Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tony I love you.

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
I have no idea how many more signings we will get done before the window shuts.
And who may still leave

But right now I am about as happy an Albion fan as i have ever been.

Its genuinely surreal

Thank you Tony you truly are 1 of a kind.
I want to love him more, but I like progressive growth. Casting our net so far wide does this mean the death of our academy or just filling a hole until a few more gems come through?
Hope fully we will have a rough idea by the end of October or before if we are extremely good or bad.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Probably thinking things might have been different if he hadn't persuaded Tony to take a hugely extravagant punt on Fati?
Indeed what with that and Dahoud. Maybe the personality traits that we all loved when he was on the touchline really don't work in a healthy business relationship with your bosses. And I think we can all agree that when things started to go awry last season the sulky press conferences and digs at transfer policy were not great. It was always going to end in tears.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I want to love him more, but I like progressive growth. Casting our net so far wide does this mean the death of our academy or just filling a hole until a few more gems come through?
Hope fully we will have a rough idea by the end of October or before if we are extremely good or bad.
Hardly. Our U16s are in Austria at Red Bull Salzburg today starting the Next Generation Trophy (see other thread, first game live on YouTube at 1.10pm), having just won a long-established tournament in Northern Ireland in only our second year of entering (with an U16 side in an U17 tournament). We’ve also got internationals scattered throughout the age groups………

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
It’s really interesting to ponder, isn’t it? I wonder what he does make of it.

Suspect he is too busy ensuring that Mason Greenwood doesn’t get the horn.

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
Hardly. Our U16s are in Austria at Red Bull Salzburg today starting the Next Generation Trophy (see other thread, first game live on YouTube at 1.10pm), having just won a long-established tournament in Northern Ireland in only our second year of entering (with an U16 side in an U17 tournament). We’ve also got internationals scattered throughout the age groups………
Perhaps I didn't put my point across well, is it the talent isn't ready yet and we are plugging the holes with hard cash, until any talent can come through but if we keep splashing the cash, the development resource would almost become redundant. I will check out their progress thanks👍

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Perhaps I didn't put my point across well, is it the talent isn't ready yet and we are plugging the holes with hard cash, until any talent can come through but if we keep splashing the cash, the development resource would almost become redundant. I will check out their progress thanks👍
Rarely works in that a player goes from Academy to first team when we’re at the level we are - most will go 16/18/21s then be loaned out as part of their development - the talent that isn’t ready will be mostly on loan currently so you need to look at the full complement of players. We will still always look to buy players to supplement our own, equally we’ll have the cash available through selling what we develop when the time and price is right. Working pretty well at the moment

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I’m a bit concerned about the spending tbh. But in my defence I was never a complainer about lack of signings before.

To me the concern comes from too many wholesale changes and lack of friendlies to integrate them. I suppose there is internal games we don’t know about…but we’re spending a lot on unproven players when we know all too well ~£10m can get you Mitoma, Veltman and Gilmour combined.

It’s an important window because these signings must be a success rather than the lower risk signings not quite making the grade. In that category I’d include Adingra as he’s been mooted as a sale in this window with likely profit. His fee was modest and he performed well at times but all the £25m+ recruits need to establish themselves as key players by December.

(IMO)

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I think the academy is just 1 of multiple strings on the bow.

Of course its great to get homegrown youngsters coming through to 1st team, but any player that can potentially be improved and turn a profit is all part of the grand plan, even if they don't make the grade at first team level.

We're a quality used player salesman!

Super Sub

Aug 13, 2016
There is no denying what Tony Bloom has done for us. He, along with a top class team have put Brighton on the map. We are no longer "little old Brighton" and are respected around the world as a model club for the way we are run. We have top end facilities and an infrastructure which is up there with the best of them. The squads not looking too shabby either...
I obviously dont know the figure but Tony has invested hundreds of millions in to this club. He is though a very shrewd business man and this is of course can be evidenced by the successful businesses he already runs.
In the end i believe that Brighton will be his biggest earner. Taking our squad value, growth, infrastructure and facilities in to account alone, we must be worth well in excess of a Billion pounds now.
Tony will have earned every penny of that money though and when he does eventually cash in, i dont know one fan who would begrudge him that

Thank you Mr Bloom

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here