Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to lay off Harty

Taylors Dummy

Nov 3, 2004
South West Rye
Don't go Harty........... At the moment there is nothing to moan about.... we're scoring goals, we are entertaining, it hasn't rained, the club hasn't got out the begging bowl, so your show is the only opportunity on a Saturday afternoon to have a moan (particularly at some old biddy that listened to a game back in 195? on her crystal set). Keep it up.

The only thing i would say is why the f*** did you have to open your big mouth about Millwall being in the bottom 3 all season. Do you do it on purpose?;)

At the end of the day, people are entitled to slag off the show if they want, it's a free country. Whether their views make any sense or not, is another matter. But my guess is that Harty has a tougher skin than he sometimes lets on. Sure, he will get peeved by what he percieves as negativity, as Tank did on here last night, but that goes with the territory, whether you are a footballer like Tank or a meeja person like Harty or Andy Naylor come to that.

I myself cannot understand why Harty's show has been getting criticism recently. He has been presenting the club's difficulties recently with great balance and responsibility - the test of that is the criticism he has been getting for both being a club poodle and a club critic - it reveals he is ploughing a sensible middle course. The show's format and the SCR preview of Harty's has been revamped for the better I feel - why, even NSC gets a little cameo role these days in the gossip section.

The last few weeks have been particularly good, I quite enjoyed the Goldstone shopping discussion and yesterday's one on racism was brave and pioneering for a football phone-in. It is such a decent listen nowadays that I always pester my girlfriend to tape it when I'm north oop north on an away game. Of course it needs more Albion listeners to call - but that's down to us.

I'm sure Harty will irritate the hell out of me sooner or later as I recognise my own prejudices are very pro-club management and he will sometimes take an oppositonal approach, but overall I think he is doing a very good job at the moment and didn't deserve that rather sour thread on NSC last night.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Cheers LI, and if I do piss you off it will only because its part of my remit to play devils advocate.
As for Bozza, 'forever begging' is a little OTT, yes I freely admit that I use NSC quite a bit to invite people to call, but its a bit like me saying to you that you had to beg people to buy your fanzine.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just ignore all this crap Harty, I phoned in as it was a very good topic.

Debated in the changing room as well this afternoon by my U14s and I have told them in no uncertain terms what will happen if any one of them racially abuse anyone on a pitch.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
:yawn:

Opinions vary.

Everyone wants a phone in.. everyones happy that Ian is doing it.. the only 'criticism' that going about is the choice of disgussion.

Its not a big deal, is it?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ernest said:
I hope you warned them about homophobic abuse too :angry: :angry: :angry:

Bit difficult at their tender age of life - everything seems "gay" - a poor pass, a bad shot an annoying opposition player......:lolol: :lolol:

Taylors Dummy

Nov 3, 2004
South West Rye
and i thought "Miss Brahms" pussy was bad enough Captain Peacock.

It's ok to say everything is "Gay" if you don't like it and ok to call your black mate "Ni66er" if your black yourself............... and i thought it was your teenage years when you were meant to be confused.:down: :down: ........... where's my prozac? :shrug:

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Taylors Dummy said:
and i thought "Miss Brahms" pussy was bad enough Captain Peacock.

It's ok to say everything is "Gay" if you don't like it and ok to call your black mate "Ni66er" if your black yourself............... and i thought it was your teenage years when you were meant to be confused.:down: :down: ........... where's my prozac? :shrug:

Why does'nt everybody love one and other. Group hug anybody?

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I think a balance needs to be struck here.

The phone-in obviously has the potential to be a good thing and, regardless of how bad it is, should always exist.

However, many people - myself included - have commented on the abysmal quality of it at the moment. It is presented and produced in an amateur fashion, from the 1940s jingles to the choice of wording ("send us your racist texts", said Tim Durrans yesterday.)

It's interesting, Harty, that you decided to give a lot of coverage to a (worthy yet ultimately boring and seemingly self-indulgent) racism debate yesterday, yet you consistently invite the idiot who posts on here as FG - who has constantly posted a stream of racist bile on here over a number of years - onto the phone-in.

In my opinion, yourself, your fellow presenters and the producers of the show could do with some training.

I understand your frustration at not getting enough quality callers. You have to appreciate that for the vast majority of Albion fans, calling the phone-in is not foremost in their thoughts after the game. Most of us like to go to the pub and continue getting drunk.

Keep up the good work and please don't be offended or downhearted by criticism, it happens to everyone who tries to make things happen at the Albion :thumbsup:

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Bozza said:
What on earth are you talking about? NSC doesn't have a voice beyond that of individual members.

After the length of time Ian has spent in the public eye, I'm sure he doesn't really give a toss about a small handful of those who may be having a pop.

And, FFS, those that might be having a pop are doing so at the phone-in not at Ian himself. And the problem seems to be, simply, that not enough people bother to actually phone in. Ian is forever begging on here for people to contribute.

True.....and there's certainly some choice MEMBERS on here.

Except that he was suggesting he might pack it all in!

I appreciate that, I know it's not personal........is the 'lets slag off the phone-in' thread on some sort of loop??

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
To be fair I don't consider that the racism debate was self indulgent, in this day and age for a 12 year old boy to be subject to that and worse still it appears its all but been swept under the carpet by the authorities, beggars belief.
As a result of the show I came on NSC for my usual post match look to be met with abuse of a different kind.
I love doing the phone-in, and I love giving the Albion fans a platform for thier views, but as we said before the show stands and falls by its callers, there does come a point when i do wonder if it is all worth it.
I'd like to thank the people who have posted on my behalf in the last 24 hours, I will be back at Burnley on Saturday, along with Sir Norman Gall, but the bottom line is if you want an Albion themed phone-in, than you have to ring in your numbers and set the overall theme.
Maybe the texting is a problem, as I said on another thread, the SCR show has the third highest amount of texts per show for all of the BBC regions, almost all of the texts are quality but if we could just get 3 maybe 4 of those texters to call that would set the whole hour up.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Harty said:
To be fair I don't consider that the racism debate was self indulgent, in this day and age for a 12 year old boy to be subject to that and worse still it appears its all but been swept under the carpet by the authorities, beggars belief.
As a result of the show I came on NSC for my usual post match look to be met with abuse of a different kind.
I love doing the phone-in, and I love giving the Albion fans a platform for thier views, but as we said before the show stands and falls by its callers, there does come a point when i do wonder if it is all worth it.
I'd like to thank the people who have posted on my behalf in the last 24 hours, I will be back at Burnley on Saturday, along with Sir Norman Gall, but the bottom line is if you want an Albion themed phone-in, than you have to ring in your numbers and set the overall theme.
Maybe the texting is a problem, as I said on another thread, the SCR show has the third highest amount of texts per show for all of the BBC regions, almost all of the texts are quality but if we could just get 3 maybe 4 of those texters to call that would set the whole hour up.

I know it would take a bit of time, but cant you phone some of the texters and ask if they want to talk?

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
i would phone in but havent got much confindence on the phone and havent been to a game yet this year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here