Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Prison governors have been warned that jails will be so overcrowded by the second week of July that they will struggle to accept any more inmates, plunging an incoming government into an immediate crisis.

The heads of jails in England and Wales were informed by HM Prison and Probation Service officials earlier this month that data pointed to an “operational capacity breaking point” only days after the 4 July general election.

I'm aware that this has been imminent for sometime now and the current Government, with absolutely no interest in a solution, have simply used every possible method to push this impending disaster back beyond the date of the election :facepalm:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
For those who don’t know him, Sir Simon Case is the most senior civil servant and supposed to maintain standards and be apolitical.

He was appointed by Boris Johnson.

Now he is standing to become a Tory MP in a safe seat. It all smacks of the rotten boroughs of old.

Now, rather than face a hustings debate he has gone into hiding.

He went hiding when called to the covid investigation as well.

Seems like a hobby

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Or it could be their way of getting the message over 'don't transfer your blue vote over to a deformed one' to try and minimise the damage.

It looks beautiful but they must have twisted this poll so they could run it as a scare story.

They've got South Holland and the Deepings going Labour ffs. A seat where the Tory got 75% last time and a majority of 62%, the largest Tory majority anywhere for 60 years. I think that one might be safe.....

Yes - already positioning themselves so that when the Tories get a measly 100 seats they can portray it as a great success, and 'performed far better than predicted' and so on.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
What an extremely specific date.

When do you think prisons will be overrun?

Ooh, 2nd week of July, 2024.
Conveniently positioned right after the election.

No way the issue will be sorted in such a short space of time.

I do genuinely wonder what happens once jails say enough is enough and can't accommodate any more inmates

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
So why was the copper arrested but the Spad wasn’t?
Because the copper is a public servant and, with a bit of luck, will get the boot.
The Spad isn't a public servant and didn't place the bet anyway, whereas his partner did, and she's running for parliament. I almost want her to win, just so she goes down for longer.

The imbecility of the lot of them. For a few hundred quid, they've chucked a lot in (the copper will suffer in the longer term far more than the Spad and candidate), but it just demonstrates what a bunch of spivs we've had to endure for so long and that Starmer is astute in emphasising public service as being integral if (it's when, really) they get returned.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
A second Conservative candidate is being looked into by the Gambling Commission over a bet relating to the timing of the general election, the BBC can reveal.

Laura Saunders is the party’s candidate in Bristol North West and has worked for the party since 2015.
And married to the Director of Campaigning 😃😃🤣🤣

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
It looks beautiful but they must have twisted this poll so they could run it as a scare story.

They've got South Holland and the Deepings going Labour ffs. A seat where the Tory got 75% last time and a majority of 62%, the largest Tory majority anywhere for 60 years. I think that one might be safe.....
I think you're right, but hopefully they're too late to stem the tide.
Think I might stay up on election night now - just to see so many of the cabale losing their seats.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
For those who don’t know him, Sir Simon Case is the most senior civil servant and supposed to maintain standards and be apolitical.

He was appointed by Boris Johnson.

Now he is standing to become a Tory MP in a safe seat. It all smacks of the rotten boroughs of old.

Now, rather than face a hustings debate he has gone into hiding.

Simon Case is indeed the most senior civil servant in the UK (Cabinet Secretary and head of the Home Civil Service) and as such is not standing for election as an MP.

You appear to have confused him with Sir Simon Clarke, who is the subject of the article that you have linked to.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Because the copper is a public servant and, with a bit of luck, will get the boot.
The Spad isn't a public servant and didn't place the bet anyway, whereas his partner did, and she's running for parliament. I almost want her to win, just so she goes down for longer.

The imbecility of the lot of them. For a few hundred quid, they've chucked a lot in (the copper will suffer in the longer term far more than the Spad and candidate), but it just demonstrates what a bunch of spivs we've had to endure for so long and that Starmer is astute in emphasising public service as being integral if (it's when, really) they get returned.
The cop is deserving of no sympathy here. The politicians have been caught out and will get their judgement at the polling booths. Beyond that nothing to see. The gambling commission could run the Tory party a close race for brass necks. No one was forced to run a book on the date of the general election. As usual they have no complaints about all the bets they profited from. They should pay up and shut up, the bloody thieves.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Simon Case is indeed the most senior civil servant in the UK (Cabinet Secretary and head of the Home Civil Service) and as such is not standing for election as an MP.

You appear to have confused him with Sir Simon Clarke, who is the subject of the article that you have linked to.
Yes. Sir Simon Case is indeed the country's senior Civil Servant who "went sick" when it was his turn to fess up at the covid enquiry.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Just imagine if Laura Saunders was married to the Conservative Party’s Director of Campaigns? The fella at the heart of the decision to call the election. That would look a bit dodgy but not bad enough for a Daily Mail headline one would suspect.

And married to the Director of Campaigning 😃😃🤣🤣

His garden is looking nice though......

1718875822874.png

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
When they look at the worst political campaigns of all time this must be number one. The director of campaigns going to ground in the middle of the campaign is the icing on top of the cake. I am just waiting for the cherry.
Polls yesterday suggest that Rishi himself, is in genuine danger of becoming the first incumbent PM of all time, to lose his own seat in a GE.

Would that do as the cherry...?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

As I have acknowledged in an earlier post. I recognise my mistake.

Sir Simon Clarke won't attend the hustings.

Simon Case is the one who refused to appear before the COVID enquiry and was probably convalescing long term sick at the Garrick Club.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
What baffles me over the betting issue is that the Spad had cast iron insider knowledge about the GE date - and then he only had a £100 on it!

And for him to be traced so quickly and easily he must have placed his bet online. How idiotic?

Everyone knows that if you get insider info like that, you trawl around several towns going into different shops and spreading out your stake over multiple outlets, paying in cash. Not foolproof but way better chance of getting away with it.

The Spad should get extra time for his stupidity :lol:

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
Polls yesterday suggest that Rishi himself, is in genuine danger of becoming the first incumbent PM of all time, to lose his own seat in a GE.

Would that do as the cherry...?
I hope something succulent will arrive during election night. I will settle for Hunt, Shapps and Rees-Mogg all contributing to several cherries.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here