Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Time for Sanchez

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He isn't already.

But the potential is there. There will be bumps in the road.

To get there, he'd need to ping a pass like Ederson did for City's first goal last night. He's got it in him to do that and, since he's come in, we've been varying up our game much more than many on here credit. He probably needs to do a few other things too, but I suspect that he'll be off next summer for a very large sum.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can imagine Big Bob plucking a cross out of the air and in the same move luzzing the ball into the right flank of the opposition half where Lamptey is already running full pelt. :drool:

Stop that - go on I dare you!

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Calling it now.

Bob Sanchez will be the best keeper in the Premier League if he’s not already.

Bloody hell, I hope that never happens now. The thought of another period of you bouncing your own posts to tell us how you were right and how brilliant you are isn’t worth it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But over a season or very long run of games, imo, I would imagine that quality of shorts faced would even itself out.

That is most definitely NOT the case.

The type of chances a side generally cough up, depend significantly on the style of their defence. Nick Pope has great save % stats, because against a deep, well-organised defence, opponents resort to a lot of low-tariff hopefully long shots.

Conversely, Meslier has to face a lot of really high-quality chances due to playing behind a wide-open shambles of a 'defence'.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
To get there, he'd need to ping a pass like Ederson did for City's first goal last night. He's got it in him to do that and, since he's come in, we've been varying up our game much more than many on here credit. He probably needs to do a few other things too, but I suspect that he'll be off next summer for a very large sum.

If he maintains this level we will do well to keep him for a few more years. And if he breaks into the Spain first team forget about it.

Very smart from the club to extend his contract so early to protect our asset.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I haven't checked the stats, but my guess would be that our defence has imprived since Lampety has been injured.

Not having a pop at young Tariq - he's a get-you-out-of-the-seat player and no mistake - but as a defender, I think Veltman has the edge, by quite a margin currently. TL will improve and he offers way more that Veltman going forward clearly, but not sure you are correct.

Edit: just seen blue_shifted's comment. Fair point, but the quality of the defensive cover must have an impact on the keepers stats. With Veltman in for Lamptey, it feels like we've been far more solid in front of the keeper.

That's probably the case.

Lamptey is often playing as a de facto winger, so a price must be paid in defence.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
That is most definitely NOT the case.

The type of chances a side generally cough up, depend significantly on the style of their defence. Nick Pope has great save % stats, because against a deep, well-organised defence, opponents resort to a lot of low-tariff hopefully long shots.

Conversely, Meslier has to face a lot of really high-quality chances due to playing behind a wide-open shambles of a 'defence'.

20210505_090250.jpg

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Good graph, but the previous poster was referring to quality of shots rather than frequency

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I haven't checked the stats, but my guess would be that our defence has imprived since Lampety has been injured.

Not having a pop at young Tariq - he's a get-you-out-of-the-seat player and no mistake - but as a defender, I think Veltman has the edge, by quite a margin currently. TL will improve and he offers way more that Veltman going forward clearly, but not sure you are correct.

Edit: just seen blue_shifted's comment. Fair point, but the quality of the defensive cover must have an impact on the keepers stats. With Veltman in for Lamptey, it feels like we've been far more solid in front of the keeper.

Our defence has improved in terms of goals per game conceded since Lamptey has been injured, but that injury coincides with Sanchez coming in to permanently replace Ryan. I think defensive improvement probably has more to do with the latter.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Judging by the above graph, expected saves per game (in effect how exposed the keeper is) hasn't changed much between Ryan and Sanchez - it's still pretty low, but our Spanish collosus saves far more. That's how it looked too - it felt like every shot when Ryan was in goal went in. It clearly wasn't the case, but that is how it felt.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Judging by the above graph, expected saves per game (in effect how exposed the keeper is) hasn't changed much between Ryan and Sanchez - it's still pretty low, but our Spanish collosus saves far more. That's how it looked too - it felt like every shot when Ryan was in goal went in. It clearly wasn't the case, but that is how it felt.

I can't find the chart that shows this but we don't give up many shots but when we do, they are very high quality shots.

For us this season, Ryan faced the toughest shots in the league (0.37 PSxG/SoT). Sanchez has faced shots with an above average difficulty (0.31 PSxG/SoT).

So it's pretty consistent with both keepers that we give up few chances but high quality ones. The difference is that Sanchez has been able to save more of them than Ryan did.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Sanchez is A young keeper who has just broken through to the 1st team and also cost the home game against Leicester.

Half the team will be off in the summer if everyone here keeps banging on about how good they are :lolol:

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
Sanchez is A young keeper who has just broken through to the 1st team and also cost the home game against Leicester.

Half the team will be off in the summer if everyone here keeps banging on about how good they are :lolol:

*cough* agreed, he's awful.

Sanchez, Bissouma and White need a few more years at Brighton to show they can hack it at this level. *wink wink, nudge nudge*

Locadia on the other hand. Not sure we can expect to hold onto a talent of his magnitude. Sadly.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
How on earth did he get a yellow at the end when that ink covered **** at the other end took weeks to take each goal kick and months to release the ball when he had it in his hands when they were winning

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
“And what to say about our “Panther”?

Robert Sanchez stopped EVERYTHING this afternoon”

[tweet]1410334626757947402[/tweet]

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think we all know how this is going to play out don't we? England will play Spain in the final, their keeper will get injured and Bobby will come on and end up winning the match by saving a penalty in the penalty shootout.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think we all know how this is going to play out don't we? England will play Spain in the final, their keeper will get injured and Bobby will come on and end up winning the match by saving a penalty in the penalty shootout.

Is Ben White playing? :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here