brexit impacts are only going to get worse. So, Starmer calling for his resignation is a patriotic act at the expense of his own party. Expect a personal rating bounce after his strong speech yesterday.

Absolutely correct. Thanks.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Exactly, he might start a war with Russia to save his job next, nothing would surprise me.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think the lack of an obvious successor is a big problem. They either carry on down the current path with one of Johnson's cronies like Sunak, Truss etc or if they want to distance themselves from the current clusterf*** they need to go outside of the current cabinet (or even party), I have heard Hammond, Hunt, Tugendhat, Davidson and even Stewart mentioned.

Fleet St Fox tweeted that she could think of six Tory MPs who'd make "fine" PMs - although none was currently in the cabinet (and Hunt wasn't one of them).

I've been trying to think who she meant: Tugendhat for sure. Julian Smith almost certainly, possibly Robert Halfon who seems quite decent but who else? Not Thick as Mince Davis or the Fantastic Mr Fox.

I'm struggling to think who she can mean

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Fleet St Fox tweeted that she could think of six Tory MPs who'd make "fine" PMs - although none was currently in the cabinet (and Hunt wasn't one of them).

I've been trying to think who she meant: Tugendhat for sure. Julian Smith almost certainly, possibly Robert Halfon who seems quite decent but who else? Not Thick as Mince Davis or the Fantastic Mr Fox.

Two problems with a potential complete switch of wings by the Tories:
I) The cabinet is completely stuffed with BJ sycophants plus the ERG and class of 19 are a long way to the right of the historic centre of the party, so the bloodletting exercise would be unprecedented
Ii) The Tory membership, who elect the leader, are similarly to the right and elderly

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Met police collusion

[tweet]1488510462819975171[/tweet]

It's frustrating - but I'm not sure it is collusion or a deviation from their normal policy. As I understand it, police don't routinely name people who have been issued with fixed penalty notices.

However, in this case it is important that they do (or at least release certain names), given the far wider implications at play. If Johnson is issued with a fixed penalty notice then he has misled Parliament and by the terms of the ministerial code, which he said he would abide by, he would be compelled to resign. This isn't about whether the PM gets a £100 fine or not - but whether he has broken the ministerial code.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter if the police release the names or not, as the details will be leaked irrespective. It will be impossible to keep the names of those fined secret from the press.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Things might / will change if the Tories get battered in May. I expect the prospective alternative leaders are biding their time, looking for a window of opportunity where the can make a clean break from the Boris era. I think the damage is already done re: the May elections, so no Tory in their right mind wants to lead until after those elections are done.

I agree. However, from Sunak's viewpoint April is when the NI hike and higher fuel prices kick in (with VAT still on fuel bills), so his popularity may decline. Truss is well-placed to garner brownie points if she is able to look competent in the Russian-Ukraine crisis. However, that could equally go badly for her and her standing may diminish if she makes a pigs-ear of it.

An outsider may be waiting for things to implode for all concerned, then step in but it is a huge risk to wait after the May elections because Labour and the Lib Dems could create real momentum if they have a big night, and Starmer is not the sort to make gaffes or give opportunities to the Tories.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's frustrating - but I'm not sure it is collusion or a deviation from their normal policy. As I understand it, police don't routinely name people who have been issued with fixed penalty notices.

However, in this case it is important that they do (or at least release certain names), given the far wider implications at play. If Johnson is issued with a fixed penalty notice then he has misled Parliament and by the terms of the ministerial code, which he said he would abide by, he would be compelled to resign. This isn't about whether the PM gets a £100 fine or not - but whether he has broken the ministerial code.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter if the police release the names or not, as the details will be leaked irrespective. It will be impossible to keep the names of those fined secret from the press.

Exactly.....it's not about the fines. He could have probably fessed up on Day 1, admitted his mistakes and paid a fixed penalty and quite possibly got away with it (glad he didn't)...............what a fine would do now though is absolutely confirm he broke the code. He is bound to be asked directly whether he's received a fine or not.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Truss is well-placed to garner brownie points if she is able to look competent in the Russian-Ukraine crisis. However, that could equally go badly for her and her standing may diminish if she makes a pigs-ear of it.

She'll probably claim she's been in Ukraine opening up new pork markets

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Exactly.....it's not about the fines. He could have probably fessed up on Day 1, admitted his mistakes and paid a fixed penalty and quite possibly got away with it (glad he didn't)...............what a fine would do now though is absolutely confirm he broke the code. He is bound to be asked directly whether he's received a fine or not.

Surely the issue is not that he broke the law but that he lied repeatedly and that has been 'proven' .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Bit late now, mate :rollseyes:

Plus, there's so few people there it's like the East Stand of the Amex at 80 minutes during a game on a cold, wet and windy night in November :tumble:

It's now ok to lie and accuse as long as it's done in an orderly way.

[tweet]1488491848108814341[/tweet]

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

To which he will obviously give a straight forward, honest, answer?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Tobias Ellwood?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here