Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thornhill signs - Lynch Gone

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Reading the Forest boards it looks like the jury is out on Lynch

"oh christ - I knew somethig bad would happen. Lynch is turd"

........out getting the rope that is :laugh:

most common description of Thornhill on there seems to be "young....has promise....LIGHTWEIGHT" :glare:

I don't view losing Lynch as much of a blow, mainly because RS has presumably known for a while that he'd be going back to Forest so has been planning accordingly.

Disapointed that Thornhill is only until January, was hoping for a season-long loan I hope he doesn't get called back by Forest at the end of the loan.

What we really need now is a left back and a left winger, then I'll be happy.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Based on comments from the Forest fans it seems fair to say that Thornhill is a decent signing, guess thats why they only let us have him for 6 months. would have preferred a season long loan!

And i would say £200,000 (plus £75,000 based on appearances, and 25% sell on clause) for Lynch is pretty reasonable.

Now we need to sign a new left back, another attacking midfielder (left sided), and if Murray goes (which seems likely) another striker is needed.

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
6'1" and 13 stone 10 lbs according to Forest website - we are going to be H-U-G-E!
As for Lynch I once thought that he was a Lawrenson in the making, but his performances and attitude have been disappointing, particularly at LB. By no means a bad day's business IMO. Not sure Forest fans feel the same way.

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
Sounds like a pretty good deal. Thornhill looks a decent player, with experience at a higher level, shame it is only on loan, but still, get him for 5 months.
As for Lynch, i think that is quite a reasonable price for him, and it was always going to happen. so i am pleased he has finally gonw so we can now properly start to shape our team

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
Joel Lynch or Thornhill?

Your probably refering to Thornhill seen as I seem to remember your the one who licks lynch's ass....

Or maybe Lynch who was completely ripped apart by a group of poor league 2 players?:thumbsup:

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Bad deal IMO. Happy Thornhill coming here, but would have liked a perm deal or at least a season loan at worst. £200k plus add-ons seems 100/200k short I think for someone who has so much potential. Positive side though is that a disruptive influence on a new squad is out of the picutre, but unless it's come out of the blue today then why have we been playing him in the friendlies so far ?.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Decent bit of business, again shame we can only get thornhill until january, but hopefully if he's doing well we can extend until may. Lynch looked a good player much of the time, but his attitude, and tendancy to make mistakes let him down. Has a lot of potential, and if he can live up to it could go a long way, and we may well see a decent return from the 25% sell on clause in a couple of years time.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
No loss. We've got plenty of centre-backs and Lynch is lousy on the flank - always got skinned if he was up against a decent winger. Now we can get a proper left-back in to vie with McNulty for the place.

Lynch's attitude was always questionable anyway. Not just in wanting to go, but also in the amount of time he'd spend on the deck or leaving the pitch for treatment. For a guy his size, one of the softest Albion players I can remember. In fact, the softest come to think of it.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I've never seen Thornhill play but he seems to have a good reputation. If he turns out to be a decent little player I wonder what the chances are of extending the loan to a season long one or of buying him? If he's quality and we can't get him for the whole season it seems a bit of a waste.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Not bothered about Lynch. We knew he was going. What surprises me about the signing of Thornhill is when his loan ends. Forest have signed a few players recently, maybe he doesn't fig in their plans? Perhaps we wanted to buy him but were miles apart in valuation. Now if we had him on a season long loan, then we get his services on the cheap with his contract running down, perhaps forcing his valuation down.

With a 6 month loan, if he plays well for us then Forest will be nearer their valuation as we will want him even more, otherwise we are left with a big hole to fill mid way through the season.

Cant see the point in us having him for that short time if he just goes back. Its not as if he is here just to cover injuries is it.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
200k for Lynch is a joke - still thats what we have come to expect!!

Based on what? Unfulfilled promise? Doesn't want to play here, hasn't set the world on fire at Forest. If he ever pulls his socks up and becomes a decent player we get 25%. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

By the way in case you were on holiday DK has gone. You can let go of all that bitterness and look forward to a rosy future.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Maybe the scenario was that Forest wouldn't pay more than 200k for Lynch, but also didn't want to let Thornhill go. Chances are if Lynch knew there was a bid on the table he'd want to be on the move anyway (given past experience), so better to take the cash use the deal as a lever to get them to release Thornhill for 6 months. Maybe we have an option to buy Thornhill in Jan built in somewhere - who knows? That wouldn't be very likely to be public knowledge.

The point is, if Thornhill is as highly rated as people seem to think, then there is some value to that deal too, and so the £200k for Lynch is not the full story.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
What surprises me about the signing of Thornhill is when his loan ends. Forest have signed a few players recently, maybe he doesn't fig in their plans? Perhaps we wanted to buy him but were miles apart in valuation. Now if we had him on a season long loan, then we get his services on the cheap with his contract running down, perhaps forcing his valuation down.

With a 6 month loan, if he plays well for us then Forest will be nearer their valuation as we will want him even more, otherwise we are left with a big hole to fill mid way through the season.

Cant see the point in us having him for that short time if he just goes back. Its not as if he is here just to cover injuries is it.

That's what I don't understand aswell. Having thought about it for a bit the best I can come up with is that Forest are willing to sell but have a fairly high valuation of him. Bloom is willing to pay it BUT only if Thornhill is good enough, so he's given essentially a five month trial.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here