Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
What is increasingly pathetic is how Boris sees every interview as an opportunity to get whatever is top of his agenda out there to the people, whilst flagrantly disregarding whatever question he is asked by his inquisitor.

In the recent past it has always been about the successful roll-out of the vaccine programme. Now it is his carefully-worded apology to the British people. He has a 'Boris' filter that takes a question and diverts it to his preferred topic or whatever he wants to talk about. I can't believe people were mugged off by it in the first place. He's lost the dressing room, he's lost the fans.

I would love to see a journo have the gumption to call Boris out on it:

Journo: "Did you lie to parliament about attending parties at #10?"

Boris: "The successful rollout of vaccines..."

Journo, interrupting: "I didn't ask about vaccines, did you lie?"

Boris: "Well, we need to wait for Sue..."

Journo, breaking in again: "It's a simple yes or no question. Did you lie to parliament?"

Boris: "No one told me..."

Journo: "If you can't answer the question, this interview is over. Thanks for your time. Not."

I know we still wouldn't get a straight answer, but I'd love to see the car crash that it would turn into.

Maybe Starmer will do it for us at PMQs:

Starmer: "Have you lied to Parliament?"

Boris: "Well, the thing the people really want is for us to get on with levelling up [waffle waffle]"

Starmer, directing his gaze to the Speaker: "He's not answered the question. I'll ask it again [...]"

Boris: "waffle waffle Sue Gray waffle waffle."

Starmer, once again talking to the speaker: "He's not answered a simple question. I'll ask it again [...]"

etc etc, ending up with Starmer demanding that the Speaker allow him to keep asking the question until a straight answer is given.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He’s teetering on the edge………one more slight nudge in the back and he’s in more pooh than the lad who hugged Webster last night who’s about to get a CEO email.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I love a Tory leadership contest.

Looking forward to it, the sooner the better.

Hopefully Cruella Patel or Dim Dom don't get it though.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Journo, breaking in again: "It's a simple yes or no question. Did you lie to parliament?"

Journo: "If you can't answer the question, this interview is over. Thanks for your time. Not."

I know we still wouldn't get a straight answer, but I'd love to see the car crash that it would turn into.

Boris: "Well, the thing the people really want is for us to get on with levelling up [waffle waffle]"

Starmer, directing his gaze to the Speaker: "He's not answered the question. I'll ask it again [...]"

Starmer, once again talking to the speaker: "He's not answered a simple question. I'll ask it again [...]"

etc etc, ending up with Starmer demanding that the Speaker allow him to keep asking the question until a straight answer is given.

this saves us all watching PMQs.
would like to see Starmer at least try a different tack (focus on the moral position rather than rules), or wrong foot Johnson with a different topic. not like there isnt a list of other issues.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Honestly don't know why opposition leaders bother turning up for PMQs.

All you get, whomever is in power, are either snide comebacks or complete avoidance of questions asked. It's a pointless exercise.

Would love for an oppo leader to just say "nah, f**k it - I'm going to be off doing some actual work instead of wasting my time in this chamber"

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Beth Rigby pretty much nailed him on this here.

[video]https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnson-says-nobody-told-me-no-10-lockdown-garden-party-was-against-the-rules-12519115[/video]

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

All politicians do the same nowadays. Blair was a past master. To be honest I understand why they do it as the alternative is to be bullied by leading and weighted questions by journos.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The thing I struggle to understand is when, for so many who voted for Johnson in the Leave campaign and/or subsequent General Election, did this superb economic strategist, excellent international negotiator, master of diplomacy and brilliant leader of the UK Government that you decided was the man to take Britain forward into a new age, become a proven lying, duplicitous, unscrupulous, self obsessed, deceitful, unprincipled, corrupt, egotistical ****

Did it happen gradually over the last 2 years or was there a certain point that made you think, 'my goodness, he's changed completely since I voted for him' :wink:

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
The thing I struggle to understand is when, for so many who voted for Johnson in the Leave campaign and/or subsequent General Election, did this superb economic strategist, excellent international negotiator, master of diplomacy and brilliant leader of the UK Government that you decided was the man to take Britain forward into a new age, become a proven lying, duplicitous, unscrupulous, self obsessed, deceitful, unprincipled, corrupt, egotistical ****

Did it happen gradually over the last 2 years or was there a certain point that made you think, 'my goodness, he's changed completely since I voted for him' :wink:

Oh come on WZ (or should I call you Captain Hindsight?), at the time there was absolutely no evidence in the public domain that Johnson is a lying, duplicitous, unscrupulous, self obsessed, deceitful, unprincipled, corrupt, egotistical ****

How was anyone supposed to know? ???

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Oh come on WZ (or should I call you Captain Hindsight?), at the time there was absolutely no evidence in the public domain that Johnson is a lying, duplicitous, unscrupulous, self obsessed, deceitful, unprincipled, corrupt, egotistical ****

Yeh, nobody told me

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Beth Rigby pretty much nailed him on this here.

[video]https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnson-says-nobody-told-me-no-10-lockdown-garden-party-was-against-the-rules-12519115[/video]

That is excruciating.

It's not exactly news that he has no shame, but REALLY?!

I feel my opinions starting to change - maybe it's best for the country if he doesn't resign (or get sacked) as him still being in place is the best chance of getting rid of the Tories at the next election

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Tory meltdown incoming...

Many, many people voted Johnson in on one issue, getting Brexit done with his oven baked deal.

People were not that stupid to have not known his true colours; this sort of stuff was priced in:

“ a proven lying, duplicitous, unscrupulous, self obsessed, deceitful, unprincipled, corrupt, egotistical ****”

The fact is, having seen the horrific behaviour from the PM having now got the thing they want, the Johnson voters no longer want to pay the price, people now want a refund.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Many, many people voted Johnson in on one issue, getting Brexit done with his oven baked deal.

People were not that stupid to have not known his true colours; this sort of stuff was priced in:

“ a proven lying, duplicitous, unscrupulous, self obsessed, deceitful, unprincipled, corrupt, egotistical ****”

The fact is, having seen the horrific behaviour from the PM having now got the thing they want, the Johnson voters no longer want to pay the price, people now want a refund.

Obviously people weren't that stupid, but isn't it normal practice to return what you bought in order to get a refund :wink:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Fair point, Boris has upped his game a bit.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

All true....

and while we will continue to experience the unfortunate Brexit fallout, in some ways Brexit really is 'done'. That being the case, the useful idiot Boris Johnston can be cast away now......

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I'm only just found about:

The Garden Bridge. 53 Million ( 43M public money )

Water Cannons: £322,834 (including £1000 on new stereos) minus the £11,025 they got from the scrap yard.

"Boris Island" Airport: £5.2 million budget, unknown how much was returned to the public purse.

Hire Bikes: £225 million and counting. Were supposed to be zero cost like the equivalent scheme in Paris that makes the city 21m a year.

Olympic stadium conversion: £305.5m

ArcelorMittal Orbit. £6.1m - loss making helter skelter on the Olympic Park built so Boris could ANY involvement in the Olympics.

Emirates Air Line £24m - Unwanted cable car across the Thames

New Routemaster Bus - £321.6m

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL US ?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

I’ve voted Tory ever since I became old enough to vote. Except in 2020. In spite of the complete absence of any viable alternatives, I simply could not bring myself to vote for such an odious, reprehensible man. And that was based only on what I knew then; that Boris Johnson is out for Boris Johnson, and screw anyone else. That he would lie, lie, lie and deceive to suit his own personal agenda, irrespective of what might be for the greater good of the nation and people he is supposed to serve. That his leadership would be fundamentally dangerous for this country.

Honestly, I wish I’d been ever so wrong, I really do. I perhaps hadn’t seen quite what was coming in the shape of the pandemic two years ago when I entered the polling station, and perhaps he deserves some slack for the situation that faced the UK and world just a couple of months later. But no, his management of the situation these last two years has been catastrophically inept and utterly bereft of any empathy or moral decency.

It’s not time for him to go; that time passed long ago. I hope and pray though that this time, for the sake of our nation, he finally falls on his sword. A disgusting human being whom I’m ashamed has ever been the figurehead of our country; goodbye and good riddance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here