Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thornhill signs - Lynch Gone

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Good deal for Lynch, hasnt shown enough ability on a regular basis to be worth the 500k some seem to think he is.

Think the forest fan on that forum that described him as sometimes showing ability other times not fit for conference football sums Lynch up for me.

As for the length of Thornhill's loan, it probably suited all parties.. Forest probably want him to be a regular and didnt want to commit to letting us have him for the whole season straight away.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I would say that £200k for Lynch isn't enough, If he does progress I can see us being stitched up regarding the 25% sell on as well (a la Zamora). Unless we've got an option to buy Thornhill in January, that's if he's any good, then didn't we learn our lessons about loan players from last year (Dicker and Owusu are obvious exceptions).

Time will tell I suppose, but I do feel a bit underwhelmed by the transaction.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
P.S. Besides which, 200k for a player who has yet to prove himself isn't so bad anyway.
Proved himself at Forest last season imo, was a huge factor in them avoiding relegation.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hmmm. I can't see how a six month loan deal does us any favours before the season has even started. Sure, bring someone in as cover when injuries kick in, but why now? We can't build a team with him in the side because he'll be gone before February. And what message does it send to the players who are actually contracted to *this* club?

Smells like Thicky Adams short termism to me. :(

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
My opinion of Lynch is that he thinks he is better than he is, he thinks he has more time on the ball than he does. If people see that as a "cultured" centre back - or left back, then I am sorry...in my books it isn't.

What about the time where he feigned injury v Blackpool one Sunday in '06 and had to leave the field with nothing obviously wrong with him - other than the fact that he was FCKNG GASH.

Happened to catch last seasons Forest v Derby game too. He was RAPED in the first half. Kept trying stepovers and turns in his own box. Got found out several times. Sky's commentators (that tosspot bloke and Peter Beagrie) crucified him.

Am pretty sure he will go no higher than Champ level...and reckon even by xmas he'll be warming the Forest bench.

He's a lazy, overblown unprofessional cock in my opinion.

DJB1975

Jul 9, 2009
London
Am pretty sure he will go no higher than Champ level...and reckon even by xmas he'll be warming the Forest bench.

He's a lazy, overblown unprofessional cock in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much says it all really.

Thornhill is a great loan :cheers:, Lynch can f*** off :tosser:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My opinion of Lynch is a lower league Ferdinand but without the concentration level of Ferdinand :lol:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I have genuinely stopped caring about whether or not lynch plays for us again, so I'm completely indifferent to him going.

What this deal did make me think as "we're trading a full time player for a 6-month loan player... is that common?" The only other example of that I can think of is the striker from man utd to tottenham as part of the berbatov deal.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What this deal did make me think as "we're trading a full time player for a 6-month loan player... is that common?" .

and 200k, I'm sure we can find a lb/central defender who might actually want to play for us for that much money. Lynch did not, so good riddance imo.

I look at it that we have what sounds like a decent loan player and the money to get a decent back up LB in.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
and 200k, I'm sure we can find a lb/central defender who might actually want to play for us for that much money. Lynch did not, so good riddance imo.

I look at it that we have what sounds like a decent loan player and the money to get a decent back up LB in.

Yeah, but even with the money, is a money + 6month loan player common?

bigbadbonkingbob

Aug 21, 2006
I'm a bit meh about Lynch, we were after Danny Fox from Coventry but were put off by the £3M price tag! Lynch will suffice, but he isn't the greatest left back.

In Matt Thornhill you have got a gem. He's very talented with the ball, he isn't afraid to have a shot from distance, he's got that great knack as a midfielder of making late surges into the box and getting onto the end of whatever's on offer, and he's got loads of attitude - he's no shrinking violet.

If there are criticisms of him it's that I haven't seen much of him in the air and that he has looked a bit lightweight at times, but he's young and he's growing so I'm pretty sure that as he bulks up a bit he'll become plenty strong enough as he's got the attitude to go with it.

Hope he does well for you, although if he continues to develop as we hope there'll be bugger all chance of a permanent deal.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Better rid of him IMO but possibly could have got more. Thornhill sounds decent and maybe as others have said 6 months isn't bad as hopefully we can extend it to a season long loan if he does well, or let him go in Jan if he's pants.

I reckon this season might be like Micky's 1st in charge where a completely new team was assembled with a few cracking results along the way but it may take a season for all the new faces gel effectively to mount a promotion challenge. With one eye on next season I think a serious push for the Championship will happen in 2010/11, plus any new signings next summer will be attracted to the prospect of Falmer which will then only be 1 season away.

Looking forward to Friday and a chance to see some of the new additions.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
My opinion of Lynch is that he thinks he is better than he is, he thinks he has more time on the ball than he does. If people see that as a "cultured" centre back - or left back, then I am sorry...in my books it isn't.

What about the time where he feigned injury v Blackpool one Sunday in '06 and had to leave the field with nothing obviously wrong with him - other than the fact that he was FCKNG GASH.

Happened to catch last seasons Forest v Derby game too. He was RAPED in the first half. Kept trying stepovers and turns in his own box. Got found out several times. Sky's commentators (that tosspot bloke and Peter Beagrie) crucified him.

He's a lazy, overblown unprofessional cock in my opinion.

from what I saw before I left Brighton and heard on the commetaries thats about right but hey we got 200k for him hope he does as well as he thinks he will.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
Hmmm. I can't see how a six month loan deal does us any favours before the season has even started. Sure, bring someone in as cover when injuries kick in, but why now? We can't build a team with him in the side because he'll be gone before February. And what message does it send to the players who are actually contracted to *this* club?

Smells like Thicky Adams short termism to me. :(

I think he'l be a wicked player to have coming off the bench, :drool:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Very disappointed that Lynch is gone. I think we're a lot weaker for it, although sadly £200k is about all we could expect in the circumstances.

Quite excited about Thornhill though. He is the first signing this summer that sounds to me like he has genuine quality and has proved it at a higher level. And he comes in our weakest position too. Excellent work.

The 2nd you forgot Smith our new number 1 goalkeeper hopefully.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here