Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to lay off Harty

Hehe - you can set your watch by these threads. A few people complain, Harty threatens to quit so he gets an ego boosting thread like this. Classic stuff. :lolol:

I can't understand either side here. If you don't like it, don't listen. And I don't understand how someone who ran a fanzine and runs a phone in can be so thin skinned. Threatening to flounce every time a few people complain is getting boring now..

At the end of the day, the phone in provides entertainment for many people. Having an amateur presenter means that a lot of people (myself included) won't like the content. But a lot of people do like it. And some who don't like it (again, me included) will listen on and off which will bump up the figures- if just to hear the MM interview.

Surely some Albion related content is better than none? Why do we have to have these threads every month?

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
The Great Cornholio said:
Hehe - you can set your watch by these threads.

Surely some Albion related content is better than none? Why do we have to have these threads every month?

Hear hear:clap: :clap: :clap:

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Because certain people who hide behind screen names stoke it up Great Cornholio, yes I am an amateur presenter and I've never made any secret of that, but better men than you, if you are a man?, because I've never really got behind this keyboard anonymity think I do a good job. I don't really think your in a postion to start going on about flouncing, on the brief times you've had a bit of stick I remember you were the first one bleating but as I can almost set my watch with your sarky, holy than thou posts, perhaps we swop for places for a couple of weeks? You can host the phone-in and write a newspaper column and I'll sit behind my computer and take cheap shots at you and be really clever with my superior stance.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Does that really help matters Ian? Having a swipe at somone?
Great Cornholio has never hidden behind a screen name - in fact most of us know his real name because of stirling work done raising money for the Alive and Kicking fund.

Why can't we all try and make an effort to get on together and discuss the team we all love without trying to put each other down.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Harty,

Stick with the phone in - I would miss when driving home from the games.

Harty said:
Because certain people who hide behind screen names stoke it up Great Cornholio, yes I am an amateur presenter and I've never made any secret of that, but better men than you, if you are a man?, because I've never really got behind this keyboard anonymity think I do a good job. I don't really think your in a postion to start going on about flouncing, on the brief times you've had a bit of stick I remember you were the first one bleating but as I can almost set my watch with your sarky, holy than thou posts, perhaps we swop for places for a couple of weeks? You can host the phone-in and write a newspaper column and I'll sit behind my computer and take cheap shots at you and be really clever with my superior stance.

Yet again, I try to defend a show I don't really like and yet again you spew vitriol. And for the 10 thousandth time, nicknames/usernames are the way forums work. Your name isn't Harty. And my name is David Bulwer, which I told you the last time you accused me of hiding behind a computer name. My old address was public knowledge as well.

I constantly say that the show is not for me but keeps a lot of people happy. Yet you constantly single me out for your abuse rather than aiming it at people who are much stronger in their criticism. Strange but your right I suppose.

BTW - If I were thin skinned, I would have complained to your bosses at SCR about your unprovoked outburst using license payers money. But that was your way of responding to criticism which is your right. I don't know why you continually post on here if you don't like negative comments/cheap shots as you are bound to get some with a user base of over 3500.

Sorry if this is too sarky or superior for you. :)

Edit - for the record, my first post on the subject was this morning as my internet access is limited at the moment. I was not involved in the original threads or the bulk of this one - and yet again you single me out. I'm intrigued to know why you attack someone who tries to make salient points rather than base abuse and also someone who defends you to a degree. My amateur comments were not a cheap shot - just pointing out why some of the other comments you get come about. You are not John Inverdale or Des Lynam and so will make mistakes. Some people bred on Talksport and 606 will get (unfairly) upset that the Phone In isn't similar quality.

For what it's worth, I think the decision (Editorial rather than yours I presume) to add a "hot topic" is a bad one because it dissuades people from phoning up with a point if they are going to to be steered onto a subject about which they have no interest/view.

Try as you might, you won't persuade me to stop dipping in and out of you show to see if I want to listen!;)

Last edited:

Beeercan said:
TGC leave Harty alone, he does a good job.

Stay on Harty!!!!!

For :censored: sake read my posts if you are going to comment on me. I'm standing up for the guy even though we don't see eye to eye on many issues. Other people abuse him with no positives at all and yet I'm always the bad guy. Amazing. :nono:

It's it because I make long points? Or because I don't feel the need to use expletives? You guys really need to chill if you are going to use message boards. This is like playschool compared to some boards I visit. One guy pretended he had committed suicide on one board after an argument with another poster. (He got someone else to post the details - posting himself would have given the game away:lolol: )

This board seems to accept spamming, abusive language, personal attacks and threats, racist language, sexist viewpoints, promotion of drug use and much, much more. But God forbid if you should make a point using a long post or big words. You must be condescending or patronising.

That's it - I'm taking my DVD's, video clips, games and website and your not playing with it any more. :flounce:

(Joking! :jester: )

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Harty - keep up the good work, i might not always agree with everything but its still superb . Ignore the baiters of this board

Time to lay off harty or time to lay off Harty ?

Agree with those who want others to lay off Harty.

Disagree with those who want Harty laid off.

Long live the phone in. I love it - even 6500 miles away and I've called it a few times and bugger the expense of a phone call. Once they've taken your details, the beeb call you back anyway.

So living in Dublin's a feeble excuse.

BB

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Harty said:
To be fair I don't consider that the racism debate was self indulgent, in this day and age for a 12 year old boy to be subject to that and worse still it appears its all but been swept under the carpet by the authorities, beggars belief.
As a result of the show I came on NSC for my usual post match look to be met with abuse of a different kind.
I love doing the phone-in, and I love giving the Albion fans a platform for thier views, but as we said before the show stands and falls by its callers, there does come a point when i do wonder if it is all worth it.
I'd like to thank the people who have posted on my behalf in the last 24 hours, I will be back at Burnley on Saturday, along with Sir Norman Gall, but the bottom line is if you want an Albion themed phone-in, than you have to ring in your numbers and set the overall theme.
Maybe the texting is a problem, as I said on another thread, the SCR show has the third highest amount of texts per show for all of the BBC regions, almost all of the texts are quality but if we could just get 3 maybe 4 of those texters to call that would set the whole hour up.

Harty...

Love the show, including the phone-in, BTW... but...

Don't start with a topic that is NOT specifically Albion-related (even if it is important)... for instance, you could have gone with Jakey versus CKR on Saturday... will the march be better or worse supported than last year, etc... racism in footie is a key issue, but is nationwide... let the national media handle it unless, of course, our players are abused or similar...

Maybe you should deliberatly give less coverage to the texts as well... even if they are quality... or use them sparingly at the start of the show to kick-off Albion-related debate...

In summary... keep the phone-in, keep hosting it, but keep it Albion... I might even call in then!...

Richard Whiteley

Sep 24, 2003
But God forbid if you should make a point using a long post or big words. You must be condescending or patronising.

Spot on. That's Britain for you though.

Richard Whiteley said:
Spot on. That's Britain for you though.

Yes, anti-intellectualism has always been part of British culture, probably since the 19th century, it's a complicated reason but it's got something to do with battles within the British establishment between the cultivated, effete landed rich versus the nouveau riche making their money from industry - somewhere along the line learning got tagged by the latter as being wanky and non-practical, and their views have become very influential right down to today's time.

It's a weird piece of British cultural exceptionalism because as soon as you get to Ireland, language is prized and celebrated whatever part of society you come from, and if you head in the other direction to France, philosophers are treated sometimes like sex gods and rock stars over there.

The British anti-intellectual climate today pervades so much of lad culture from football to lad mags, and of course this "proud to be dumbed down and stupid" influences so many, including our good friends over at NSP :)

Last edited:

Richard Whiteley

Sep 24, 2003
London Irish said:
including our good friends over at NSP :)

disagree with you there

Why do we have to have these threads every month?

For the simple reason I guess that the phone-ins are different every week and it's possible to change your opinion on the performance of Harty as much as it is on the performance of McGhee and certain Albion players like Robinson and Oatway (although of course many people will always repeat the same view :) ).

As long as the phone-in remains an important part of Albion meeja, there will always be NSC threads about it. Harty will always get criticism, he will always respond, his critics will always respond, there will always be an entertaining and lively discussion about who is the more thin-skinned, Harty or his critics, and the virtuous circle will be completed before being re-enacted again, as you say, the next time.

What's wrong with that? Nothing! :lolol:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
Yes, anti-intellectualism has always been part of British culture, probably since the 19th century, it's a complicated reason but it's got something to do with battles within the British establishment between the cultivated, effete landed rich versus the nouveau riche making their money from industry - somewhere along the line learning got tagged by the latter as being wanky and non-practical, and their views have become very influential right down to today's time.

It's a weird piece of British cultural exceptionalism because as soon as you get to Ireland, language is prized and celebrated whatever part of society you come from, and if you head in the other direction to France, philosophers are treated sometimes like sex gods and rock stars over there.

The British anti-intellectual climate today pervades so much of lad culture from football to lad mags, and of course this "proud to be dumbed down and stupid" influences so many, including our good friends over at NSP :)

That is one of your most pretentious posts ever... congratulations!... :)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot understand why people of which TGC is usually at the front want to keep having a 'pop' at Harty. Generally I enjoy his show and knowing that he is Brighton thro and thro I know that we will get an interesting discussion about The Seagulls. Having said that I didnt agree with last Saturdays topic about rasicm because I thought that the matter shouldnt have been raised until such time as Sussex County FA had carried out an investigation concerning the ALLEGATIONS and I believe that Ian was badly advised to discuss it until then. I was going to phone in and make that point when I eventually got back to my car but Tim Durand kept saying that they had a lot of callers to get through who were waiting so I didnt bother.

The commentary is split between Bighton and North Surrey why can't the phone in after the game that way you would get Brighton fans talking about BHA and Woking etc fans talking about their club and game?

In the mean time keep up the good work Harty the vast majority of fans like to hear your views whether for or against the club provided nthat it is in the best interests of the fans.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here