Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Hark - Skint behind us - all systems go!!

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Spoke to Andy Mac at Skint again this morning following discussions last week. All systems go! Here's the plan.

Obviously the aim of the single is twofold:
- to get maximum publicity for the Falmer campaign
- to raise funds for the Live & Kicking Appeal.

National distribution of the single is pointless. It means big distribution costs, heavy discounting to retailers and as with all singles even a Top 10 would mean no profit for the club whatsoever. Everyone outside (and inside) Sussex will be able to order it online through HMV or Amazon, and these will count towards the chart.

So we are going to pick 10 major outlets in Sussex, with Chichester, Eastbourne and Crawley at the outer perameters, and the single will only available there with no retail discounting necessary and no heavy promotional budget (we can do that!) Obviously once the outlets are selected everyone will make sure everyone else knows where they are! It's sales that matter, not their geographical distribution, so that's no problem.

All Seagulls fans outside Sussex can either get local friends to get theirs or order it online, as can everyone else who wants to help (we have lots of friends at other clubs, many of my 2500 strong mailing list will definitely be up for it and some of the people who got John Otway to Number 9 with 'Bunsen Burner' will be going for it too!!)

Andy says that doing it this way each single sold at £3.99 will definitely raise between 50p and £1 for the Albion (I'll let you know exactly how much as soon as I know) after we have paid the retailers' cut, publishing & MCPS (copyright royalties) etc. A good thought also is that, hopefully, the descendants of the 50s Kwela musicians in South Africa who wrote the original tune (prior to the Piranhas it was a 60s Trojan Ska hit for the Dynamites, being a big ska fan I have both versions!) will make some dosh out of it as well.

Presales will start on December 1st, and people will be able to order it from the designated shops or online from that date - the earlier the better! The more the presales, the bigger the impact. Release date will be Monday January 3rd. The ideal Xmas gift to be picked up a week or so later!

We're also going to do a ska version of 'Sussex By the Sea' and maybe a punk rock one as well! We've got some great ska musicians, all Albion fans, and I am going to make one more attempt to persuade Bob Grover to come along. Should be going into the studio later this week. I think we'll do the 'We Want Falmer' backing vocals in the studio, it will be much the easiest way, I was guilty of over optimism on Saturday! With a bit of luck we'll be doing the first performance of it next Sunday at Joe Strummer Remembrance Sunday.

While we're there I'm also going to do a spooky horror version of the Falmer Pond poem (complete with sound effects) which I'll stick on my site as a free download for anyone who's interested.....

More news soon

WE WANT FALMER!

Attila

(Mods - can you stick this please?)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
attila said:

A good thought also is that, hopefully, the descendants of the 50s Kwela musicians in South Africa who wrote the original tune (prior to the Piranhas it was a 60s Trojan Ska hit for the Dynamites, being a big ska fan I have both versions!) will make some dosh out of it as well.

That's good to hear, John. I remember reading about the guy who wrote Wimoweh (aka the Lion Sleeps Tonight) who died penniless after getting nothing for the song.

Looking forward to the release.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Great Stuff Attlia, cant wait for sunday to hear it first hand. You simply *MUST* do a fast Punk version of Sussex By The Sea, that would simply be AMAZING! If you need some dodgy backing vocals then just shout :thumbsup: <dreams of singing to a packed Concorde2 audience "...and we're going up to win the cup..."....aahh mate that would ROCK! punk:

I shall spread the word to everyone I know so they can prepare for the pre-release.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Good man Atilla.

*sneaky ad for adding vocals for "we want falmer part" if I could only remember the lyrics*

Last edited:

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Was that REALLY an attempt to get recorded crowd vocals on Saturday? Seemed a bit stupid trying to get it recorded when the stands were only half filled and most people were trying to still get to their seats...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
great stuff - respect to you

D'Angelo Saxon said:
Was that REALLY an attempt to get recorded crowd vocals on Saturday? Seemed a bit stupid trying to get it recorded when the stands were only half filled and most people were trying to still get to their seats...
... to say nothing of the person with the recording equipment, who was still in the refreshment queue.

At least I got a hot cheese pasty off her.

:lolol:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Okay I supposes making money for the club is the main aim. But it would ave been amazing to try and get it into the chart!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
How many sales are needed for top 10 these days? Will be great to see it on TOTPs (will be the first time ive ever watched it, admittedly).:clap2:

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Biscuit - this way we most certainly can get it into the chart. Copies ordered online elsewhere in the Uk are valid chart sales just as much as copies bought in the shops in Sussex. If we sell 5000 in the first week of Jan we will definitely be top 30, probably higher! Exactly where depends on what else happens.

But I know from the Otway campaign that we'll get a midweek chart placing, then we'll have an idea where we are. He had his in the Autumn when lots of big acts are going for it. Chart wise first week in Jan is as dead as Mr Cleese's parrot usually.

Grunty

Jan 16, 2004
Worthing
just record

'WE WANT FALMER' onto MINIDISC at WEST HAM on Saturday,
singing is always better at away games...........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here