Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thread of players you thought would be amazing but never lived up to their potential

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Andy Ritchie... for us a great player but when at Man U you thought he was going to play for England forever!

NeonLeon (he WAS alright)

The tragedy that was Paul Lake....... how much England needed a player like him but career cruelly ruined. Possibly the best prospect I ever saw.

paul_lake_152x203.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What about Lee Martin - that guy who scored in the Cup Final for Man Utd?

Yes, that's a good one. Or the winger who played against us in 1983, Alan Davies. Lost his place next season and committed suicide at 30 - one of the saddest stories of all.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Yes, that's a good one. Or the winger who played against us in 1983, Alan Davies. Lost his place next season and committed suicide at 30 - one of the saddest stories of all.

Thought he became Jonathan Creek?

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Stan Collymore. So much talent but didn't get enough help from the FA for his depression. Good pundit on TV though.

Stuart Slater. Awesome at West Ham. Liam Brady signed him for Celtic but never fulfilled his early potential.

Darren Caskey. Started at Tottenham and was highly rated but went to Reading and dropped down the leagues.

I can't see Freddie Sears living up to all the hype after he scored for West Ham when he was about 17. Still time though.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Seems a long time ago now but Dean Bowditch was supposed to be the next thing when he scored a hat trick for Ipswich on his debut as a sixteen year old. Now a fairly ordinary third division striker with Yeovil.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Richard Wright, former England-keeper-in-waiting.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Going back a bit now: Justin Fashanu.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Seems a long time ago now but Dean Bowditch was supposed to be the next thing when he scored a hat trick for Ipswich on his debut as a sixteen year old. Now a fairly ordinary third division striker with Yeovil.

I remember him being the next big thing & big clubs swarming around him. A bit like Conor Wickham now.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Early in the 1990s Milan signed a bloke for a world record fee from another Italian club, can't remember his name (which says everything). He proved largely rubbish, then crashed his car spectacularly, suffered fairly severe injuries, and disappeared off the radar forever.

Was thinking of Cassano but it's not him, who the hell am I thinking of??

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
For me in recent times the biggest disappointment who never fully got to live up to their full potential (and through no fault of his own)

Would now be Englands regular number 9, a truly class Old Fashioned English Centre Forward (the natural replacement for Shearers mantle).

Just on the verge of greatness when Shaun Wright Phillips accidently ended his career in a training ground tackle.

0,,12562~3530106,00.jpg

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Early in the 1990s Milan signed a bloke for a world record fee from another Italian club, can't remember his name (which says everything). He proved largely rubbish, then crashed his car spectacularly, suffered fairly severe injuries, and disappeared off the radar forever.

Was thinking of Cassano but it's not him, who the hell am I thinking of??
dino baggio ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here