Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Todays moron [Argus Letters]

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Why must these people be so dishonest? Mr Ed Bishop is simply saying, "I don't want extra traffic in Woodingdean on match days."
The Argus is encouraging letters like this because many of us will get angry and then reply.
Don't think many of the anti-football mob will agree with his idea of football funded by the council tax. That should only be allowed for theatres and arts festivals!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Where DO they find these people? What fuxking planet are they from?:nono:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Dear Argus.

I would like to tell you about my walk last Sunday.

I decided to drag my arse over the barren wasteland and moto cross track that is Toads hole valley, and whilst dodging the dogshite and burnt out fiestas I noticed a small man with a clipboard and an anorak making notes on how close he was to the A27 and that the train station was a mere 2 miles distant, he seemed to be having some sort of reverie and was mumbling "Eureka" whilst furiously jotting on his pad.

Eventually he moved off rapidly, wiping drool from his chin and with a purposeful look on his face in the direction of a post box.

I do hope he is OK.

Regards

BH

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Bevendean Hillbilly said:
Dear Argus.

I would like to tell you about my walk last Sunday.

I decided to drag my arse over the barren wasteland and moto cross track that is Toads hole valley, and whilst dodging the dogshite and burnt out fiestas I noticed a small man with a clipboard and an anorak making notes on how close he was to the A27 and that the train station was a mere 2 miles distant, he seemed to be having some sort of reverie and was mumbling "Eureka" whilst furiously jotting on his pad.

Eventually he moved off rapidly, wiping drool from his chin and with a purposeful look on his face in the direction of a post box.

I do hope he is OK.

Regards

BH

:lolol: :lolol: :clap2: :bowdown: Inspired!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Man of Harveys said:
Where DO they find these people? What fuxking planet are they from?:nono:

I'll tell you where he is most definately NOT from - anywhere West of Toads Hole. He is suggesting anybody coming from that direction, can 'simply use the Devil's Dyke flyover and double back'.

What a prick. Trying to turn right at the top of that slip road is almost impossible at the best of times. His idea would cause queues right down onto the carriageway. Which funnily enough is EXACTLY WHY THE HIGHWAYS AGENCY VETOED THE SITE. Idiot.

Last edited:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
perhaps the argus website should be fitted with a filter that says

' before you submit your letter please check the following:

1) have you used green crayon style text

2) have you left your brain at the door

3) have you completely ignored the findings of the planning inspectors who have ruled out the following sites:

- Sheepcote valley
- Toads Hole
- Shoreham harbour
- Withdean
- Shoreham Airport/New Monks farm
- Brighton Station
- Waterhall
- Alliance and Leicester
- Goldstone Retail Park

If you can answer yes to the above, then press continue.'

Of course, there is only one thing to do and that is to respond politely and courteously. The fact is, these people who write are only saying what some people actually believe. Not the majority mind, but there will always be those who will not read, forget or ignore what has been said. It's the same with the phone in.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Again the Argus publish this shit under their "Free Speech" banner....The Argus have been a monumental stumbling block to Falmer for ages... Stupid fuckers don't realize that when we get Falmer - half their sports reporters will have far nicer seats to sit on, and facilities to report from than they do now....

In fact - I'd ban the Argus from ever reporting on the Albion again...

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Dear Argus

I have just moved to Brighton. It is such a cool place. It has yoga groups and coffee bars as good as London's. I think that Brighton Albion should play at the Millennium Dome. All the Albion fans could be housed in the area around the new stadium. This would free up more housing so that all our friends can move here. And Sussex Uni students wouldn't have football chavs disturbing their libertarian thoughts.

yours liberally and democratically

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
tedebear said:
Again the Argus publish this shit under their "Free Speech" banner....The Argus have been a monumental stumbling block to Falmer for ages... Stupid fuckers don't realize that when we get Falmer - half their sports reporters will have far nicer seats to sit on, and facilities to report from than they do now....

I think that is a bit harsh. They have publically backed the stadium - this may be altruistic or it may be that they are safeguarding their readership, but in editorial and opinion they do back the plans.

As regards stories - journalists will write stories and they will contain errors. that is not just the albion but many many subjects. I know for a fact that Baker believes that the argus give him a hard time - however we think differently. But when meridan got taken in, it was the argus that highlighted the huge gaps in baker's dossier and the removal of key bits of info. They reported this as news.

With regard to letters - I actually think that at times they do give too much space to these people, but there are some (maybe a small percentage) who do actually already think and believe this. What this means is that we have a chance to correct these people's understandings by responding. As long as proportionately, our responses reflect the weight of opinion then that would be deemed as fair comment.

If you want to see a media that is anti us then look at BBC South East. Every shot of falmer is that church and pond (post prescott's decision last year they actually climbed up the church tower to show how you could see the site from there!).

A few weeks ago they had Anne De vecchi sitting in her stepford wives front room in her twin set and pearls saying how they 'only ever wanted to protect the downs' then cut to Martin perry who is answering a question about how much not having a stadium is costing them (you dont hear the question) but what you see is a man saying 'we have lost millions by not having a stadium, we need this to safeguard our future and to generate income'. A complete non sequiter but one that clearly plays to middle england.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
tedebear said:

run that one past me again

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
mona said:
Dear Argus

I have just moved to Brighton. It is such a cool place. It has yoga groups and coffee bars as good as London's. I think that Brighton Albion should play at the Millennium Dome. All the Albion fans could be housed in the area around the new stadium. This would free up more housing so that all our friends can move here. And Sussex Uni students wouldn't have football chavs disturbing their libertarian thoughts.

yours liberally and democratically
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Only problem being.. would we be any drier in the Millenium Dome? Doesn't it's roof resemble a sieve?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Dave the Gaffer said:
run that one past me again

Well I'm sick and tired of the Argus giving "air time" to these fools.

Wouldn't it be a better idea to publish the facts every now and then - to let people know where we are at and what has already been decided by the various legal wranglings? To prevent these buffoons being printed?

and also aren't the Argus reporters going to get a much comfier seat to report from when we get to Falmer? in comparison to having to sit at Withdean? So its in their best interest to be pro Falmer ALL the time - not just when it suits...

as for banning them - thats just my overreactive little brain - you know that Dave ;) :lol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Here is my response to Mr Bishop. I hope it will be published;

Dear Sirs

I am growing increasingly frustrated at the mis-information pedalled by the anti-Falmer lobby in their letters, published here.

Without wishing to cast aspersions on the integrity of the writers, they are, at best, being disingenuous.

Mr Ed Bishop wrote to you to extoll the virtues of Toads Hole as an alternative site, praising the transport links, and highlighting the fact that the plot had 'been offered to the Albion on very generous terms'.

I don't really think Mr Bishop needs the truth pointing out, but for the benefit of those who may not know, and would be mis-led by his version, I will lay them out again.

The site is privately owned. A portion of it was offered to the Albion at a very low rate, on condition that the council agreed for a large commercial devepolment to be granted on the remainder of the site. This was never going to be allowed so was a complete non-starter.

As for the transport links, Mr Bishop informs us that the plot is accessible from both sides. In fact,the Highways Agency vetoed any proposed development as they refused to consider a slip road from the A27 on safety grounds. Unbelievably, he suggests that those travelling from the West could "simply use the Devil's Dyke flyover and double back". This junction is already a problem and hundreds more cars turning right at the roundabout at the top of that slip road would cause queues right back onto the dual-carriageway, posing a major safety risk.

Whilst we should all accept that there are two sides to every arguement, I would have more respect for Mr Bishop's views if he wrote a much simpler, more honest version; "Dear Sirs, might I suggest that the stadium is built further away from my house in Woodingdean, best regards, Ed Bishop".

Yours sincerely

Simon Huffer

PS. I appreciate that space on your letters page is short, but would be most grateful if you were able to print this letter in its entirety.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
hans kraay fan club said:
Here is my response to Mr Bishop. I hope it will be published;

Dear Sirs

I am growing increasingly frustrated at the mis-information pedalled by the anti-Falmer lobby in their letters, published here.

Without wishing to cast aspersions on the integrity of the writers, they are, at best, being disingenuous.

Mr Ed Bishop wrote to you to extoll the virtues of Toads Hole as an alternative site, praising the transport links, and highlighting the fact that the plot had 'been offered to the Albion on very generous terms'.

I don't really think Mr Bishop needs the truth pointing out, but for the benefit of those who may not know, and would be mis-led by his version, I will lay them out again.

The site is privately owned. A portion of it was offered to the Albion at a very low rate, on condition that the council agreed for a large commercial devepolment to be granted on the remainder of the site. This was never going to be allowed so was a complete non-starter.

As for the transport links, Mr Bishop informs us that the plot is accessible from both sides. In fact,the Highways Agency vetoed any proposed development as they refused to consider a slip road from the A27 on safety grounds. Unbelievably, he suggests that those travelling from the West could "simply use the Devil's Dyke flyover and double back". This junction is already a problem and hundreds more cars turning right at the roundabout at the top of that slip road would cause queues right back onto the dual-carriageway, posing a major safety risk.

Whilst we should all accept that there are two sides to every arguement, I would have more respect for Mr Bishop's views if he wrote a much simpler, more honest version; "Dear Sirs, might I suggest that the stadium is built further away from my house in Woodingdean, best regards, Ed Bishop".

Yours sincerely

Simon Huffer

PS. I appreciate that space on your letters page is short, but would be most grateful if you were able to print this letter in its entirety.

Brilliant :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Do hope that gets published, certainly it should under their "freedom of speech" angle.

D

Deleted User X18H

Toads Hole Valley is earmarked for the next Brighton and Hove Cemetary if not that then it is earmarked for something the council are not that interested in disclosing.

I am sorry but THV is the perfect site for a Stadium it is not farther from a mainline station than Pride Park or Stadium of Light
the walk from Portslade or Aldrington is about 30 mins.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Its nimbyism of the higest order. Has anyone noticed that the Anti-Falmer letters nearly allways come from Woodingdean or the East Brighton area. Not In My Back Yard!:tosser:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here