Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Toddler abducted

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
surrey jim said:
the fact comes down to who these people are,, as a holiday maker you would not know these people from adam, and you are trusting your children with them.

in many cases people have good refrences etc but it has been shown recently how many padeophiles have slipped through the net

I was expecting something like this and, again, you illustrate the issues facing parents...

When we're not holidaymakers, and we're living our mundane lives in the good ole UK, many parents make use of a creche, a nursery or a childminder. Again, generally, parents won't know the carers 'from Adam' etc.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Simster said:
I'd say that the worst kind of middle class parents are the ones who let their kids get away with anything because they can't be arsed to constantly pull them up for their behaviour. And there are plenty of that sort about.

IMO, middle class parents are rarely over-protective.

yes, I see what you mean but I think letting your kids misbehave and being overprotective are seperate issues.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Simster said:
No they didn't. They were on a Mark Warner holiday. Mark Warner offer baby patrols where staff members go round the hallways which connect rooms and listen out for any unusual noise. I've been on a Mark Warner and *everybody* on the resort uses this service because the resort is in its own compound. Unfortunately for this couple, their room appears to have been too close to the road outside the resort and it appears that an intruder has got wind of the way children are left, and opportunistically ducked into the compound and nabbed the girl. :(

Those parents did nothing wrong IMO, especially given the fact they were eating no more than 30 feet from their room. :nono:

Were they definatly using this service though ?

There has been nothing mentioned about this in the news reports.

Also 30 feet too far IMO!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Uncle Spielberg said:
ok, I respect your view but I don't think I would have been comfortable with that situation that is all. Anyway I think it is best people stop posting until the outcome is known imho
Of course as a responsible parent you are always anxious, and between the two of us, we'd have gone back at least twice ourselves (or more) to check up on them ourselves I think. I'd just rather people didn't judge them unfairly and simply accept that you can't *always* be with your kids.

And whilst we're at it, it's nothing to do with "these days" either. Kids are no less safe from predatory adults than they've ever been. FACT.

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Simster said:
Of course as a responsible parent you are always anxious, and between the two of us, we'd have gone back at twice ourselves (or more) to check up on them ourselves I think. I'd just rather people didn't judge them unfairly and simply accept that you can't *always* be with your kids.

And whilst we're at it, it's nothing to do with "these days" either. Kids are no less safe from predatory adults than they've ever been. FACT.

Yes. You are probably right about "these days" thing

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Wookiee said:

There has been nothing mentioned about this in the news reports.
Apparently they were (according to my wife) - it's free. You sign up for your meal, you add your child to a registry inside reception (so that the staff know the rooms to listen out for) and you go for your meal.

The Wookiee said:
Also 30 feet too far IMO!
Very easily said in hindsight. There's little point in debating the rights and wrongs of this - all I am saying is that I am sympathetic to the parents on this one.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Nibble said:
yes, I see what you mean but I think letting your kids misbehave and being overprotective are seperate issues.
Yes nibble, yes they are. But you said this:

A lot of middle class parents are over-protective if anything.

And I happen to think that is bollocks - in my experience, there are other more common traits that define piss-poor parenting in the middle-classes.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
The Wookiee said:

I've been following the story on SKY news and it has been stated on there that they were not using the child minding service on that particular evening.

I cant even begin to imagine any of it really, 5 days of hell.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Are the Tour operator liable for this as part of their service ?

Assume not given Race response

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Race said:
I've been following the story on SKY news and it has been stated on there that they were not using the child minding service on that particular evening.

I cant even begin to imagine any of it really, 5 days of hell.
If that is true then I'll have to slap Mrs Simster tonight. There's no excuse for not using their service.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Race said:

Simster seems to be talking about a different service.

The Mark Warner service they most definitely were NOT using was the one where you dined at one of two on-site restaurants, but left your children in a creche facility until you were finished. You'd then pick them up en route back to your room. From the sound of it they weren't using one of the 2 restaurants so this service wouldn't have been available to them.

Simster seems to be talking about a hall listening service for when children are left in their room. I've not heard this discussed in connection with the current case.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Simster said:
If that is true then I'll have to slap Mrs Simster tonight. There's no excuse for not using their service.

I'm sure all different news stations and papers etc have had their own versions of events so who knows eh?!

Still nothing new being reported over there at moment, everyone seems to be in the dark, even the parents by the sounds of it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Can you possibly imagine what will be going through the minds of that family when they finally have to leave the place to come home, possibly without their daughter.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Simster said:
Yes nibble, yes they are. But you said this:

A lot of middle class parents are over-protective if anything.

And I happen to think that is bollocks - in my experience, there are other more common traits that define piss-poor parenting in the middle-classes.

A lot of middle class parents do not discipline their children effectively but when we talk about poor parenting in this sense we mean raising your children in a way that is likely to cause them harm. Such as not knowing or caring where your kids are, hitting them, letting them mix with bad elements, poor diet and many other things all of which are more prevalent in ill educated, less priviledged households.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Dave the Gaffer said:
Can you possibly imagine what will be going through the minds of that family when they finally have to leave the place to come home, possibly without their daughter.

I can't begin to imagine. Surely there is no worse feeling for a parent.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
Dave the Gaffer said:

Exactly, we were talking about this at work.
How can you possibly let go - completely heart breaking.

Anyway, it hasn't come to that yet.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Dave the Gaffer said:

I was flicking around radio stations as I drove to work this morning and just as I arrived GWR-FM (think Southern FM for the Bristol area) were turning their attention to the case and it's the first media I have heard where people were open criticising the parents since this story it broke. The presenters were both giving it "they shouldn't have left the kids alone" line.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Dave the Gaffer said:

That's what I was thinking 5 mins ago when I was watching the news. What a decision to have to make. Even if people think they were wrong in their actions to leave their kids alone, you just wouldnt wish all this upon anyone or what their future might hold having to go home without a child.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here