Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time now for the McGhee out brigade to hold their hands up

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
We are far better off without McGhee. Period.

Let's analyse a couple of things:

1. Who got us relegated because he was unable to decide on a strike partnership and changed strikers every game?

2. Who was unable to get the best out of CKR and didn't even believe he was worth a regular start in League One? The same CKR who is now a first team regular in the Premiership.

3. Who fell out with too many Albion players for it to have been a one-off and obviously lacks man-management skills?

He did OK for us at first, but his time was up and we're better off without him.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
the bottom line is; that wilkins was the cheap option. he would not be my choice but he was put in place and you have to let him have a chance!
mcghee lost the crowd and wilkins hasnt got them back. 3 points against orient or you go! end of thread!

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Uncle Spielberg said:
The time has no come for the McGhee out brigade to put their hands up and admit they made and contributed to one of the biggest, worst and incredible cock ups and mistakes in the history of this football club. I do not have pleasure in saying " told you so " as the future of the club is too important for petting point scoring.

Surely NO ONE can still say we are better off with Wilkins in charge than if we kept loyal to McGhee when I believe we would have got top the play offs.

We have shot ourselves in the foot and commited football suicide. Have we not leanred that appointing managers from within and the youth set up DOES NOT WORK.

We had the perfect set up with McGhee and his wealth of Div 1 experience and superb track record of promotions from this league and Wilkins learning the tools of the trade from him. It was simply too soon for Wilkins to take on the role, he does not have the experience, contacts , football nous and most importantly respect of the players to deliver the goods. He delivered the most damning indictment of his postion today by saying we worked on it all week and the players did not listen / do the things I asked them to. Well why not ?, your the manager, you pick the players, you do the team talk, you make the subs. He is obviously a soft touch and the players do not play for him, that much is obvious now.

Whats to be done, Knight was the man who decided to sack McGhee for no good reason and appoint Wilkins probably instigated from the boardroom . Well either give serious funds to buy 1/2 players who will keep the team up if you have the confidence in Wilkins to spend the money wisely, like we should have done last season or 2, sack Wilkins now and give the new man enough time to keep the team up.

Sitting on his hands and doing nothing and spending nothing is simply not an option this time around. Division 4 football which is where we are surely headed would be a disaster to the Falmer bid and another reason for a party for LDC, 2 relegations in a row beyond their wildest dreams.

The time for ACTION IS NOW AND THIS WEEK.

I cant believe im about to say this but apart from the "biggest cock up" bit, I Agree with US here. Internal appointments dont work here. IMHO I dont think we would be doing any wors with Mcghee here. I know these comparisons are a bit pointless but its just my opinion.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
le ros bif said:
Evidence for that statement?

about as tangible as evidence that things would have been better under McGhee. This is just speculation and achieves nothing. It doesn't get us out the mess we're in.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Dick is a great chairman and this is the first critical post I have ever done about him in 5 years but mistakes have been made and they need to be rectified and quickly

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Beach Hut said:
I thought you were not renewing or bothering to go so what does it matter to you ?

thats very flippant BH, just coz I am not renewing doesn't mean as a 35 year supporter I do not care, by this logic only 3000 peoples opinion's matter

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Uncle Spielberg said:
As far as I can see Wilkins has lost the dressing room far more than McGhee had,

Sorry but that is utter bollocks. Unless you've got some proof relating to it, I can't see how you even guess that your statement is remotely true...

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Take no notice it's just another wind-up.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Silent Bob said:
We'd have been worse off if McGhee had stayed. :)

I dunno, I'd quite like to be in a playoff position at the moment. If you thinks thats worse then thats up to you. DK, as was said by many at the time f***ed up big time by sacking him.

As already said though, whats done is done. The danger we have now is that we are now in a scenario where DK knows he was wrong in sacking McGhee and may put off sacking/demoting Wilkins because he doesnt want to be seen to make the same mistake twice.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Jam The Man said:
Sorry but that is utter bollocks. Unless you've got some proof relating to it, I can't see how you even guess that your statement is remotely true...

I think US is refering to the fact that yesterday Wilkins said "Weve been practicing things in traing all week and the players just didnt listen". If they're not listening to the manager then US's thinking is that he has lost the dressing room.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
goldstone said:
We are far better off without McGhee. Period.

Let's analyse a couple of things:

1. Who got us relegated because he was unable to decide on a strike partnership and changed strikers every game?

2. Who was unable to get the best out of CKR and didn't even believe he was worth a regular start in League One? The same CKR who is now a first team regular in the Premiership.

3. Who fell out with too many Albion players for it to have been a one-off and obviously lacks man-management skills?

He did OK for us at first, but his time was up and we're better off without him.

1. No - lack of investment in the vital last 1/3 rd of season
2. CKR was a spoilt brat and is now a regular warming the bench and has scored , wow 1 goal
3. Knight , Henderson, CKR all utter brats

Dod ok , I spose a promotion in the first season and the only manager to keep us in the championship was ok

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I love the fact that people make these claims that one particular incident is 'responsible' for our current situation. Take the team on its current merits if you are gonna compare it to 6 months ago. We have a young team getting tired, a bunch of new players to accomodate and a young manager who realistically needs an old hand to help him, the trouble is who would that be?

I was never MM out but I can see why Knight got rid of him. There were problems and a large majority of the fans wanted him out which while I didn't necessarily agree with their actions I could understand where they were coming from.

Football is an exact science so it anoys me when people start to point the sanctimonious shit stick with hindsight. MM sacking wasn't an out and out balls up by knight, think about it the fans were split so knight had to jump one way or the other.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Uncle Spielberg said:
thats very flippant BH, just coz I am not renewing doesn't mean as a 35 year supporter I do not care, by this logic only 3000 peoples opinion's matter

Not really what do you care if you cannot be bothered to go and watch the club when it is eaily accessible to you.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
It was a mistake to sack McGhee.

It was a mistake to appoint Wilkins.

It is a mistake to dwell on it.

I have noticed that,despite my feelings on this subject and the vocal yahoos at Bristol after the league game,Mr McGhee has not been reappointed,and the desperate and rapid appointment of Mr Wilkins has not been rescinded.

Pity I didn't win that £66m,really.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Without reading the whole thread and although, I think "biggest mistake ever" is a tad over-the-top it is quite clear we should have kept Mark McGhee onto the end of the season...The we could have allowed to Dean Wilkins to take over.

It would have been a more gracefull exit for McGhee, which is what he deserved and Deano could have had a season getting experience.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Gipsy Hill BHA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here