Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yeah, but it was David Cameron's overconfidence about the Brexit vote that lined it up the bungler to step in and fukk it all up completely.

And there's the ultimate irony. In order to try and paper over the cracks in his party, he kicked off a chain of events which could ultimately destroy it :shootself

Obviously with sterling support from Johnson, Truss and Sunak :lolol:

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Any more business people jumping ship following John Caudwell and Theo Paphitis. I see even Jim Ratcliffe has been sticking the knife in.

I’ve noted this recent trend of “Captains of Industry” telling everyone publicly which way they’re going to vote.

Am I alone in being slightly uncomfortable with it? I can’t precisely say why I’m uncomfortable with it, it just feels a bit “hey unwashed masses who I openly despise, I’m voting Labour, so it’s ok for you plebs to vote Labour too.”

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
For those who don’t know him, Sir Simon Case is the most senior civil servant and supposed to maintain standards and be apolitical.

He was appointed by Boris Johnson.

Now he is standing to become a Tory MP in a safe seat. It all smacks of the rotten boroughs of old.

Now, rather than face a hustings debate he has gone into hiding.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I’ve noted this recent trend of “Captains of Industry” telling everyone publicly which way they’re going to vote.

Am I alone in being slightly uncomfortable with it? I can’t precisely say why I’m uncomfortable with it, it just feels a bit “hey unwashed masses who I openly despise, I’m voting Labour, so it’s ok for you plebs to vote Labour too.”
It has always happened though. Normally they’ve been silent or supported Tories, but even they know that the Tories are in such open rebellion that they will only damage UK Plc more.

This election is far far from over. We must not let Sunak rule from a party so determined to lurch from right to far right all the time.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
For those who don’t know him, Sir Simon Case is the most senior civil servant and supposed to maintain standards and be apolitical.

Now he is standing to become a Tory MP in a safe seat. It all smacks of the rotten boroughs of old.

Possibly a misunderstanding, but that article is about Sir Simon Clarke

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
C

Case is not standing for election. But Starmer will boot him out when he wins

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022

Just had a well attended hustings in Medway for all three of our local seats run by the local paper. Not one of the three Tories turned up ( two sitting M.P.s and one new candidate ). They are just running away from public engagement and scrutiny about their record and future policies.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Another of Sunak’s inner circle being investigated for betting on the election date.

Sunak made millions betting against UK banks and the UK economy in the 2008 crash, I suppose his inner circle are just taking the lead from their boss?
To be far it's the MET.

I was gonna start a MET Meltdown thread, but it would be longer that the Tory one.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Some of us have been saying this for over a decade now, but here we go, confirmation that the Tory governments between 2010 and 2024 have been the worst in postwar history:

And Anthony Seldon is basically an old-style One Nation Tory!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

The Tories were happy enough when the likes of Sean Connery, The Bee Gees, Cilla, Bob Monkhouse, the actor who played Ken Barlow, Rod Hull (and Emu), Jimmy Savile, Ronnie Biggs and 'Mad' Frankie Fraser provided their endorsements. What's good for the goose....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Ah yes, the one who spent months on sick leave, on full pay when it was his turn to give evidence to the covid enquiry?
Yet, happy to stand for a party who want to reduce benefits for those on long term sick.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
There is a small but potential risk that a crushing Conservative defeat with a reasonable Reform vote could lead to the rise of Farage as leader of a future "New Conservative" type party merged with Reform.

So be careful what you wish for, as things can have unintended consequences.

Given the complete shambles of the Reform manifesto, anything giving Farage actual power would be catastrophic. The Truss fiasco would be miniscule in comparison.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
There is a small but potential risk that a crushing Conservative defeat with a reasonable Reform vote could lead to the rise of Farage as leader of a future "New Conservative" type party merged with Reform.

Given the complete shambles of the Reform manifesto, anything giving Farage actual power would be catastrophic. The Truss fiasco would be miniscule in comparison.

But Shirley no one would be stupid enough to vote for Farage as PM ......

.... or that narcissistic, moronic liar Johnson to lead the country for 5 years

.... or to destroy the UK's economy by voting to Leave the EU ?

Oh F***, you've now got me worried ???

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

He'll get found out like Johnson was.

Nothing to do with his politics, just the self serving interest and the British public (most of which aren't on Twitter) turn quite very quickly.

It's going to very interesting if he wins Clacton and gets real political exposure for the first time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here