Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top ten Albion results of all time

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think the thread title's misleading. If it's only based on people's memories then it's not "of all time".

For example, the Charity Shield win over Villa should really be top - that was an astonishing result - but that's long out of living memory.The promotion-clinching win over Watford, 6-0, with Adrian Thorne grabbing five must be up there too.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Great Occasions : Aston Villa 59 (My first) Cup Final 83, Replay 83 Semi Final 83 Doncaster 2011 Darlington 65 Bristol R 87 Blackpool 78

Performances: Derby 76 Anfield 83 Peterborough 2010 Man City 79 Wolves(a) 79 (Ward 3) Wisbech 65-6

I'll only count matches I was at

Hereford 1-1 97

United 2-2 83

Sheff weds 2-1 83

Bristol City 1-0 83

Any Wins v Palace

Norwich 1-0 83

Blackburn 2-1 79

Doncaster 1-0 97

Millwall 4-1 91

Southampton 3-1 09

probably missed out some corkers, but that's off the top o me head

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Forest 0 - 1 Brighton - the European Champions 79/80 unbeaten at home for just about ever..... Gerry Ryan if I remember.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Brighton 3 - 1 Blackpool - Although it conspired, quite literally, that Southampton and Tottenham had drawn so we didn't go up
Brighton 2 - 2 - Man Utd FA Cup Final first game
Brighton 1 - 0 Forest - Double over the European Champions 79-80
Forest 0 - 1 Brighton - Double over the European Champions 79-80
Newcastle 1 - 3 Brighton - Promotion to Div 1 (old)
Brighton 4 - 1 Millwall - Play off leg 1991
Liverpool 1 -2 Brighton - 1982/83 FA Cup 5th Rd
Hereford 1 -1 Brighton - Saved us from the abyss
Brighton 2 - 1 Doncaster - Final game at the Goldstone and a life saving 3 points
Brighton 3 -1 Tottenham - The conspiracy season, we absolutely tore them apart

thats a good list, 10 is not enough, the entire cup run of 83 should be included, the replay away win at Newcastle was an outstanding result. I also think as someone else suggested the 1-0 away win at Liverpool when they were dominent in the world at the time (own goal, Hansen if i remember) and did they then go unbeaten for another year until the 5th round of the FA Cup where we turned them over again.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Beating Derby County and Ipswich Town (both League Cup Games if I recall correctly). They were Div 1 and we were Div 3.

We beat WBA 2-0 at The Hawthorns after Ipswich. This was when WBA were in the top 3 of Div 1 (Atkinson and all that).

2 goals to a certain Peter Ward.

Certainly one of my top 10.

Walsall 7-0 after being 0-0 at ht - esp as Walsall were our bogey side. This was around the time of the LC run.

Beating Torquay 3-1 in the snow,when we were 1-0 down with only 5 mins to go. I think this was the season we got promoted with Pat Saward.

Same Season beating Aston Villa 2-1 at Goldstone ,with that goal from Willie Irvine.

Cup Semi and Final of course.

For the occasion and dramatic win 2-1 Doncaster - 1st League game at Amex

Hereford and Doncaster D4 survival games.

Liverpool cup victories Home and away

Losing 3-2 at home to the best side Wolves ever had - 1969 I think

More then ten - but does it matter.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think the thread title's misleading. If it's only based on people's memories then it's not "of all time".

For example, the Charity Shield win over Villa should really be top - that was an astonishing result - but that's long out of living memory.The promotion-clinching win over Watford, 6-0, with Adrian Thorne grabbing five must be up there too.

Hence I said on the OP "your defining top ten Albion results of all time that you remember/have been to"

Jun 18, 2011
tunbridge wells
The last game of the season 91 v Ipswich Town at home. Had to win to get into the playoffs. Perry Digweed saves penalty from Chris Kiwomya, ball still in play me and a few north standers on the pitch, got shouted at by Perry. Scores level at 1 each we get a freekick on the left handside of the penalty area, seconds to go Deano curls a beauty past Phil Parkes. Game over! Cue mass pitch invasion. I was running like a whirling dervish and got caught by a tv camera, got bollocked when i got home. Best bit was the tannoy announcer at oakwell telling jubilant barnsley fans that brighton had won therefore barnsley werent in playoffs. My finest goldstone memory!:thumbsup:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hence I said on the OP "your defining top ten Albion results of all time that you remember/have been to"

But that's a meaningless sentence: "of all time" and "that you remember" are mutually exclusive. You can say "top ten results of all time" or "top ten results that you remember/have been to" but not both.

They're both interesting questions though.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
But that's a meaningless sentence: "of all time" and "that you remember" are mutually exclusive. You can say "top ten results of all time" or "top ten results that you remember/have been to" but not both.

They're both interesting questions though.

Oh dear, I'm not getting into an argument over a simple OP.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Correct. We beat Ipswich and West Brom.

You have come up with a good list there LB

On a (very) pedantic note, we beat Blackpool 2-1. Remember that day, and the disappointment afterwards as if it was yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlWkrRbeb_o

Yeah I got corrected on two scores, was at the Blackpool game to, getting crushed half to death in the north stand! Sadly my memory sucks, hence the incorrect results!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yeah I got corrected on two scores, was at the Blackpool game to, getting crushed half to death in the north stand! Sadly my memory sucks, hence the incorrect results!

I had to check. I thought it was 2-0!

Looking at that game again. Did you see the number of fans sitting in FRONT of the terracing walls.

I was in the South Stand. Some bugger put around a rumour that Saints were winning (Think it was Rev). Totally deflated at the end.

Will happily take 2-1 tomorrow.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm too much of a JCL to remember the games before '83. So with that in mind, and the fact that most of our best results have been mentioned already, I'll throw in the 2-2 draw vs Liverpool in '91 (before the rise of manure).

miffy6

Mar 7, 2009
4-1 against wolves in 03. Dreadful season, we were bottom and somehow produced this beauty of a result.

welshseagull

Jul 12, 2011
Help with a memory please

I seem to recall a cup match against Burnley (then a real top side with Ray Pointer and others) that ended 3-3. Probably about '63/'64.

Also a home defeat by Bolton sticks in my mind, obviously not for the result but for a certain Peter Ward. We hadn't had a sniff all game and then out of nowhere, from the half way line he smacked a thunderbolt against the bar. If it had gone in it would have been the goal of the century.

Anyone remember either of these matches or am I just dreaming them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here