Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

To all intents and purposes is the season now over on 20th October ?.

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
Would people not agree that we threw away 2 points in the games against Blackpool, Leeds & Millwall and got lucky against Doncaster? So i think we are about 4 points below where our performances merit.

Having those 4 points would have put us second and all this present panic would have been replaced by talk of winning the league - chill out !!!!!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
AND WE'LL WIN THE CUP! AND WE'LL WIN THE CUP!

You did that deliberately didn't you? You know how much it irritates me! :lol:

I have no idea what you are talking about :whistle:

brightonbozzo79

Oct 19, 2011
I think all teams go through tough patches in a season even the top clubs. No need to panic we just need a bit of tactical re-structuring and a win to get back on track. I think the team is good enough to make play-offs for sure.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yeah, what do a couple of TV detectives have to do with this TLO?

:dunce:

Gareth's happy-clappy, uplifting call-to-arms 'The season is over' put me in mind of The Seekers' 'The Carnival Is Over', the melancholic tune also reflecting Gareth's mood. Pierrot and Columbine are two clowns from Commedia dell'Arte are forever unhappy, the latter constantly breaking the heart of the former. They are also mentioned in this song, that's all.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Setting expectations through the media and directly to the players are two different things. Of course mid table is good enough at season end but Gus has talked a lot about just focussing on the next game. I don't think for one minute that he has communicated anything to the players about where they will or should end up ... just get them focussed on the next game .. that happens to be West Ham and I'm sure Gus will be priming the team to win it. All I think he's saying (to the media) is, if we don't then it's not a disaster which losing to lesser teams might be.

I also agree that if we went up we'd more than likely come straight back down but it wouldn't be egg on the face. It would give the club a much better financial footing on which to build. TV money way exceeds what can be accumulated by putting bums on seats at the Amex and I'm sure the ambition has to be to try and get up until it's mathematically impossible. I don't really subscribe to spending "n" years to gain experience - money talks a lot more and Gus/Tanno know what to expect and have that experience. But as an earlier post suggested being in this position and on a poor run (3/18 points) is a new experience (no matter what league it's in) for Gus and it'll be interesting to see how he handles it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I would say that the League cup was taken seriously. It could even be argued that putting out a full strength side against Liverpool, started the current mini slump.

It feels a bit like playing an early version of football manager, to do well you have to keep winning, the first defeat (even if its against top class oppostion) reduces moral so much its difficult to win again for ages to re-build moral up again

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
We've done better than I expected. For the most part all the games at home at least have been very entertaining, even if it's gone against us. We have everything to play for given almost everyone is taking points off each other.

I was one of only a few that clapped the team off against Hull in our section, I thought we did well against a well drilled side, and was happy with the result. I got the impression a lot left feeling they'd been let down. Nothing wrong with being disappointed (which I was), but the expectations have to be proportional, and I felt the team had done their best.

If we do come away with 3 pts on Monday, then it should be treated as a massive result. Right now, I'd take another draw and clean sheet as we play ourselves back into some confidence. I haven't seen any of the players not give their best. For the likes of Dicker and Painter, their best may not be quite good enough, but 100% from them is good enough for me at the moment.

Top post, got it spot on.

Jan 30, 2008
Poyet seems to have changed to very much talking down the team and our chances. The latest quote in the Argus today about the possibility of beating West Ham is " if we beat West Ham, its a bonus. Lets not get unrealistic again ".

I am dissapointed at this. It smacks of the Micky Adams " we were playing Leeds " comments a couple of year back when Leeds had already lost 10 games that season, as a reason why we lost.

I am also surprised as this is not the Poyet we recognise. A couple of weeks back the comments went from " I want to keep a gap between us and the play offs going " , when we were 4 points clear, to " it is a 5 year plan to go up ".

It is very clear there is no intention of going up this season or even getting a play off place and as such there is no point in strengthening the side, we may as well just stick with what we have got as this squad is not be good enough to go up this season. Whats the point in strengthening the squad ?.

Mid table is fine and I am sure Poyet is happy we have 19 points already as we could be looking at being in a worrying position without the good start we had.

It seems the expectations are very low now, certainly this season with the odd win to keep the punters happy and the goal is to stay up.

Is everyone happy with this ?.
he's south American , what did you expect , short fuses, great when its going their way then sulk and slink away when the going gets tricky , DON'T TAKE A LOT OF WORKING OUT .

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Well the league table is keeping him happy then..............

A couple of weeks back the comments went from " I want to keep a gap between us and the play offs going " We're doing that just fine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here