Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This ref is an absolute ****

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
There was a foul after about 30 seconds and it took over 2 minutes to get the game going again. Just get on with the bloody game!!! :US:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Well I make it 2-0 to Albion if the ref had been even half way competent tonight.

Wrong decision 1: Awarding the very dubious free kick that led to Charltons first goal - compounded by booking the wrong Albion player (I am led to believe)

I don't know for sure, but I don't think Elphick was booked for conceding the free kick, I think he was booked because he lunged in wrecklessly after the freekick had been given.

Wrong decision 3: Denying Albion an obvious penalty 2 minutes into the second half

Is that for the player who had the ball pelted at him from two foot away leaving him no realistic chance of moving his arms out of the way, or for Murray (?) falling over too easily?

Wrong decision 4: Disallowing Albions goal for a push on their 'keeper.

In fairness, a) the whistle went before the ball was in the net. b) this is something that happens in games up and down the country. Keepers come for balls, they don't catch them, they fall to the ground and they get a free kick for it. The ref wasn't, in this instant, anything less than what any other ref does in any other game.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I don't know for sure, but I don't think Elphick was booked for conceding the free kick, I think he was booked because he lunged in wrecklessly after the freekick had been given.

Fair enough on the booking, but it was still a very dubious, soft free kick to have given in the first place

Is that for the player who had the ball pelted at him from two foot away leaving him no realistic chance of moving his arms out of the way, or for Murray (?) falling over too easily?

From where I was sat the defender clearly prevented the cross by use of his hands. That is handball and if in the area, a penalty. If a penalty had been given against us for the same thing, I would not have complained.

In fairness, a) the whistle went before the ball was in the net. b) this is something that happens in games up and down the country. Keepers come for balls, they don't catch them, they fall to the ground and they get a free kick for it. The ref wasn't, in this instant, anything less than what any other ref does in any other game.

Maybe, maybe not, but just because any other ref does the same still doesn't make it right does it. The 'keeper was not fouled so he shouldn't have blown his whistle, ergo the goal should have stood.

Gavin Ward was an incompetent fuckwit tonight. End of story.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Maybe, maybe not, but just because any other ref does the same still doesn't make it right does it. The 'keeper was not fouled so he shouldn't have blown his whistle, ergo the goal should have stood.

I would say if every referee is doing it, it is because the have been told to and isn't a sign of them being a fuckwit, but of being obedient to their bosses.

I agree, it shouldn't be ruled a foul, but it is, quite commonly. This frequent situation is not one for complaining about the ref, but complaining about the rule itself, as referees are instructed to interpret it.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I would say if every referee is doing it, it is because the have been told to and isn't a sign of them being a fuckwit, but of being obedient to their bosses.

I agree, it shouldn't be ruled a foul, but it is, quite commonly. This frequent situation is not one for complaining about the ref, but complaining about the rule itself, as referees are instructed to interpret it.

Okay, point taken, but that still makes him 75% of a fuckwit for the other 3 he got wrong :p

And I still think he was wrong to have awarded the foul on the 'keeper, irrespective of what the FA may instruct ref's on how to interpret things.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The ref was shit. Took far far far far far too long with EVERYTHING, and made a lot of stupid and wrong decisions for both teams.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Agreed, he was, but Charlton deserved to win and we looked bloody awful, still doesn't chnage it though he was a prick!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Agreed, he was, but Charlton deserved to win and we looked bloody awful, still doesn't chnage it though he was a prick!

Like I said, he was shit for both teams, the result was still about right.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There must be some kind of law against the referee holding up the game for a five minute lecture every damn time he puts someone in the book. Totally ridiculous tonight.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Well I thought we were slightly the better side and looked more likely to score up until their first goal. Admittedly we were pretty crap after that though.

PS. My apologies to anyone in the vicinity of D block, S91 who was offended tonight by my rather loud and "colourful" language towards the ref. I kinda lost it.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
One thing is clear, the ref tonight was in NO WAY responsible for our defeat. We were shite in defence as per normal and created absolutely nothing going forward against a poor Charlton team. No one to blame but ourselves.

However, another thing is also clear to me. Tonight's ref is indeed a wanker of the highest order. Petty petty "look at me everybody" refereeing. How many little chats with players does he f***ing want !? Never mind booking two of their players for time wasting - that twat was the biggest time waster on the field and took every opportunity he possible could to break up play and make for the dullest game of football I've seen in a long time. Although to be far, the players, all 22 of them, helped the wanker along in ensuring we all witnessed a truly dire spectacle tonight :angry:

Like I said, he was shit for both teams, the result was still about right.

I'm not sure I agree. I don't think he was shit for them. The key decisions ALL went their way. My Charlton supporting mate said the same thing, although he admitted he couldn't see the handball penalty incident from the away end. He also thought we'd scored in the first half.

However, the ref isn't responsible for Hoyte being out of position YET AGAIN and Smith getting two hands to the first one AND STILL LETTING THE FUCKER IN.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Decent shout for a pen at the start of the 2nd half I thought. Yes it hit his hand at pace from not very far away, but their defender was doing the classic "making himself big" by holding his arms out to block the ball, so its hardly a surprise when thats exactly what happened when we attempted to cross it. That SHOULD be a pen every day and twice on Sunday, but the ref didn't really seem overly fussed about hands all night.

The ref was an utter nobber the whole game though. He clearly operates under the belief that we've all turned up to watch HIM. There was actually a danger of a decent game breaking out tonight, but the ref put paid to that.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
He was an utter disgrace. Hopefully he'll be turning out soon (of a Sunday morning) to officiate a vicious encounter between The Dog & Duck v The Narkie Bastards 11 on Hackney Marshes. Oh, & I bet he leaves in an ambulance well before the end.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Maybe, but he was neither responsible for us defending like spastics OR us failing to get a shot on target.

Class job of not going to teh game if that is your responce, Crofts had a header in side the box ON TARGET

I think it was davis or Murray had a shot that WENT ON TARGET late on too... if your going to comment, turn up to teh game about what your commenting on :thumbsup::facepalm:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
However, the ref isn't responsible for Hoyte being out of position YET AGAIN and Smith getting two hands to the first one AND STILL LETTING THE FUCKER IN.

Smith may well be the worse goal keeper since time began BUT it was a free header and at that range if it isn't straight at you, you're f**ked, I'm suprised he got anything on it. By all means give him sh*t (not sure how that helps) but don't blame him for the inability of the back four.

I note no one has commented on his OUTSTANDING double save in the second half ... however I won't mention the Walton-esce flap at a cross shortly before the STUNNING double save.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here