Tommy Elphick talking about his ordeal front page of Argus

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Argus now is based in Southampton

It's subbed in Southampton but the reporters and the newsroom are based in Brighton, in Hollingbury on Crowhurst Road

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
So they get him up at 07.20, arrest him and question him for what sounds like a day and then, when they realise its clearly rubbish, tell him not to talk abouit it. You couldn't make it up!

Yeah and the others at 4.30 after the ordeal and journey of the night before, what's all that about? Not as if they were about to do a runner. No disrespect to any OB on here but seems like someone defo wanted to make things as unpleasant as possible.

Stumpy Tim

I really don't get this "Boycott The Argus" nonsense. I imagine the Albion wanted that list of names in the public arena as otherwise all Brighton players were under suspicion. The names were also on the BBC News website, so I assume that's being boycotted too?

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
It's in his interests to publicise his innocence as widely as possible isn't it? He's done nothing wrong and the more people understand that the better.

For what it's worth I don't think the Argus has done much wrong through this, though I appreciate I'm in a minority.

This.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
I really don't get this "Boycott The Argus" nonsense. I imagine the Albion wanted that list of names in the public arena as otherwise all Brighton players were under suspicion. The names were also on the BBC News website, so I assume that's being boycotted too?

And where do you think the BBC got there source, and if the club did want there names out there do you really think the Argus went about it the correct manner.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
It's all good slagging off the Argus but i think the roll the OB has played in this whole episode is very distasteful. We all have opinions about what happened but the way the police dealt with matter was wrong. I think when the fact's are revealed it wont just be the argus with egg on their face

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

For me (and for the majority of what I've read here) it's not the reporting it's the manner of the reporting .... two quite different arguments

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Yeah and the others at 4.30 after the ordeal and journey of the night before, what's all that about? Not as if they were about to do a runner. No disrespect to any OB on here but seems like someone defo wanted to make things as unpleasant as possible.

I think the ob do it this way some times to prevent possible collusion.

I stand to be corrected by Edna of course.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Interesting investigation no? Happened at Jury's Inn in July and was reported immediately but the Hotel didn't know anything about it until now and it took the police 6 months of "thorough investigation" to find the names of people who are, by nature of their job, extremely easy to identify? Sounds like someone forgot to do anything until a complaint was made? Uninspiring to say the least.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
I thought the OB were supposed to at least do some investigation work before arresting someone, FFS, Tommy wasn't even at the hotel when the incident took place, surely it wouldn't have been too difficult to find this out before arresting him? And when people complain about the police getting more power, the OB and politicians always trot out the usual c**p about if you haven't done anything wrong you have noting to worry about. Seeing what poor Tommy has been through I don't know how anyone can trust the OB to get anything right.

Does no one at Sussex Police know that Tommy seriously damaged his leg last May at Notts County and was stretched off the pitch ? - his lengthy lay off and subsequent injury woes are well documented - so the chances that he was involved in anything such as this just two months later seem remote/impossible .

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think the ob do it this way some times to prevent possible collusion.

I stand to be corrected by Edna of course.

Coordinate the arrests for sure (not that they were) just go down the Amex/Traing Ground at 11.00 and get 'em all together but they could have done it at a more civilised time ... looks like they wanted to cause maximum distress

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
The Argus seems to miss the irony of this quote:

"Officers had warned Elphick...that his name was about to hit the press. He said 'I prepared myself for it but nothing can really prepare you for that, especially when you're born and bred. This is my home. I have been playing fr his club for a long time and never stepped put of line. I pride myself in the way I live. I have been brought up the right way. I understand the life a footballer should lead, especially when you're a local lad.'"

Top bloke
I hope it doesn't ruin him , you will need to rally behind him . Such a shame , he comes across as a good lad in this .

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I thought the OB were supposed to at least do some investigation work before arresting someone, FFS, Tommy wasn't even at the hotel when the incident took place, surely it wouldn't have been too difficult to find this out before arresting him? And when people complain about the police getting more power, the OB and politicians always trot out the usual c**p about if you haven't done anything wrong you have noting to worry about. Seeing what poor Tommy has been through I don't know how anyone can trust the OB to get anything right.

I'm sure Edna will say but surely they have to talk to him to find out where he was, they'd get slaughtered if they went by hearsay, so they need to get it officially straight from him, so it seems he was arrested to do this and they ruled him out. What do you expect them to do when an allegation has been made ?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Exactly it had to all come out before our next match so we can focus on the job in hand, football. There was no nice way to do this and to go high impact gets it dealt with swiftly. The day before the names were released we were all guilty of wanting to know who was involved! Then the next day everyone is moaning that the names were printed.

If it turns out they are all innocent, which I hope is the case, it sets out an example for squad members, current and future to steer away from potential trouble.

The club would have had good advice on this and the only option would have been to hit the problem straight on so it didn't cast suspicion on the rest of the squad. This is what is advised with high profile scandals.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
I dont understand this quote from the article :- A spokeswoman for the
Jurys Inn said yesterday: “An
incident did happen at the hotel
which we have just become
aware of. "

if the incident was reported in July, why didnt the Police go to the hotel as soon as it was reported?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here