Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

To all you tossers who don't go to Withdean....

D

Deleted User X18H

chicken run said:
U must get a taxi from preston circus then soppy bollox, if not update your location b4 u quote distances:dunce:
I work in the city of london which is 54 miles from Brighton I travel 54 miles twice a day so that is .......yes 108 miles per day .......are you keeping up ....so thats actually aprrox 540 miles per week but I still get to Withdean every home game including weekedays.

Oh and I still live in central Brighton although we are moving back to Hove very soon.

D

Deleted User X18H

Having reviwed this entire post I feel that I have misrepresented the essence of the ongoing inquiry it is obvious the OPDM acknowledge a Stadium is necessary but the ongoing question is where. So capacites and attandences are irrelevent

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
In essence, although calling fans tossers is not the righjt way to go about doing it, HB&B is in some way correct.

I also work in London and when i talk to my work colleagues about Falmer, to a man they reply "well you cant even fill your shitty ground, why do you need a 22k ground..."

It always really surprises me that we cannot fill Withdean to capacity every home game. I know about the away allocation not being filled, but even on Saturday, the gate was 6600 odd, for a must win game where we are fighting for our lives.

I assume that the West Ham game will be 7000 less a couple of reserved seats. If it isn't then I think we will be very disingenuous to DK and the board who are fighting like hell to get us a ground, but some people ( and it is their right/location etc etc) chose not to go and support the team when they need it most.

For once I agree with FG...it will be interesting to see what will happen if we go ahead with the xtra 2000 seats how many times the gate will jump to 9000 less reserved! It will also be interesting to see if Falmer is turned down if those extra seats will get the go ahead anyway. My feeling is that they wont.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
dave the gaffer said:
In essence, although calling fans tossers is not the righjt way to go about doing it, HB&B is in some way correct.

I also work in London and when i talk to my work colleagues about Falmer, to a man they reply "well you cant even fill your shitty ground, why do you need a 22k ground..."

It always really surprises me that we cannot fill Withdean to capacity every home game. I know about the away allocation not being filled, but even on Saturday, the gate was 6600 odd, for a must win game where we are fighting for our lives.

I assume that the West Ham game will be 7000 less a couple of reserved seats. If it isn't then I think we will be very disingenuous to DK and the board who are fighting like hell to get us a ground, but some people ( and it is their right/location etc etc) chose not to go and support the team when they need it most.

For once I agree with FG...it will be interesting to see what will happen if we go ahead with the xtra 2000 seats how many times the gate will jump to 9000 less reserved! It will also be interesting to see if Falmer is turned down if those extra seats will get the go ahead anyway. My feeling is that they wont.

Dave I find these attendance figures puzzling too. Saturday's game against Leicester was a "sell out" according to the club. I know 5 people who wanted to go but ticket office said All sold. same for West Ham, ticket office saying All sold.
But the arguement re attendance at Falmer is different. Folk want to just turn up on the day and pay. Many ex supporters now don't bother with Withdean because you have got to get a ticket in advance. They can't be bothered so have lost the habit of going to footie on Saturday. These are the ones that the club has to win back to go to Falmer

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
dave the gaffer said:

Two things

1. Saturday was a sell out, there were no more tickets available from the club. There were however, 3 spare seats around where I was sat. I assume this is non attendance from Season ticket holders which forced the gate down.

2. If we get the extra 2 thousand seats where will they be sited? If the view is anything like V block then I doubt very much they will get sold out. I know I wouldn't bother - you get a better view from the Sportsman through the netting. If on the other hand it is a better view it may encourage more spectators. As an example my old man wouldn't come on Saturday as he couldn't get a seat next to someone he knew. If there were more seats this is unlikely to be so much of a problem.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Gaffer

It wont be " pay on the day" Tickets will not be sold at the ground!!!

Hannibal

The seats will be sited at the west of the ground by the hammer net. that is why the residents are a tad peeved in that it spoils their view!!!! Also the changing rooms and new turnstiles will be built next to the leisure centre!

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
My take on attendance figs is this...

Our average attendance, over the season, will be around 96% of capacity.

Look at nearly all the other clubs in this division, andI'd wager their average attendances are closer to 70% (possibly even 60%).

Put simply, even with our 'lull' in attendance we are being stretched almost to our limit. There is NO growth potential to be had, and no growth means no future.

Disclaimer - all the figures above have been made up, but hopefully illustrate a point.

By the way - Hove Born&Bred (self proclaimed SUPERFAN) - change the record already.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I agree 100%

to get people to go to football matches again, it needs to be easy.

If some floating fan, bringing his 3 kids and wife wanted to see albion against say Coventry at Falmer, he would want to turn up and pay on the door. If you say to him, well, you have to go by train, get your match tickets from the station, or the club shop, then I would wager he would say "sod that for a game of soldiers".

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
dave the gaffer said:
Gaffer

The seats will be sited at the west of the ground by the hammer net. that is why the residents are a tad peeved in that it spoils their view!!!!

Steady Gaffer

Don't talk through your hoop.

1. Don't assume that all Withdean residents are against the Albion

2. Look for the flag on the roof. This house is owned by a season ticket holder who could see the entire pitch from her garden yet still chooses to walk all the way around the ground to her seat in the rain in the South Stand. That's commitment pal.

If some off her offspring who can only get back to Brighton every so often due to exile / work commitments choose to watch from the house, the good for us. (We're the West Stand, We're the West etc etc etc)

Just on your 'spoiling the view' point - the proposeed new stand will be low enough so as to not block anything, and they will have to remove the hammer cage which frankly is quite annoying!!!

By the way - we get a much better cup of tea at half time too!

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
hans kraay fan club said:
dave the gaffer said:
Gaffer

The seats will be sited at the west of the ground by the hammer net. that is why the residents are a tad peeved in that it spoils their view!!!!

Steady Gaffer

Don't talk through your hoop.

1. Don't assume that all Withdean residents are against the Albion

2. Look for the flag on the roof. This house is owned by a season ticket holder who could see the entire pitch from her garden yet still chooses to walk all the way around the ground to her seat in the rain in the South Stand. That's commitment pal.

If some off her offspring who can only get back to Brighton every so often due to exile / work commitments choose to watch from the house, the good for us. (We're the West Stand, We're the West etc etc etc)

Just on your 'spoiling the view' point - the proposeed new stand will be low enough so as to not block anything, and they will have to remove the hammer cage which frankly is quite annoying!!!

By the way - we get a much better cup of tea at half time too!

Forgive me. I will try not to "talk out of my hoop", whatever that means.

I assumed the letters in the Argus and received by the council written by withdean residents against the application to put up the extra seats represented the views of the majority of the withdean residents.

I bow to your superior knowledge on this one.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
incidentally

peoples reluctance to go to withdean isnt helped by....

the lack of roofs, atmosphere, facilities, over-pricing of tickets.

not to mention the support seems to be entirely diferent at away games- diehard albion fans vs middle class weekenders who dont seem to give a f*** about the albion but football is still trendy enough to warrant a season ticket.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I can only go to midweek games as I have my kids on Saturdays.

Guess that makes me a tosser as well.

One final point I remember someone at the ticket office saying when we first move to Withdean that they have to keep about 100-200 seats free for Health & Safety reasons. These have to be randomly distributed throughout the ground as far as I am aware.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
I can only go to midweek games as I have my kids on Saturdays.

Guess that makes me a tosser as well.

One final point I remember someone at the ticket office saying when we first move to Withdean that they have to keep about 100-200 seats free for Health & Safety reasons. These have to be randomly distributed throughout the ground as far as I am aware.

and its very difficult to sell remaining tickets when we have an all-ticket policiy. there is always going to be a few seats not bought.

but more importantly- so what if we cant fill withdean? the point is- 60 odd thousand people have signed in agreement with the new ground and when it really matters (big away games, playoffs) we constanly proove we could easily sellout withdean 3 times over.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What about the fact that we used to have a stadium with 28,800 capacity that sold out frequently for big matches? Any analysis of data from pre-Withdean days would indicate that a 22,000 all-seater stadium is probably the minimum capacity we'd be looking for in order to be a viable club in the future...

Surely this is more representative of the demand for football from Albion fans?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
You seem to forget the obvious. absenteeism.
The absentee rate from work is about 2% on average.

With 5,000 Season tickets that would equal 100. Which would rise over a season with natural wastage. Deaths, people moving to australia or LI being thrown in prison for being a dork for example.

A Lot of regular support is built up with people getting in the habit of going and success on the pitch.

Get falmer and a relegation battle? 8,000? Topping the table? 20,000.

The Albion has always had a potentially large support and a highly fickle one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here