Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Things You Wished You'd Done Years Ago

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
[TWEET]1424810964139008014[/TWEET]

Well then! Thanks for that!

Come on you know how this works. You tell us the Youtube channel, we all sign up and you get some wedge from youtube…simples

Hah, if only! YouTube wised up to people doing that sort of thing many years ago and now tie the 1000 subscriber entry barrier into the partnership program with a certain amount of watch hours as well. Essentially you could have 50 million subscribers but if nobody is actually watching the content you won't see a penny.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
University degree. Doing it in later life meant I missed out on the 'fun' side of Uni but still having to do the work.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I started a YouTube channel in September last year. I'd wanted to before but I never felt like I had the time and finding the time to get it started is one of the only positive things to have come out of this pandemic, personally speaking.

It's just me playing video games and chatting shit but I enjoy it, it's allowing me to flex my long dormant creative muscles a bit and a few weeks ago I hit the 100 subscriber mark which, when I started, seemed a million years away.

It's also shown me I really, really enjoy video editing. To the point that at 36 years old I'm contemplating attempting a career change.

Which games do you play on it, and do you stream on twitch also?

At 36 you've still got 24-30+ damn years of working life left, so deffo take that chance if it's out there.
I'm about 3 years behind you and slowly considering changing careers also.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Think I ballsed up the thread title and wording bit, judging by the responses.

I meant things you HAVE done, and the outcome was so good, you wished you'd done them even sooner.

If we're taking about regrets instead, then mine would be... Get myself a proper education. Maybe if I had, then I'd be able to make myself more clearly understood :blush:

Broke away from the slavery of employment and set up on my own far earlier.

BUT, every cloud, the later timing led to winning fantastic clients who I’d wouldn’t have known years earlier.

MY ADVICE TO TEENS & YOUNG ADULTS:
1. Maximise travel and holidays, fulfil your dreams.
2. Work hard to get better grades at school, college and uni. It’ll save you hassle later on when you might have to readdress academia when you’d rather get on with your life.
3. In a job or career you hate, simply move on.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Hah, if only! YouTube wised up to people doing that sort of thing many years ago and now tie the 1000 subscriber entry barrier into the partnership program with a certain amount of watch hours as well. Essentially you could have 50 million subscribers but if nobody is actually watching the content you won't see a penny.

Won't get any of us watching if you don't tell us what it is :smile:

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
University degree. Doing it in later life meant I missed out on the 'fun' side of Uni but still having to do the work.

Having attempted uni (and ignoring the study part) in my early twenties, and now reattempting uni in my thirties I much prefer it this time round. I'm doing a subject I enjoy and the majority of the work therefore feels far from a chore.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Having attempted uni (and ignoring the study part) in my early twenties, and now reattempting uni in my thirties I much prefer it this time round. I'm doing a subject I enjoy and the majority of the work therefore feels far from a chore.

I'm in a similar boat, early 30's with only GSCE's.
I'd have to do a year of 'catch up' studies before being able to start a degree. But I live literally 200m from the local uni, so I'm running out of excuses.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Which games do you play on it, and do you stream on twitch also?

At 36 you've still got 24-30+ damn years of working life left, so deffo take that chance if it's out there.
I'm about 3 years behind you and slowly considering changing careers also.

I don't stream on Twitch at the moment but I do have plans to.

I play an assortment of games, really just whatever I fancy at any given time. Currently going through Death's Door which is great fun and today I've recorded a few episodes of a hidden object horror game. I've also played some point and click games and card builders. I played a lot of a spaceship management game called Space Haven.

The job thing is a recent idea based entirely on those numbers there. Do I really want to spend the next 30 years of my life doing what I'm doing? Not really!

Won't get any of us watching if you don't tell us what it is :smile:

Good point! You can find me here - https://www.youtube.com/c/EightHourGamer

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Carried on doing stand-up. I was ok back in the 90's. I only had me head flushed down the toilet at clubs a few times.

But seriously, I look at w****rs like Russell **** Howard and think to myself. If he can do it, an amoeba like myself could have
if I'd persevered.

Not that I'm resentful mind.

I know what you mean. I had the misfortune of seeing Russell **** Howard live at the O2 (free ticket, surely he must have something?) and I can honestly say that I did not laugh once. I was baffled why anyone else was....

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
I'm in a similar boat, early 30's with only GSCE's.
I'd have to do a year of 'catch up' studies before being able to start a degree. But I live literally 200m from the local uni, so I'm running out of excuses.

Lots of great institutions in BC! Wishing you luck in it.

I'm currently also around 200m from the uni. However, moving province (and university) in September, and will be an hour's drive away. Thankfully the majority of modules are online and I will only actually have to drive into Ottawa once a week!

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017

I'm doing the same course I wanted to do (I'm in my forties), I really enjoy it but I think I would've at the time as well. My study habits and doing everything last minute doesn't seem to have changed since my A levels (I have tried). If there's a 12pm deadline, I'll be referencing at 10am & submitting it at 11.59am. :blush:

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I wish I'd Learnt how to read music and play bass guitar, then joined a band, local or international supergroup, don't mind either.
:rock:

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
When I turned 39 I decided I would sort myself out and get fit by the time I turned 40.

I was 18 stone on my 39th birthday and I was 12 stone by the time I turned 40.

I have managed to continue with this healthy life style for nearly 5 years now.

I feel so much better and fitter. I wish I had done it years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here