Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top Gear

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Superb episode, best for quite a while and a great tribute Senna.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
thats what i dont get

id NEVER seen that before, but it smacks of double standards that people criticise schumacher for his driving into people to win a title, whereas senna does something that could kill himself and his opponent and is considered genius

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
id NEVER seen that before, but it smacks of double standards that people criticise schumacher for his driving into people to win a title, whereas senna does something that could kill himself and his opponent and is considered genius

I know its like senna can do this but if schmacher does it then we must hate schmacher

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Did Schumacher ever stop to try to help when he saw that a rival driver had had a crash?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Did Schumacher ever stop to try to help when he saw that a rival driver had had a crash?

I doubt it. He'd probably caused it.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

so stopping to make sure somebody was ok excuses causing what could have been a life-ending crash? got ya

im not sure what that has to do with my point anyway. i dont think there is any doubting that senna was a great man for both his charity work (of which michael does a hell of a lot also) and his compasion as well as a great driver - arguably the best ever. my point was that, had schumacher of done a similar stunt then there would have been total outcry, whereas people just seem to have laughed it off and admired senna for doing so

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
so stopping to make sure somebody was ok excuses causing what could have been a life-ending crash? got ya

im not sure what that has to do with my point anyway. i dont think there is any doubting that senna was a great man for both his charity work (of which michael does a hell of a lot also) and his compasion as well as a great driver - arguably the best ever. my point was that, had schumacher of done a similar stunt then there would have been total outcry, whereas people just seem to have laughed it off and admired senna for doing so

I don't think (not for me, at least) people's admiration for Senna has much to do with that. I can see why he did it though.

I see it almost as him being admired in spite of that, just as people admire Schumacher in spite of his questionable sportsmanship on numerous occasions, or just as people admire Cantona in spite of the kung fu incident.

As for the other thing, it just serves to show the duality of the man. He was ruthless enough to smash Prost off the road, yet compassionate enough to risk his own life doing that. Takes a pretty special person to show both extremes.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There were plenty of people, myself included, who did not like Senna whilst he was alive. The reasons were much the same as why they don't like Schumacher. If Schumacher had been killed at his peak, he would be perceived very differently today.

I don't think that there are double standards, there was outrage when Senna took Prost out, quite rightly. But Senna, like Schumacher, didn't give a f***, he'd won.

Dying young changes the perception over the years. I now agree that Senna was the best ever, but did he piss me off when he was winning everything? Yes he did.

So many similarities with Schumacher.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I I see it almost as him being admired in spite of that, just as people admire Schumacher in spite of his questionable sportsmanship on numerous occasions, or just as people admire Cantona in spite of the kung fu incident.

A lot of people here admire Cantona BECAUSE of the kung fu incident :lolol:

As for Senna, well as Hamilton said, the cars were a lot more difficult to drive. Rightly or wrongly dying can change peoples' opinion of an individual. I don't think there's much doubt that Senna was far more ruthless than Schmacher though.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
A good episode of TG last night. I rarely watch it these days, because it is so fake and scripted, but watched last nights just becuase I knew TC was on it. Both Cruise and Ms Diaz seemed to genuinely enjoy it, and were great sports. Can't say I would normally like her, she can't act for toffee, but was quite entertaining in the show.

The Senna tribute was top quality.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Schumacher's attitude is only really criticised in this country, primarily because he ran Damon Hill of the road to win the title.

Simple as that really.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Compared with Senna's era we are really in procession driving now, Mansell, Senna, Hill etc it was, IMHO, much more about the driver and less about the car.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Watching that made me realise just how dull F1 is now compared to when I started watching. Senna gaining 5 places in the rain, knocking over one second off a lap to get on pole!
Back in the early to mid ninties with F1 and the Super touring cars motor racing was much more exciting.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Watching that made me realise just how dull F1 is now compared to when I started watching. Senna gaining 5 places in the rain, knocking over one second off a lap to get on pole!
Back in the early to mid ninties with F1 and the Super touring cars motor racing was much more exciting.

True - but then F1 in the wet now is more exciting than in the dry ... it was also much more dangerous - Lewis H couldn't beleive how little protection he had in Sennas car, said he could punch through the side of it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

schumacher is German and he did it to our Damon not some Frenchie

Huge difference!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Great episode last night. IMO Second best of the series to last weeks. Looks like the BBC are prepared to get some A-List celebs doing the Star in a reasonably priced car segment.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Schumacher's attitude is only really criticised in this country, primarily because he ran Damon Hill of the road to win the title.

Simple as that really.

I think Schumacher proved just what a twat he is when he tried to shove Barichello into the wall yesterday.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ferrari-458-Italia.jpg

That Ferrari 458 Jeremy tested last night was just..... :love:

Bit stupid how the satnav screen cancels out the speedometer and vice-versa though. How can Ferrari deign and build such an achingly beautiful machine as that, and then have such a dopey arrangement on the dash ? The indicators on the steering wheel look like a bit of a 'mare as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here