Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Things You Wished You'd Done Years Ago

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I just decided in my head that I was going to live a healthy lifestyle.

I bought a second hand running machine and use it every day for a year. I could only manage 15 mins per day at first, but got up to 45 mins per day within a few months.

I decided that I would have 3 healthy, normal size meals per day and cut out ALL of the snacks.

I have cereal for breakfast, salad or pasta salad for lunch and fish / meat with veg in the evening.

I still have the occasional treat / unhealthy meal, normally a family get together out meeting up with friends.

Luckily I don't really drink alcohol, so did not have to cut it down or out.

I still exercise 4 mornings a week for around 40 mins and I stick to my healthy eating.

I hover around the 11 and a half stone mark now and have gone from a size 42 inch waist to a 32 inch waist.

I also suffered very badly with an anxiety disorder for around 10 years. My anxiety pretty much disappeared with 6 months of changing my lifestyle. I put this down to exercise.

We all know what is good for us and we all know what is bad for us. It is having the willpower to implement it and stick to it.

A unhealthy lifestyle is a habit, Luckily a healthy lifestyle is also a habit.

Good luck to your friend.

Lovely story, well done [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Two things…
Found the current Mrs M
Learned to play guitar

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Settled down. Me and the Mrs-to-be have been together over 6yrs now and it's still going great. When I look back at my slaggy past, it got me nowhere and I wasted so much time instead of building a healthy relationship and a lovely home.
And education. I hated school and pretty much wasn't interested throughout, but it turns out I'm actually a pretty smart cookie when I put my mind to it and I retain information really well. Who knows what I could've done with my life if I had bothered giving it a go when I was younger.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yeah, I'd go for this. It's particularly hard in Wales as there are so many people with the same time. I'm looking for my g-grandfather's parents and you wouldn't believe how many David Thomases there are. I remember my g-grandad but I never thought to ask him about his family.

Did he have a stammer too?

:). Sorry!

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Planned and had a focus. It's probably a bit of midlife crisis but feel a bit in limbo now - do alright at work, have a stable family life and lots of things to be grateful for, but also no real direction except "more of the same". I'm currently trying to plan where I want to get to as I can't imagine doing the job I'm doing for another 20 years until I retire, but can't afford not to so the scope feels very narrow. So I wish 15 - 20 years ago, before commitments of family and mortgage and everything else I'd stopped for 5 seconds and thought about a bit of a life-plan when the options would have been much wider and more exciting than they are now.

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
Seen the Beatles in their early days. I could have seen them when they came to my hometown (Plymouth) when in my teens.

Saw Ringo Starr with his band decades later in the Dominican Republic which was great but just reminded me of my loss!

Also wish I’d been a bit nicer to some of my girlfriends in my youth. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Planned and had a focus. It's probably a bit of midlife crisis but feel a bit in limbo now - do alright at work, have a stable family life and lots of things to be grateful for, but also no real direction except "more of the same". I'm currently trying to plan where I want to get to as I can't imagine doing the job I'm doing for another 20 years until I retire, but can't afford not to so the scope feels very narrow. So I wish 15 - 20 years ago, before commitments of family and mortgage and everything else I'd stopped for 5 seconds and thought about a bit of a life-plan when the options would have been much wider and more exciting than they are now.

I think the problem is that unless you are extremely lucky any career path in the end will lack variety and become more of the same. I was an A-level maths teacher until I was 30. I did take the 5 seconds you mention and did a masters in mechanical engineering. I’m now a fire engineer, which while an interesting job I doubt it will be hugely different in 25 years time.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Wish I'd foreseen how narrow the choices get as you get older. Across the board. Women, work, social opportunities. I would have made some different choices in my 30's for sure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here