Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tired cliched chanting - can we lead the way (and not do it)?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Saturday afternoon 3:02pm*: opposing fans belt out their first "Does your boyfriend know you're here?" to the Albion faithful. An ironic cheer goes up by way of a response.

"Do they think they're the first to sing that?" one Albion fan wearily asks another.

In all likelihood - no, no they don't. But they're doing what football supporters do oh-so-well: playing up to a tired old cliche.

But let's not pretend that the Albion fans are not guilty of the same, be it "Small town in....", "Sheepshaggers", "We pay your benefits" and many similar. They've heard it all before, generally most weeks.

How about we try and NOT do this? There have been some wonderfully inventive chants that have cropped up, seemingly with little forethought and they're often the best. Are we capable of avoiding the tired old cliches in the past from now on?

(* - this is about cliches, so we'll play along with the cliche that football happens at 3pm on a Saturday)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Its football, we do it and they do it because we both can. Mostly songs about the team are best though

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I remember when it was Watford years ago, as soon as Wilf Rostron touched the ball, it was:
"Elton's Boy, Elton's Boy Elton's Boy..."

Dunno why though...:whistle:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think the classic example of this has been "you're too ugly to be gay", but this is now becoming tired.

I think I heard recently "you're f***ing curious" at Millwall. That one made me chuckle!

Something new perhaps?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Most ANNOYING was "we pay your benefits" to Ipswich. Really? Its an affluent area and as for "its a shithole I wanna go home" err no Ipswich isnt.

Stoke YES.

Our fans need to stop this.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Bozza: Please, please, please listen! I've got one or two things to say.
NSC: Tell us! Tell us both of them!
Bozza: Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to chant 'We pay your benefits' or 'sheepshaggers'! You've got to think for yourselves! You're ALL individuals!
NSC: Yes! We're all individuals!
Bozza: You're all different!
NSC: Yes, we ARE all different!
Southern Sid: I'm not...
NSC: Shhhh!

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Bozza: Please, please, please listen! I've got one or two things to say.
NSC: Tell us! Tell us both of them!
Bozza: Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to chant 'We pay your benefits' or 'sheepshaggers'! You've got to think for yourselves! You're ALL individuals!
NSC: Yes! We're all individuals!
Bozza: You're all different!
NSC: Yes, we ARE all different!
Southern Sid: I'm not...
NSC: Shhhh!

[insert name of least fave poster here] is not a ultra fan
[insert name of least fave poster here] is a very naughty JCL
now go away

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This. All got way to pathetic recently with over analysis
Yeah. Even if we got rid of all the standing and the swearing and the perceived homophobia there is a depressingly-large body of our fans who would find something else to get outraged about.

I shall continue to drink beer, eat pies, support the team and not give a toss one way or the other about the opposition fans.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Yeah. Even if we got rid of all the standing and the swearing and the perceived homophobia there is a depressingly-large body of our fans who would find something else to get outraged about.

I shall continue to drink beer, eat pies, support the team and not give a toss one way or the other about the opposition fans.

Totally agree.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
"XXX is a shithole, I wanna go home" is unbearably tedious. Gets sung at every single venue, no matter how crap or otherwise. It's probably Hull's "does your boyfriend...".

Also bored of "Is there a firedrill", "your support is f***ing shit", "worst support we've ever seen" and various other yawnsome, patently untrue efforts that are, unfailingly dragged out everywhere, by every team.

Would be nice to come up with some originals, even if they then suffer the same fate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here