Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Time for a new, modern National Anthem?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I noticed that those who suggest 'Jerusalem' haven't received much support. Anyone want to give a reason why?

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I was thinking this when GSK was being sung during the game against Slovakia. As a republican atheist, I was ok with asking a nonexistent deity to save Liz, she was after all from another era both religious and socially and relatively inoffensive. As a nation to sing the same for someone who is relatively unpopular and crowned in the current era seems somewhat childish

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I am sure people from other countries must laugh when they hear us sing that song, makes it sound like we are living in some sort of tin pot dictatorship like North Korea!

It genuinely makes me cringe when I hear it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Dutch should have this as their National anthem. And when the players line up at the start of a game they should do the to-the-left, to-the-right movements and then the chorus dance instead of any hand over the heart nonsense.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This will obviously be the new German anthem.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Always thought Jerusalem would be good myself
Right on with the revolutionary zeal And religious fervour. ”hand me my sword……!”
totally agree with the sentiments though! Come Thursday, someone might have the opportunity to build Jerusalem in England’s green and pleasant land!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I noticed that those who suggest 'Jerusalem' haven't received much support. Anyone want to give a reason why?
Fine being sung as a hymn in a church or by the WI.

I know the reason it’s called Jerusalem but I don’t think an anthem for England should be called Jerusalem (a place nowhere near England)

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Rule, Britannia! would be OK for modern society because it is explicitly anti-slavery and the exhortation to "rule the waves", when it came true later in the 18th century and into the 19th, was the reason the UK was able to impose the abolition of the slave trade onto the kicking and screaming world.

But sadly, it refers to the whole of Britain, not just England, so it has one of the same objections to "God Save the King".
The issue with the National Anthem (Brighton/Sussex/England/UK) is that it doesn’t f***ing reference ANY of those things but instead talks to a hereditary pinnacle of the establishment that continues to hold these islands back. The fact that it’s a DIRGE too is just an added reason to f***ing bin the shit thing!

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I think we should contract the job out to Coldplay, they'll come up with a cracker for sure.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The issue with the National Anthem (Brighton/Sussex/England/UK) is that it doesn’t f***ing reference ANY of those things but instead talks to a hereditary pinnacle of the establishment that continues to hold these islands back. The fact that it’s a DIRGE too is just an added reason to f***ing bin the shit thing!
We have to have something to keep the flag-shaggers happy, which means glorification of the institutions (god and church) and some reference to creed and breed (shhhh - "there ain't no black in the union jack"). We don't want anything that forces us into multiculturalism. And it should be sung only by men.

God Save the Queen it is, then.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Right on with the revolutionary zeal And religious fervour. ”hand me my sword……!”
totally agree with the sentiments though! Come Thursday, someone might have the opportunity to build Jerusalem in England’s green and pleasant land!
Sword? You're singing a different version. Bow, arrows, spear, chariot of fire are the weapons.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Need to ditch the Monarchy first, one thing at a time

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
They will do. Labour have promised to build new towns. I expect the team of advisors who will be announced soon after the election to include luminaries from the Town and Country Planning Association whose very raison d'etre is to promote the building of utopian settlements inspired by the principles of Ebenezer Howard.
(I'm still voting Green though).

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
We have to have something to keep the flag-shaggers happy, which means glorification of the institutions (god and church) and some reference to creed and breed (shhhh - "there ain't no black in the union jack"). We don't want anything that forces us into multiculturalism. And it should be sung only by men.

God Save the Queen it is, then.
Victoria?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here