Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Time for a new, modern National Anthem?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Land of Hope and Glory for me.

Irrespective of what music is used for our National Anthem we'll still have the poor attitude of some of our players. Over the years you'll watch them line up and split into two camps. Those who really make the effort to belt it out and signify their national pride in representing our country or those just a little too overpaid and arrogant who think it's a little bit uncool. And most of the latter aren't bright enough to argue they're anti royal hence little or no effort to sing.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Irrespective of what music is used for our National Anthem we'll still have the poor attitude of some of our players. Over the years you'll watch them line up and split into two camps. Those who really make the effort to belt it out and signify their national pride in representing our country or those just a little too overpaid and arrogant who think it's a little bit uncool. And most of the latter aren't bright enough to argue they're anti royal hence little or no effort to sing.
Trouble is it’ll take years to remember the words for most of the players

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Ode To Joy

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017

Might need to cut out some of 'instrumental' breaks, it's already fast enough for everyone to sing. Lyrics of people being nice to each other might be waaaaay too 'woke' for some though tbf! 😂

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Lets drive those heathen republicans into the sea from whence they came!
Pitchforks! Pitchforks!
For KING and country!
Rule Britannia etc.
You can't replace the classics

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

No. It is a shit song. I know my songs. You can't belt it out. Fact.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

LOHG is an outdated song about Empire glories: 'Wider still and wider shall thy bounds be set'

It's a song that is very catchy but is a symbolism of a bye-gone era long gone and utterly irrelevant to the modern day. National anthems should be about pride in your own nation, not the conquest and feigned superiority over others. That's not patriotism, if anything it's a sign of weakness and insecurity. Like playground bullies.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
LOHG is an outdated song about Empire glories: 'Wider still and wider shall thy bounds be set'

It's a song that is very catchy but is a symbolism of a bye-gone era long gone and utterly irrelevant to the modern day. National anthems should be about pride in your own nation, not the conquest and feigned superiority over others. That's not patriotism, if anything it's a sign of weakness and insecurity.
And there you have it " very catchy " as opposed to a droning dirge. Your mistake was over analysis of the song meaning. Also missing the main point of my post in that a large number of players can't be arsed to sing anything.

But as you've taken me what's your suggestion?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
And there you have it " very catchy " as opposed to a droning dirge. Your mistake was over analysis of the song meaning. Also missing the main point of my post in that a large number of players can't be arsed to sing anything.

But as you've taken me what's your suggestion?
That a new one is written. Why do we need to keep looking back ?

Tradition is just dead people telling you what to do.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
My issue is the tune, it’s a dirge. Compare to the certified bangers from the US, Italy, Germany, France… ours is just a shit song

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Rule, Britannia! would be OK for modern society because it is explicitly anti-slavery and the exhortation to "rule the waves", when it came true later in the 18th century and into the 19th, was the reason the UK was able to impose the abolition of the slave trade onto the kicking and screaming world.

But sadly, it refers to the whole of Britain, not just England, so it has one of the same objections to "God Save the King".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here