Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom - you're a disgrace

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I can understand the view that RS should have been given more time but we do not want to be in the same position this season as DK put us in last season by not changing MA when he should have and not left it so late. I would assume that the new manager will be given funds to bring in the players that he wants rather than as TCB suggests Feb/ Mar when the transfer window is closed. If there are to be no new funds available then it is pointless sacking him.

An appointment on Tuesday may give us the nudge we need to go on and have a succesful November against the odds.

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
I am today ashamed to be a Brighton fan. Deeply ashamed to associate myself with a club who sack a man who performed some kind of miracle last season to get that disgrace of a squad, built by Dean Wilkins & Micky Adams, winning the games to keep us up.

The naivity of some people who think getting rid of Russell will get us winning games is ludicrous. He was one of the only good things about this football club. Some of our players need to have a good look at themselves as we're in this mess purely because of them.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I am today ashamed to be a Brighton fan. Deeply ashamed to associate myself with a club who sack a man who performed some kind of miracle last season to get that disgrace of a squad, built by Dean Wilkins & Micky Adams, winning the games to keep us up.

The naivity of some people who think getting rid of Russell will get us winning games is ludicrous. He was one of the only good things about this football club. Some of our players need to have a good look at themselves as we're in this mess purely because of them.

I may be wrong (and please feel free to heckle me mercilessly if I am) but I don't think the points we won under Russ Slade last season carry over to this one. As I say, I'll need to consult my copy of Rothman's to check, but I think we started with a clean slate this season.

???

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
I may be wrong (and please feel free to heckle me mercilessly if I am) but I don't think the points we won under Russ Slade last season carry over to this one. As I say, I'll need to consult my copy of Rothman's to check, but I think we started with a clean slate this season.

???

That is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. That statement reads to me 'history means nothing'. How about we just release all of the criminals from all of the prisons in the world because what they've done in the past is irrelevant?

The fact is Slade proved himself at the end of last season. Why is it that every Brighton fan expects a season where we survived on the final day to be followed by a promotion? That's not the way football, or indeed life, works. Our squad was so bad last season that this year and next year were clearly going to be about rebuilding, ready to possibly kick on with when falmer is ready.

We're not even in the relegation zone for Christ's sake.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It must be really sad spending time on a messageboard and instead of debating with people just abusing them. Do let me know what stage your life is at so that that's become a part of it and I'll make sure I never go there.

Lol, thanks. you made me laugh. :bowdown:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Couldn't agree more:clap:

Everyone expecting some sort of miracle turnaround when we get a new man might be badly let down. And the fact a lot of people are shouting for Coppell to return proves they really must have been asleep last season when it was obvious going back doesn't work. Oh well, there is now 1% of me that would find it slightly amusing if we go down and that's a bit sad. A rich man can build a stadium but he knows no more about football than the man with nothing.

Although I disagree with the initial "Bloom is a joke" comment, I do think it is a very sad day for the club. I think it is a decision that was coming but some people on here lack class with their delight over the sacking of someone who saved us last season and seems a really decent bloke. Personally, I am gutted he has gone.

Having said that, I do understand the decision. This season wasn't good enough and we shouldn't be in 20th place with the squad we have. I wish Russell Slade the best for the future and am sure he will prove us wrong. Hopefully we can start climbing the league with whoever is the new manager (please not Dennis Wise).

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Coppell is 57-ish, been around loads of clubs and has just finished a job at a club that's exactly what we want to become. What's his motivation for doing it with us at this stage of his career?

Didn't realise he was that old!

But if he is a target and accepts the job, then surely that would signal his motivation? I don't think he would do it just for the money.

edit he is 54!!

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
That is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. That statement reads to me 'history means nothing'. How about we just release all of the criminals from all of the prisons in the world because what they've done in the past is irrelevant?

The fact is Slade proved himself at the end of last season. Why is it that every Brighton fan expects a season where we survived on the final day to be followed by a promotion? That's not the way football, or indeed life, works. Our squad was so bad last season that this year and next year were clearly going to be about rebuilding, ready to possibly kick on with when falmer is ready.

We're not even in the relegation zone for Christ's sake.

Apologies for the sarcasm. Of course history does mean something, but as has been pointed out on here already, Slade's record was patchy even last season. He may well have pulled out out of the shit again, but that's not what Tony Bloom is looking for this season, and I think his patience gave out over the course of the last 2 matches, when it was clear we had learnt nothing from the previous defensive mistakes between Oldham and Hartlepool.

We have a good squad, with some talented players, but somehow the coaching team weren't able to get the best from them.

I'm as embarassed as anyone that we've got rid of another manager, but I'd prefer we cut our losses now (giving a new man time to prepare for the transfer window) than (potentially) required a new manager 2 months hence, with the team deep in the relegation zone, dropping crowds and no chance of getting new players in.

Is that a better, and less idiotic response?

Papa

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Apologies for the sarcasm. Of course history does mean something, but as has been pointed out on here already, Slade's record was patchy even last season. He may well have pulled out out of the shit again, but that's not what Tony Bloom is looking for this season, and I think his patience gave out over the course of the last 2 matches, when it was clear we had learnt nothing from the previous defensive mistakes between Oldham and Hartlepool.

I am sorry but whatever some people might say I cannot accept that Slade's record was patchy last season. He joined with us deep in relegation trouble and kept us up. What did people expect, us to win every game? Whatever happened this season, anyone who says Slade did not do a fantastic job last year is rewriting history.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008

Couldn't agree more.:bowdown: No more needs to be said.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007

Well said, I couldn't agree with you more.

What's more sad is realising (as if I didn't know) that our fans are as bad as any others in terms of short sightedness and a "grass is always greener" attitude.

I'm not happy with performances, and I'm not suggesting we stick with a manager whatever happens (I supported the Adams sacking last season), but the decision Bloom has taken is extremely dissapointing and ill thought out.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
People seem to forget that we must be in the Championship before Falmer is completed, Slades signings and management would not result in promotion therefor changes had to be made,unfortunately unless there is real cash for signings in January little improvement can be expected.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here