Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time for CMS to be dropped or sold

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
He could be the midfield dynamo we need. Bags of energy, harrying opposition players, playing without the pressure of trying to score, and getting more touches of the ball could help him develop his touch.

He is 29 years old-he hasn't developed his touch yet so putting him in midfield is hardly likely to turn him into a player with a good first touch is it? Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it happen but the sad fact is that it is most unlikely to happen. He needs to slow down instead of running at the ball at 100mph all the time.

Stumpy Tim

The thing is, I think we have the players to play like Watford did last night, apart from a striker with enough physical presence & a good enough touch to hold the ball up & bring others in. Deeney was excellent for Watford - could anyone see CMS playing the link-up man for their third goal like Deeney did? If we had that forward, we could afford to play Dobbie in his preferred attacking midfield role for example (why the f*** was Barnes brought on ahead of Dobbie by the way?)

I am hoping that Gus has noticed that the best teams in the division have attacking threats across midfield... they don't have defensive wingers.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Love to know what Norwich have seen that makes them wanna spend good money on Macca? He was outstanding in Div 1 but has had 3 cracks at the Championship without making an impact. How is he gonna manage in the Prem?
Saying that, IF it's true, I imagine we'll bite their arm off!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why are so many people so blindly stupid?

Had CMS continued to play as he did against Peterborough this thread would be right and justified, hell I might even have started it.

No striker on the whole planet could have scored for us in the first 80 minutes, last night.

I don't care who you are, you're not going to score if you're not given the ball in a position to score.

CMS would have ripped us apart, had he signed for Watford.
Everyone on this forum would be demanding TB spent £10m on him, in order to get our play-off challenge back on track.

The problem isn't CMS, and never will be all the time we have a solid enough back 5, protected by a 'staggering' 2 holding midfielders and a defensive winger.

Free up the midfield, support the striker, give him the chances to miss.
If he misses this thread is justified, if he doesn't we are in the play-off.

Had CMS continued to play as he did against Peterborough this thread would be right and justified, hell I might even have started it.

No striker on the whole planet could have scored for us in the first 80 minutes, last night.

I don't care who you are, you're not going to score if you're not given the ball in a position to score.

Everyone on this forum would be demanding TB spent £10m on him, in order to get our play-off challenge back on track.

The problem isn't CMS, and never will be all the time we have a solid enough back 5, protected by a 'staggering' 2 holding midfielders and a defensive winger.

Totally agree. Unfortunately, our tactics are the problem. Too slow, too predictable and no incision. Watching the game last night, you could see it etched in the players' faces that they do not believe in this system. For the 2nd game running, we have played a 4-5-1 at home - a very negative formation. Something is wrong and it was exactly the same last season, but with different players; what does that tell you? CMS is NOT the problem. We will not go anywhere in our current system and tactics. Simple. We need pace, desire, technical ability and power - do we have these presently?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jnr is watching MotD, Soton v Stoke.
Soton 3-1 early in the second half.

The ball is cleared out to halfway from the Stoke final third,

It's knocked back towards the Stoke goal and Soton have 4 players on the edge of the box, the defence is stretched across the pitch.

We haven't had 4 players across their box for 18 months, whether we are 3-1 or 3-1 down.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Matej Vydra.... Why haven't we got him ? Poor decision by Poyet et al. to let him go to Watford.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
There's absolutely nothing wrong with CMS. We just need a manager with the tactical acumen to get the best out of him. Sadly Urugrury's answer to Frank Spencer can offer only tactical ineptitude.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We need pace, desire, technical ability and power - do we have these presently?
I think we have that in spades, with some great transfers from Gus, it's what he's rigidly doing with it that's the problem.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Matej Vydra.... Why haven't we got him ? Poor decision by Poyet et al. to let him go to Watford.
But how would we use him.

It doesn't who we have it's how we play them.

Ward1971

Oct 24, 2012

This 100%. If you play 1 up front you need to move the ball quicker and get midfielders up to support CMS quickly , not pump balls up to his chest with the nearest midfielder 15 yards away from him . Tactics , tactics ,tactics all to blame

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I seriously hope we don't sell CMS in January. If so, we all might as well hold up our hands and say we've made no progression since moving to the Amex, we've possibly gone backwards.

CMS has the ability to be a top goalscorer once paired up with another Forward.

The tactics are the issue, not the players! How many times!?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Wrong player for our system, but Crofts and Hammond also suffer from this as well.

Either change the system or move the players out.

Poyet bought these 2 along with CMS,presumably with some plan in mind.
Regrettably,he doesn't seem to be able to get the best out of our players.
Got to ask,should it be the players who go or the manager?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here