Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thread of players you thought would be amazing but never lived up to their potential

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Liam Miller

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Perhaps there's still time for him, but John Bostock was the subject of Simon Jordan's great vengeance and furious anger after he decided to sign for Spurs and Palace didn't get much money in return.

Last I heard he was on loan at Hull, but not particularly shining.

In the same ilk as Bostock Tom Taiwo. Chelsea tapped him up from Leeds along with Michael Woods, He's now at Carlisle.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
For the Albion it has to be Paul Kitson, the man who was injured so often that he was followed round the pitch by two members of the St John Ambulance with a stretcher.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Paul McShane - was convinced he was leaving us to go back to United and play a big part there.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Diego Arismendi

And me, I thought at 12 I was the best keeper in the world but it turned out I was utterly rubbish :lolol:

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
all mine are based on championship manager

guess the edition

julias agahowah
cherno samba

haha champ was always pretty accurate though if i remember rightly (stopped playing due to massive addiction)

before my time but i also love the robin friday story...

best quote about him by a former gaffer - (amazing player...) "would stick his head where a sane man wouldn't put his boot"

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Wayne Rooney? Once lauded as potential world class.......I dont think he will actually achieve this now.

I'm with you, Herr T. Other than run around snarling and swearing at refs, he is really just a very expensive clogger.

Oct 25, 2003
aghahowa is definitely one.........he seemed to spend absolutely ages playing in ukraine being watched by all the top clubs, by the time he came to england he was bloody rubbish

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
For the Albion, I thought Kevin Thornton looked the business in his first few games. Then he went to pieces.

Kieron Dyer is a great shout though. Remember watching him tear Luxembourg apart at Wembley when he was about 18, he looked a real prospect. Now he's just an injury prone crap chav. A great shame.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I read an article on Robin Friday recently who played for Reading and Cardiff City in the mid-seventies. He had so much talent but got pissed before matches, fought in pubs, smoked weed and did acid, kicked players in the nuts, ending up in prison before dying at the age of only 38. Quite a story. :eek:

And immortalised in a SFA song titled 'The Man Dont Give a f***.'

RedTed99

Nov 28, 2010
Some good shouts on here - a couple more for consideration:

Kevin Hofland
Denílson de Oliveira Araújo (the Denilson of Real Betis who enjoyed a stepover or ten, and was once the world's most expensive player)

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Anyone remember Sonny Pike? Ajax wonderkid who appeared regularly on UK chat shows in the 90's?

Whatever happened to Sonny Pike? | Football | guardian.co.uk

Good call, he was supposed to be the next wonder kid in the mould of Joe Cole
Ajax signed him up at 7 seven years old and there were a few documentary's charting him

I also remember Nii Lamptey and really wanted him to do well (he had a rough childhood)
Played a few games for Villa then disappeared off the radar

Oct 2, 2008
Not sure why but when I looked at this thread the first name that occurred to me was Freddy Eastwood. Was going to be the next big thing but has never got close to matching what he did at Southend.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Kevin McLeod - had a storming pre-season when he first arrived, turned out to be his peak

Peter Ward - once he left the Albion he should have gone on to be a star but Cloughie ruined him.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Paul Rideout
I recall watching him play for England schoolboys in an international at Wembley. It was live on BBC and i am pretty sure he got a hatrick. He really looked the bees knees but never really settled, had a number of clubs, including Bari (where he did not do at all badly) and Everton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here