Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Third test - Pakistan v England, Dubai

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
99 all out may seem rubbish, but we are yet to bat (after last innings shambles 99 may not be gettable) :rolleyes:
Strauss will make 11, and Pietersen will make THREE, and we will make a tidy 133.

I liked this comment on the BBC website:
"When you win the toss and bat you are hoping for your openers to be batting at the end of the day. In fairness you can see that happening."

Well quite.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Monty strikes again.... 78-8.... yet another LBW... Hawkeye/DRS have certainly changed the game for the spinners.

DRS has completely changed test cricket. I'm undecided whether I think its a good thing or not.

Spinners will now be the main wicket takers and Tests are certainly going to be a lot shorter. I also don't think England will win a series in India, Sri Lanka or Pakistan for a very very long time.

I fear it is going to make test cricket massively predictable, England, South Africa and Australia will continue to stuff India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka at home but then get hammered away. It has obviously always been a bit like this but I think DRS will make the situation worse.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
DRS has completely changed test cricket. I'm undecided whether I think its a good thing or not.

Spinners will now be the main wicket takers and Tests are certainly going to be a lot shorter. I also don't think England will win a series in India, Sri Lanka or Pakistan for a very very long time.

I fear it is going to make test cricket massively predictable, England, South Africa and Australia will continue to stuff India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka at home but then get hammered away. It has obviously always been a bit like this but I think DRS will make the situation worse.

or batsmen will adapt their technique, back to proper attritional TEST MATCH cricket, rather than all these T20 shots that have crept in.

I think you are probably right, but I'm not really sure you can 'blame' the DRS for this. What the DRS is doing is ensuring that LBW decisions that always should have been given (but often weren't) are being given. I don't think the DRS can be blamed for spinners hitting the wicket a lot more than they were previously credited for.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked

The thing I dont like being lost is the euphoria of the players celebrating a wicket along with the crowd going nuts, only for it to be completely killed whilst the review takes place. When it is finally given out, its always a muted response.

Loses some of the magic for me

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
or batsmen will adapt their technique, back to proper attritional TEST MATCH cricket, rather than all these T20 shots that have crept in.

Agreed. I don't see how people can complain that bowler's getting wickets they deserve is bad for the game.
People have been saying cricket's getting more batsmen friendly for years, DRS seems to be correcting this.

From a personal perspective low-scoring games do always seem to be more fun

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Quite. Give me a cartwheeling middle stump any day.
Indeed. But such a rare sight, it must be said. Mind you Pietersen is at the crease now so perhaps worth waiting 5 mins for when he decides the time is right to bat completely across the line attempting a slog to the midwicket boundary...

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
FFS Straussy...!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The thing I dont like is the euphoria of the players celebrating a wicket along with the crowd going nuts, only for it to be completely killed whilst the review takes place. When it is finally given out, its always a muted response.

Loses some of the magic for me

Absolutely this. I've never been keen on it to be honest and that's partly why I think I am against technology in football also. Any review will involve a delay no matter how fast the technology is.

I don't see the problem with the odd wrong decision given in football or cricket anyway. They generally do even themselves out over time and it all adds to the drama of what is an entertainment business not an exact science. We've managed perfectly fine without it for years.

Our batsmen do need to improve their technique against spin though, we have always been poor. They just don't have enough practise against top quality spin bowling as they are developing. Obviously our conditions don't help but spin bowling is also not encouraged enough at junior levels. Maybe that will change now.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
And so it begins...... will KP make double figures ....in balls faced ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here