Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Time for Sanchez

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Rave reviews that equate to 9 PL clean sheets and an international call up for Spain just 18, 12, and/or 6 months after writing.

I have got to read those, can you please share them.
If you didn't follow his progress on League 1 and 2 clubs' fans' websites over the last few years, I'm not trawling back to find links.

One exchange on the Rochdale site that stuck in my mind, though, went like this (it was when they signed Ben Roberts on loan). Is he (Roberts) any good? one asked. The reply was, if he's half as good as our last loanee from Brighton (Sanchez) he'll be a grand signing for us. They appreciated - and remembered - him.

So yes, a successful venture into the PL was well on the cards, and no surprise to Rochdale fans (or to some FGR fans who recognised his potential if/when he cut out the bad (naive) decision making). I dare say not many of us (or Rochdale supporters) were thinking about a call up for Spain just yet though!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Save percentage is a bit of an outdated stat as it doesn't take into account the quality of the shot.

If we use a more relevant metric, Sanchez is still top 4.

View attachment 136113

Stats alone will never truly reveal the best keeper, I do realise that. Many other factors in play.

But over a season or very long run of games, imo, I would imagine that quality of shorts faced would even itself out.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Stats alone will never truly reveal the best keeper, I do realise that. Many other factors in play.

But over a season or very long run of games, imo, I would imagine that quality of shorts faced would even itself out.

If we order the goalkeepers by who has faced the highest quality shots, none of the top 5 for save percentage are in the top 5.

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 9.42.23 AM.png

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you didn't follow his progress on League 1 and 2 clubs' fans' websites over the last few years, I'm not trawling back to find links.

One exchange on the Rochdale site that stuck in my mind, though, went like this (it was when they signed Ben Roberts on loan). Is he (Roberts) any good? one asked. The reply was, if he's half as good as our last loanee from Brighton (Sanchez) he'll be a grand signing for us. They appreciated - and remembered - him.

So yes, a successful venture into the PL was well on the cards, and no surprise to Rochdale fans (or to some FGR fans who recognised his potential if/when he cut out the bad (naive) decision making). I dare say not many of us (or Rochdale supporters) were thinking about a call up for Spain just yet though!

Much like none of us or Rochdale fans saw a list of PL clean sheets just 7 months after he completed his League 1 loan spell.

It's alright, it's ok to say 'blimey I never saw this coming certainly not so quickly'.
Nobody has to be ahead of the curve.

If anything I think it's better for all concerned, esp us lot, for Big Bob to say:-

'This is mine now".

He's had no fanfair, no swooning, no rabid declarations of "he must play".

My initial point being we've all been caught (like a 93 minute corner) by Bob and it's a good thing that should be embraced, not lied about in a 'well I knew' stylee.

(and no I'm not new here, despite that final sentence)

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Much like none of us or Rochdale fans saw a list of PL clean sheets just 7 months after he completed his League 1 loan spell.

It's alright, it's ok to say 'blimey I never saw this coming certainly not so quickly'.
Nobody has to be ahead of the curve.

If anything I think it's better for all concerned, esp us lot, for Big Bob to say:-

'This is mine now".

He's had no fanfair, no swooning, no rabid declarations of "he must play".

My initial point being we've all been caught (like a 93 minute corner) by Bob and it's a good thing that should be embraced, not lied about in a 'well I knew' stylee.

(and no I'm not new here, despite that final sentence)

Some of us actually reckoned Sanchez had moved past Walton some way before this season. It's been here on NSC, so don't go shouting 'after-timing' - it isn't. Once again I can't be arsed to do the trawling back for you.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some of us actually reckoned Sanchez had moved past Walton some way before this season. It's been here on NSC, so don't go shouting 'after-timing' - it isn't. Once again I can't be arsed to do the trawling back for you.

That's fine.

The gentle point I'm trying (and clearly failing) to make is nobody was putting him ahead of Ryan at the start of the season, not even the fans who had taken against him.

Even if those 'after timers' (who god forbid mustn't even show signs of 'weakness' on a faceless, nameless messageboard) did decide to lie and say 'I've been saying since August Sanchez MUST replace Ryan', even those poor deluded fools weren't saying:-

'He must replace Ryan now because he'll win the Golden Gloves and get an international call up, in 6 months time'.

The fact that none of that was happening I find all rather refreshing and nice, and the Big Bob story is all the better for it.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's fine.

The gentle point I'm trying (and clearly failing) to make is nobody was putting him ahead of Ryan at the start of the season, not even the fans who had taken against him.

Even if those 'after timers' (who god forbid mustn't even show signs of 'weakness' on a faceless, nameless messageboard) did decide to lie and say 'I've been saying since August Sanchez MUST replace Ryan', even those poor deluded fools weren't saying:-

'He must replace Ryan now because he'll win the Golden Gloves and get an international call up, in 6 months time'.

The fact that none of that was happening I find all rather refreshing and nice, and the Big Bob story is all the better for it.

So, because none of the rave reviews he got didn't actually specify he'd be Brighton's no,1 keeper and be picked for Spain before the end of the 2020-21 season, they don't count as rave reviews. Okey-doke.
Somebody expressed surprise at Sanchez's overnight success, thinking he hadn't received rave reviews out on loan, and I pointed out that he had been very highly praised during his loan spells - then you came storming in to argue the point, insisting on a very detailed definition of what a 'rave review' had to contain to qualify.

Now you are sounding like an American owner thinking 'whoops' while not wanting to appear to be admitting it! :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So, because none of the rave reviews he got didn't actually specify he'd be Brighton's no,1 keeper and be picked for Spain before the end of the 2020-21 season, they don't count as rave reviews. Okey-doke.
Somebody expressed surprise at Sanchez's overnight success, thinking he hadn't received rave reviews out on loan, and I pointed out that he had been very highly praised during his loan spells - then you came storming in to argue the point, insisting on a very detailed definition of what a 'rave review' had to contain to qualify.

Now you are sounding like an American owner thinking 'whoops' while not wanting to appear to be admitting it! :lolol:

I just think it's good that 'we' don't have any of the 'I told you so' (good or bad) baggage that accompanies every other first team starter.
We can all just watch and say 'this guy is the mutts'.

Christ even this thread started in December with 'he can't do any worse' and 6 (six) thumbs up.

With regards to anything else it seems like you're allowing your internal monologue to infer something that really isn't there.

So I'll be off now.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
What do all those columns mean?

PSxG -- Post-Shot Expected Goals
PSxG is expected goals based on how likely the goalkeeper is to save the shot

PSxG/SoT
Post-Shot Expected Goals per Shot on Target

PSxG+/- -- Post-Shot Expected Goals minus Goals Allowed
Positive numbers suggest better luck or an above average ability to stop shots

/90 -- Post-Shot Expected Goals minus Goals Allowed per 90 minutes
Positive numbers suggest better luck or an above average ability to stop shots

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I just think it's good that 'we' don't have any of the 'I told you so' (good or bad) baggage that accompanies every other first team starter.
We can all just watch and say 'this guy is the mutts'.

Christ even this thread started in December with 'he can't do any worse' and 6 (six) thumbs up.

With regards to anything else it seems like you're allowing your internal monologue to infer something that really isn't there.

So I'll be off now.

:facepalm: "I told you so" - what bollocks! Nobody said that. What I said was that he had some rave reviews while he was out on loan, which he did. You chose to argue about that fact, for some unfathomable reason. Anyway, I've got more interesting things to do now.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Calling it now.

Bob Sanchez will be the best keeper in the Premier League if he’s not already.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Calling it now.

Bob Sanchez will be the best keeper in the Premier League if he’s not already.

He isn't already.

But the potential is there. There will be bumps in the road.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
It's fantastic that he is at the top of that list, what must also be noted is how good the team has been in front of him to help him achieve those clean sheets.
The defence has been rock solid, the midfield has been pressing and tackling superbly and also our front players have been pressing consistently.

All for the greater good. However I don't think it's a coincidence that we've conceded less goals with Sanchez, he oozes confidence and this has filtered down to his defence.

I'm so looking forward to next season with Lamptey and March back in the wing back roles. With Sanchez, White, Dunk and Webster alongside those two. Wow, what a back 6 we'll have!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It's fantastic that he is at the top of that list, what must also be noted is how good the team has been in front of him to help him achieve those clean sheets.
The defence has been rock solid, the midfield has been pressing and tackling superbly and also our front players have been pressing consistently.

All for the greater good. However I don't think it's a coincidence that we've conceded less goals with Sanchez, he oozes confidence and this has filtered down to his defence.

I'm so looking forward to next season with Lamptey and March back in the wing back roles. With Sanchez, White, Dunk and Webster alongside those two. Wow, what a back 6 we'll have!

I reckon Joel Veltman will have something to say about that!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
He's been great and slotted in nicely, but we need pace in the wingback position. If Lamptey is fit then he'll play.

100% with you.

But we signed Veltman as a centre back. I think he'll play there. Anyway, the Sanchez thread's probably not the place to discuss our defensive options

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
He's been great and slotted in nicely, but we need pace in the wingback position. If Lamptey is fit then he'll play.

I haven't checked the stats, but my guess would be that our defence has imprived since Lampety has been injured.

Not having a pop at young Tariq - he's a get-you-out-of-the-seat player and no mistake - but as a defender, I think Veltman has the edge, by quite a margin currently. TL will improve and he offers way more that Veltman going forward clearly, but not sure you are correct.

Edit: just seen blue_shifted's comment. Fair point, but the quality of the defensive cover must have an impact on the keepers stats. With Veltman in for Lamptey, it feels like we've been far more solid in front of the keeper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here