Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thornhill signs - Lynch Gone

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I am not bothered about Lynch leaving. He clearly had some talent, but decided that his talent would be better spent elsewhere. I am not fussed, in the slightest, if players set their sights on reaching as high as they can, but I would demand that they die for the cause whilst wearing the stripes.

A decent contrast would be McShane and CKR. Both had potential to do better than us, but only one of them looked like they cared and put in the required effort (and he was only here temporarily).

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I am not bothered about Lynch leaving. He clearly had some talent, but decided that his talent would be better spent elsewhere. I am not fussed, in the slightest, if players set their sights on reaching as high as they can, but I would demand that they die for the cause whilst wearing the stripes.

A decent contrast would be McShane and CKR. Both had potential to do better than us, but only one of them looked like they cared and put in the required effort (and he was only here temporarily).

Absolutely. Looking at the couple of games that McNulty played for us last year and Lynch playing at left back at times the season before, I know who I rate more highly (and it is not Lynch). We also have plenty of centre halves so don't need him there (already have to fit Elphick, Virgo and Tunnicliffe into two positions). Lynch did a good job for us in the Championship when he first came in and during Wilkins last season in charge but I don't want players who think they are better than they are and Lynch is clearly in that category.

The key part of the deal for me is the sell on. If Lynch does nothing at Forest then we have done well to get £200K but if he succeeds and moves on, we will get 25% of the profit. I think it is a pretty good deal for both sides.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Very disappointed that Lynch is gone. I think we're a lot weaker for it, although sadly £200k is about all we could expect in the circumstances.

Quite excited about Thornhill though. He is the first signing this summer that sounds to me like he has genuine quality and has proved it at a higher level. And he comes in our weakest position too. Excellent work.

How anyone can feel that Thornhill is the first signing of quality this summer is beyond me. Tunnicliffe is clearly quality at this level and Stockport were gutted to lose him. Anyone who saw Dicker last season saw his ability. Smith was interesting Scottish Premier League clubs last year for £200K + but of course your ridiculous unquestioned love for Michel Kuipers will no doubt mean you criticise him if he even breathes the wrong way. Crofts and Dickinson have both had bad years but have shown that they ability and Wright played most of MK Dons' games last year (in a team that got to the play offs).

Do you ever get bored of being so negative. I am not getting carried away as I still think top 10 would be good but I definitely think there is a lot more quality in this squad than last year's.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Thanks for looking at every post I make. I am honoured that you are that bothered.
I'm not bothered. I just think you're a f***ing COCK for moaning so often. If there was an ignore function that had the desired affect, I can honestly say you'd be the only person on it.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
The post below by 'Simster' has pretty much answered this well enough already, and it is pretty pathetic that you're accusing me of being negative after I've just PRAISED a new signing.

Anyway, if I must defend myself, let's put it like this. Thornhill is the only signing who has proven he can play at a higher level and, if was offered to championship clubs would be signed up. None of the others would, because if they were capable of that they wouldn't be with us.

On that basis we can never sign a player permanently who is any good because if they were proven quality they would have gone to a Championship side and not us.

Also, you may have praised a new signing but you have slagged off all the rest of them in the process by saying he is the only one with any proven quality. Why not just say he sounds like a quality player or something like that (that would be positive).

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I'm not bothered. I just think you're a f***ing COCK for moaning so often. If there was an ignore function that had the desired affect, I can honestly say you'd be the only person on it.

Nice to know you can have an exchange of views without resorting to abuse. If you think I moan more than anyone on here then you really need a reality check.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Thornhill is the only signing who has proven he can play at a higher level and, if was offered to championship clubs would be signed up. None of the others would, because if they were capable of that they wouldn't be with us.

except Smith who WAS wanted by Scottish Premier League sides (a superior league no matter what you may think of the scots)
and possibly Dickinson who played at Blackpool last season and was wanted (bid for) by Norwich (unquestionably title favourites)
and perhaps Tunnicliffe....speculation, but had higher league clubs sussed that he could be robbed from Stockport someone would probably have grabbed him first

which is all pretty much irrelevant given that this thread appears to have degenerated into the usual tit for tat bollocks :rolleyes:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Well you do have to wonder why some of them have chosen to sign for us. Clearly, right here right now, they're league one players at best. Some of them look to have potential - I've said before the Stockport centre-back sounds promising and will probably be the best of the signings. But others will prove to be mediocre league one players and nothing more. That's just a fact of football sadly. All I'm saying is that in Thornhill we have someone who, right now, could be playing in the championship. No other signing can boast that, so on that basis he's the signing that most impresses me.

That is fine and I agree that Thornhill on the face of it is the one who may have the biggest impact in the short term. I disagree that League One is better than the SPL. Teams like Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen etc would beat Brighton (and most League One teams) more often than we beat them.

All I am saying is give these players a chance and maybe they will surprise you rather than writing them off already (maybe you are not doing that but it does seem sometimes that you are). The key for me is players like Wright, Crofts and Dickinson have all had up and down seasons but have shown their ability before (Crofts was a regular for Gillingham in the Championship a few years ago), have a point to prove and I am confident Russell can get the best out of them.

The interesting comparison is looking at the signing that other sides have made and I would not swap our signings for many teams in the league (with the exceptions of Huddersfield and Norwich possibly).

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
The SPL is tiered thus (IMHO);

Big Two - Premiership standard

3-7 Championship standard

7-10 League 1 standard.

Steve Thomson played for Falkirk who are definitely in the 7-10 category. Graeme Smith played for Motherwell who are in the 3-7 tier. That makes him a Championship quality player in my opinion.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Well, so endeth a sad chapter. When Lynch burst onto the scene he really looked like top quality player, and if Harding was worth £850K and Virgo £1.5million than there's no doubt even in today's market £200K is a poor outcome.

Selling Lynch on the same day as Harding goes to Southampton appears to leave us exposed at left-back, and given Harding was available on a free and training with us its disappointing we didn't sign him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here