Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tonights match program.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The Auditor said:
If we follow like sheep we could allow a new Archer type situation....abusing DK on the radio is equally unacceptable.
if the club control the content there is no point having the phone in

I wouldn't go as far as to compare DK to Archer but I agree the phone in needs to be independent, although one would hope broadly agreeable with the aims of the club.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Harty said:
...they sell 3,500 programmes whilst 25,000 listen to the phone-in and the same number read my weekly newspaper column.

The problem is, the vast majority of the 3,500 are pretty well informed, whereas the majority of the 25,000 are armchair fans with only a vague understanding of the issues facing the club. Despite being a season-ticket holder and an avid reader of NSC, I sometimes struggle to keep up with everything that's going on. I think the club is frustrated that the BBC (via Harty) is not doing as much as it could do to separate ill-informed conjecture from fact. Having said that, I really think the matchday programme is NOT the place to vent this frustration. The club surely should NOT be alienating the likes of Harty, who everyone knows has the good of the Albion at heart, and has helped as much as anyone (and far more than most) to keep the club alive over the past 10 painful years.

Albion Rob

I haven't had a chance to wade through every post but have looked at most of them, particularly the longer ones, and have a few thoughts.

First, we have to remember that the phone-in is not a national broadcast so instead of having 30 people who follow 30 different clubs all ringing in to whinge about the manager, you are going to get prople ringing in with less to say becuase someone has already made their point and when they are put on the spot many will just say the first thing that comes into their heads. Not the best thing to do but it does seem to happen.

Second, I think the phone-in would be a lot more credible if people were to giv their real names. These people have the airwaves to themselves and can, in theory, contact all of Sussex and Surrey with their views so why not make them give their real names. Would weed out the people on there just for a bit of shock value and also might make people think twice before spouting something ridiculous and unsubstantiated.

Third, Harty does it as a hobby. I could not blame the bloke if he just jacked the whole lot in now. I know I would. It's not as if he pgones his mates each week and says, "Guys, bit of a chance to pummel the club here, get involved", he can only go with what is on the other end of the line. There have been times when I have desperately wanted whoever is on the other end of the line to get cut off or for Harty to slam the phone down on them but then again many of the morons who choose to ring in expose themselves as idiots the longer they go on.

Fourth, I wouldn't say the phone-in is vital to the club but I would argue it is a useful tool. If there had been enough people questioning Archer and Bellotti then the Goldstone may never have been sold and certainyl not for the pittance it went for. I'm not even suggesting Gick Knight is anything like those bastards but at the same time it is always worth having some sort of scrutiny on the board. Whatever people think of Dick Knight, and I admiore the guy and think he is doing the best possible job in the circumstances, there have been some monumental cock-ups instigated by him and the board. The summer we went up to Division One and then appointed the youth team coach as manager after going the whole summer rudderless. The time it took until late October for the replica strip to turn up. These are the two examples that spring most readily to mind and these need to be debated, along with about a million other topics.

Finally, we have to take a step back and look at the situation. There are a maximum of 6,300 supporters at any home match. Of that number, how many are going to ring in? The phone-in, like the club in many ways, is pretty small time. That's not a dig at anybody but that is the way I see things. We play at a rubbsih ground. We have a miniscule playing budget. We are desperate for £2 million just to keep going. And our phone-in is run by a bloke who is doing it for a bit of fun and to stay involved. We're not Manchester United. As far as I am aware, the club has the right of reply to any topic mentioned in the phone-in. There is nothing to stop anyone in the club ringing in or even having a regular seat next to Harty to put people right.

Like I say, we are not ManUre. We don't employ 'marketing executives' on £50k per year to tell us everything is going to be alright.. Soemtimes things do get a bit unprofessional and sometimes people's emotions get the better of them. There does need to be scrutiny on the club and for that I give the phone-in the thumbs up

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
When Harty's on SCR he's not a fan, he's a representative of the BBC, and as such is presumably bound by it's rules of fairness, equal airtime to both sides of an issue, right-of-reply etc. Seems to me that while the Albion's in these choppy waters, the phone-in serves little useful purpose other than to give loudmouths, freaks and those with a hidden agenda the chance to sling mud at the club or bang on about complete irrelevances.

Personally I either go to the games or listen to the match commentary on SCR then switch it off before the phone-in and go and do something more interesting instead.

Last edited:

Taylors Dummy

Nov 3, 2004
South West Rye
e77 said:
Anyone who thinks the directors are making from the club are to be honest, deranged. The £7 million 'invested' by the Directors has been mainly (if not entirely) converted from loans to shares, which have a tradeable value some where below your average dot com.

If it wasn't for these people there wouldn't be a club now. Perhaps some of you may like to read that last sentence.

The black hole ? It has been stated it is £2 million. It is no secret.

However myself and many others have given £250,000 to the A&K fund which perhaps entitles us to a collective seat at the table (i don't just mean the A&K donators but fans as a whole) so perhaps it is time for the board to start consulting on non business critical stuff and not, for example, change the colour of the kit at a whim.

The implementation of Falmer is on the back of countless grants. Once built, the Stadia and all it brings will belong to DK and others who will have put no further money into its construction. Where is the pay back for A&K donators? Can they withdraw their money? Will they be able to make any profit? If DK etc are doing it for the love of the club then any profit they make they will plough back in to the squad. We'll wait and see eh?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Taylors Dummy said:
Where is the pay back for A&K donators? Can they withdraw their money? Will they be able to make any profit?

Donations are just that - donations. You don't have to donate, there is no compulsion.
People want to help the club survive until the go ahead for the stadium. That is their choice. The only pay back they expect is the club to keep going.

Taylors Dummy said:
The implementation of Falmer is on the back of countless grants. Once built, the Stadia and all it brings will belong to DK and others who will have put no further money into its construction.

A new company will be set up to lease the stadium back to the club. It will take more than just grants to be able to afford to build the stadium, therefore DK and co won't be getting a stadium for nothing.

BensGrandad said:
If what you are saying is correct and the club do not know of the names being banded about then they are even less astutute than I thought and as such do not deserve assistance.

I am astounded by this statement and for my part will promise never to mention the subject of investors again.

I will not question any decision made by the board nor enter into debate either on here or on SCR about the ability or lack of by the board. I will become a DK and MP puppet.

Are you now happy?
Huh ... as I suspected. BensGrandad - you are a bullshitter.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Taylors Dummy said:
The implementation of Falmer is on the back of countless grants. Once built, the Stadia and all it brings will belong to DK and others who will have put no further money into its construction. Where is the pay back for A&K donators? Can they withdraw their money? Will they be able to make any profit? If DK etc are doing it for the love of the club then any profit they make they will plough back in to the squad. We'll wait and see eh?

IF the stadium is built it will not belong to the Albion, but a separate company. DK and the directors have stuck in £7million, with no guarantee of ever seeing a penny of it back. The only way they will get paid is if someone offers them money for their shares, which is highly remote.

DK is not Jesus Christ, but some of the stick he takes on NSC is a bag of elephant wank. Give him stick for appointing Jeff Wood and Hinshelwood by all means, but this conspiracy theory nonsense is due to watching too many episodes of the X-Files.

Wozza said:
Even though the club won't own the stadium itself, the value of the Albion will shoot up once when we get it built.

I bloody well hope so! It will mean we are a successful club. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Be nice, for a change, wouldn't it?

Of course, the value of our shares in the Supporters Trust, created by the pooled money many of us have contributed to the A&K appeal, will rise accordingly. An excellent thing also.

But, as ever, you have to admire how the Knight critics have all their options covered.

If the value of the club remains low, it's because of potless Dick Tight and his inability to make the club a succcess.

If the club becomes a success and shares in the club rise, it's all because greedy Dick is in it for the money.

I have to particularly admire those who have the gall to put forward both those arguments in the same posting :lolol:

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Sense at last.:clap2:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Wozza said:
Even though the club won't own the stadium itself, the value of the Albion will shoot up once when we get it built.

Think you may be wrong there. There are plenty of clubs with better stadia and support than we have who are worth next to nothing.

Why do you think shares in the club would be worth anything, it has not made a profit in living memory, has an uncertain, and fickle, income stream. (we will do very well to average more than 10,000 at Falmer unless we are in the Champinship for a number of years, the fan base has been hugely eroded by the exodus to Gillingham and Withdean).

These are CURRENT values of English football clubs

Manchester City £8million
Sheffield United £4million
Birmingham City £12million
Preston £4million
Watford £1.4million
Charlton £13million
Millwall £ Nothing!

(source Bell Lawrie White Football Club Index at 17 December 2004)

People are living in cloud cuckoo land if they think that a tin-pot club on the South Coast with no assets is worth a bean. Why not invest instead in a club with a stadium, a history and a decent fan base?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
The club will still be worth more than it is now.

Also, I imagine that many (all?) of those clubs you list have low market values because of outstanding debts.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The club is currently worth nothing, so the 'investors' are sitting on a £7million loss.

For it to be worth something it will have to recoup all of those losses, and the only major repayment will come from £2.5million in relation to Falmer costs.

I still cannot see where the other £4.5million will come from before it starts being worth a positive figure.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Wozza said:
Several of the directors (ie Norman Cook) made donations - they're not expecting a return.

Norman Cook is not a director, merely a benefactor.

I am not quite sure of the point you are making. If the Albion get Falmer, get into the Premiership and survive then the directors may get some of their money back. If that happens I will be delighted, but it is the only way that money will be made and will not begrudge them a penny, and surely you would not either.

The chances of it happening are about 80/1 though. Putting money into the club is for diehards and mugs only.

The chances are far greater that Falmer will not be granted, we will be relegated this season and next, and will be out of business in 2007

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
El Presidente said:
IF the stadium is built it will not belong to the Albion, but a separate company. DK and the directors have stuck in £7million, with no guarantee of ever seeing a penny of it back. The only way they will get paid is if someone offers them money for their shares, which is highly remote.

DK is not Jesus Christ, but some of the stick he takes on NSC is a bag of elephant wank. Give him stick for appointing Jeff Wood and Hinshelwood by all means, but this conspiracy theory nonsense is due to watching too many episodes of the X-Files.

Who will own this separate company?

I'm a bit worried that in one breath people are saying that DK thinks its a stone wall cert that we get Falmer but then they are saying the board are throwing their money with little chance of getting it back.

I was also under the impression from DK that he expects investors to come in once Falmer gets the thumbs up. I would assume that at that point his investment will be worth more, otherwise the whole thing is just a white elephant.

Why is it highly remote that once we get the go ahead no one will be interested in buying shares. Supporters now want a share option (yes i know the time/cost is not right at the moment) so once Falmer is on its way will they all decide not to be interested in the club any more. Why?

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Albion Rob said:
I haven't had a chance to wade through every post but have looked at most of them, particularly the longer ones, and have a few thoughts.

First, we have to remember that the phone-in is not a national broadcast so instead of having 30 people who follow 30 different clubs all ringing in to whinge about the manager, you are going to get prople ringing in with less to say becuase someone has already made their point and when they are put on the spot many will just say the first thing that comes into their heads. Not the best thing to do but it does seem to happen.

Second, I think the phone-in would be a lot more credible if people were to giv their real names. These people have the airwaves to themselves and can, in theory, contact all of Sussex and Surrey with their views so why not make them give their real names. Would weed out the people on there just for a bit of shock value and also might make people think twice before spouting something ridiculous and unsubstantiated.

Third, Harty does it as a hobby. I could not blame the bloke if he just jacked the whole lot in now. I know I would. It's not as if he pgones his mates each week and says, "Guys, bit of a chance to pummel the club here, get involved", he can only go with what is on the other end of the line. There have been times when I have desperately wanted whoever is on the other end of the line to get cut off or for Harty to slam the phone down on them but then again many of the morons who choose to ring in expose themselves as idiots the longer they go on.

Fourth, I wouldn't say the phone-in is vital to the club but I would argue it is a useful tool. If there had been enough people questioning Archer and Bellotti then the Goldstone may never have been sold and certainyl not for the pittance it went for. I'm not even suggesting Gick Knight is anything like those bastards but at the same time it is always worth having some sort of scrutiny on the board. Whatever people think of Dick Knight, and I admiore the guy and think he is doing the best possible job in the circumstances, there have been some monumental cock-ups instigated by him and the board. The summer we went up to Division One and then appointed the youth team coach as manager after going the whole summer rudderless. The time it took until late October for the replica strip to turn up. These are the two examples that spring most readily to mind and these need to be debated, along with about a million other topics.

Finally, we have to take a step back and look at the situation. There are a maximum of 6,300 supporters at any home match. Of that number, how many are going to ring in? The phone-in, like the club in many ways, is pretty small time. That's not a dig at anybody but that is the way I see things. We play at a rubbsih ground. We have a miniscule playing budget. We are desperate for £2 million just to keep going. And our phone-in is run by a bloke who is doing it for a bit of fun and to stay involved. We're not Manchester United. As far as I am aware, the club has the right of reply to any topic mentioned in the phone-in. There is nothing to stop anyone in the club ringing in or even having a regular seat next to Harty to put people right.

Like I say, we are not ManUre. We don't employ 'marketing executives' on £50k per year to tell us everything is going to be alright.. Soemtimes things do get a bit unprofessional and sometimes people's emotions get the better of them. There does need to be scrutiny on the club and for that I give the phone-in the thumbs up
#

the only sensible non arse licking post on this thread :clap: :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here