Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thread of players you thought would be amazing but never lived up to their potential

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
dino baggio ?

I've just got it it, it was Gianluigi Lentini :thumbsup:

Is it controversial to include Michael Owen in this thread?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Early in the 1990s Milan signed a bloke for a world record fee from another Italian club, can't remember his name (which says everything). He proved largely rubbish, then crashed his car spectacularly, suffered fairly severe injuries, and disappeared off the radar forever.

Was thinking of Cassano but it's not him, who the hell am I thinking of??
i know of the case your talking about, butb i'm sure he was rubbish after the crash ?

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
A lad called Martin "Buster" Phillips who was playing in Exeter's first team at 16, and suffered the calamity of being labelled "England's first £10 million player" by his manager Alan Ball. I remember seeing him play at the Goldstone & he was tiny, looked like the mascot.

Ended up wasting away at Plymouth (via Man City I seem to recall) and into non league.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Wasn't Dale Jesper supposed to be the next Ray Wilkins when he came through at Chelsea?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Neil Mellor was highly fancied as a kid with Liverpool, then he got fat and this season is the first one in his entire career when he's actually looked like a striker. Third division is his level I guess, the pie-munching Micky.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Joe Gatting :jester:

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Dean Marney, remember him bursting onto the scene with Spurs, scored a couple of brilliant goals on his debut - looked like a really promising goal-scoring box-to-box midfielder. Instead he's just faded into an alright Championship midfielder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IeHH9ksUyU

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Stephen Hughes- Part of Arsene Wengers first double winning Arsenal team keeping David Platt out of the side. Was last seen playing out his days at Walsall.

Can't help but feel injuries & poor career decisions meant Owen & Joe Cole never fully reached their potential. Can add Kieron Dyer to the list of players whos potential has been hampered by injuries.

Dean Ashton was a brilliant shout. Hopefully Carroll will go on to have the England career he should've had.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Steve McManaman
Jamie Redknapp
Darren Anderton

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Quincy Owusu-Abeyie

He was ranted and raved about at Arsenal about five years ago. I genuinely thought he was going to be the natural successor to Thierry Henry.

Last time I saw him he was warming up Portsmouth's bench last season.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Has to be Mickey Thomas for me.Should have been a great signing for us...turned out to be a waster.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I read an article on Robin Friday recently who played for Reading and Cardiff City in the mid-seventies. He had so much talent but got pissed before matches, fought in pubs, smoked weed and did acid, kicked players in the nuts, ending up in prison before dying at the age of only 38. Quite a story. :eek:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Perhaps there's still time for him, but John Bostock was the subject of Simon Jordan's great vengeance and furious anger after he decided to sign for Spurs and Palace didn't get much money in return.

Last I heard he was on loan at Hull, but not particularly shining.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here