Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tired cliched chanting - can we lead the way (and not do it)?

Lush

Mods' Pet
Bozza: Please, please, please listen! I've got one or two things to say.
NSC: Tell us! Tell us both of them!
Bozza: Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to chant 'We pay your benefits' or 'sheepshaggers'! You've got to think for yourselves! You're ALL individuals!
NSC: Yes! We're all individuals!
Bozza: You're all different!
NSC: Yes, we ARE all different!
Southern Sid: I'm not...
NSC: Shhhh!

:lol: Post of the month!

I can't work out what I think about all this. I hate prejudice but love football banter. It's so inaccurate it's funny.

Rather worse was the leering and sexist comments my poor 15 year old daughter got while walking past a group of Leeds fans on Queens Road in her Albion shirt.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
'Does your boyfriend know you're here' just goes straight over my head.

'Do you take it up the ****' is significantly more offensive but currently my kids havnt picked up on it so I've not needed to explain it.

'You're too ugly to be gay' was in my view a really clever retort. I remember standing right next to spurs fans in the cup tie a few years ago with that meshing separating us and the look on their faces when it was sung to them was one of confusion in some (he's calling me ugly type faces), laughing at the speed and quality of the retort by others.

However, when the story came on the BBC news yesterday - my eldest son asked what the fans were singing and why. So something that had passed him by has now suddenly become more visible to him.

I would rather he concentrate on singing positively about his team - or at least about getting my gun :D

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
What's with our fans singing 'who are ya, who are ya' at all and sundry, and the old 'woooooooooooaaaaaaaaahhhhh, you're sh*t aaaaaaaahh' when a goalie takes a goal kick.

Both small time and very very tired and old.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
the old 'woooooooooooaaaaaaaaahhhhh, you're sh*t aaaaaaaahh' when a goalie takes a goal kick.

I actually think this is so old it's come back in again. Retro-banter.

Coming next: those big rattle things.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
The problem is football crowds can't remember more than 2 lines repeated over and over again.

What we need is some leaders in the crowd, like they do on the continent, to come up with original and no offensive team-supporting songs.

Hang on, someone's tried that lately haven't they? But aren't they all violent hooligans with right-wing political connections who make rubbish songs that only half the stadium join in with so they're: polarising our support > and it'll lead to violence > and then the inevitable sale of the AMEX to a housing development > and the end of our club.

Just saying, like. But I like the idea Bozza - you just need to think it through so it doesn't put the whole club's existence on the line.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'd like some chants that have not much relation to football and might just be fun to sing and bamboozle opposing fans. I'd like one called "Pogo" which would go something like:
I'm hopping...hopping...hopping, f***ing mad
But when i'm just pogoing life doesn't seem so bad.
*repeat*

And another to the tune of The Littlest Hobo and called The Littlest Seagull, perhaps about a mascot who can't unzip his/her suit and has to become a creature who daily steals chips from kids at lunchtimes, especially the portlier ones to deliver a healthier eating message, and splats massive droppings on windscreens, making out they are signs of good-luck no matter how loggish and sometimes window-crackingly heavy they seem.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I'd like some chants that have not much relation to football and might just be fun to sing and bamboozle opposing fans. I'd like one called "Pogo" which would go something like:
*repeat*

And another to the tune of The Littlest Hobo and called The Littlest Seagull, perhaps about a mascot who can't unzip his/her suit and has to become a creature who daily steals chips from kids at lunchtimes, especially the portlier ones to deliver a healthier eating message, and splats massive droppings on windscreens, making out they are signs of good-luck no matter how loggish and sometimes window-crackingly heavy they seem.

This is nothing if not creative. I like!!

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
*repeat*

Waiter? Waiter?!!

Can I have a pint of what he's drinking?

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
Bozza: Please, please, please listen! I've got one or two things to say.
NSC: Tell us! Tell us both of them!
Bozza: Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to chant 'We pay your benefits' or 'sheepshaggers'! You've got to think for yourselves! You're ALL individuals!
NSC: Yes! We're all individuals!
Bozza: You're all different!
NSC: Yes, we ARE all different!
Southern Sid: I'm not...
NSC: Shhhh!

Brilliant - I have to say I do love being addressed on a daily basis about how to be a Brighton fan at the minute

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
I actually think this is so old it's come back in again. Retro-banter.

Coming next: those big rattle things.

There is a big rattle in the north stand now. I think they're the future.

can we get back to singing the old style (retro if you like) 'abion' that sounded like a gallop rather than the current very slow 'albeeeeeoooon' dirge?

whilst at it can we also get it right that 'we're going up and we'll win the cup for sussex by the sea'

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Well at the end of the day, life goes on and you just have to take the rough with the smooth. But as long as we all give it 110% and take each game as it comes then we won't go far wrong.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
There is a big rattle in the north stand now. I think they're the future.

can we get back to singing the old style (retro if you like) 'abion' that sounded like a gallop rather than the current very slow 'albeeeeeoooon' dirge?

whilst at it can we also get it right that 'we're going up and we'll win the cup for sussex by the sea'

I love it when that bloke pops his arm up and swings that rattle! Brilliant. A lot of the North Stand enjoy the 'wooooooaahh' when the keeper is taking a goal kick, so leave them to it. If people don't like it they don't have to join in!
Personally I think we spend too much time worrying about what we sing and where, if people want to join in then do so, if not then don't!

Edit. [MENTION=4251]ROSM[/MENTION] , only meant to quote you on the rattle, sorry if it seems like I'm having a dig :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

There has been a reasonable amount of 'Albion' (c) 1982 recently, and rightly so. As you say, it's better than the Liverpool version.

However, I think [MENTION=282]Meade's_Ball[/MENTION] is onto something. Each game we should have a designated 1980s TV theme tune that we belt out. We should begin with The A-Team - uplifting and no lyrics required, and have Baywatch shortly thereafter. Gully's Girls could run in slo-mo across the pitch for that one.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
How easy is it to get one of these in?

foghorn.gif

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
What's with our fans singing 'who are ya, who are ya' at all and sundry, and the old 'woooooooooooaaaaaaaaahhhhh, you're sh*t aaaaaaaahh' when a goalie takes a goal kick.

RUBBISH

the continuation of the arrrrrrrghs as long as they have the ball is what makes our version special.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
How easy is it to get one of these in?

foghorn.gif

reminders of On the Ball 70's style where Brian Moore used to show highlights of european football which was either a sea of klaxons or dubbed over with a sea of klaxons.

Those were the days when the famous dutch team were pronounced like a bathroom cleaner. And we laughed at those plucky spanish teams with their diving antics. The world has moved on and so must we.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here