Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things you hate about driving in the UK

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
People who drive in the UK pay huge sums of cash to drive on such glorious roads as the A23, M25, M1, M4 etc... But unfortunately our driving pleasure is hampered by drivers from all walks of life who seem to have forgot the basics of driving an automobile!

What really "grinds your gears" about the way people drive on our roads, I'll kick off by starting with people who turn there rear fog light on as soon as it gets a little misty, blinding anyone who is behind them! :annoyed:

Vent away people!

Can be a retaliatory ploy to the tailgating cock with blinding headlamps.

I would add middle and outer lane hogs when the lanes to their left are empty.
Typically this is on the A23 north bound.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
On rural a roads, people who drive so slowly for miles thwarting your progress and then do a mansell on the one straight safe stretch that appears for the first time in 234.8 miles so you can't overtake them (usually at that point, despite no traffic passing you the other way for 6hrs, there is ALWAYS a car coming the other way on aforementioned safe bit - and it's another 74 miles until another safe stretch occurs....and then the 2nd car of the day coming the other way will suddenly appear! I am convinced councils employ people as "oncoming traffic" to wait around safe overtaking areas on rural roads and pop out just as I'm coming along in order to prolong my frustration / tailgating Miss Marple in front).

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
People who drive right up your arse with no intention of overtaking you.

This - especially on motorways when there's no traffic like in middle of night. What's all that about?!

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
People that take up two parking spaces with their car in busy car parks. Their cars (Most of the time 4x4s) are far too important to be parked close to the rest of the plebs who only use one space.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
People who can't drive their vehicle through a gap that's more than a foot wider then their vehicle.
Had to double park a Luton van helping some friends move and a succession of people in tiny cars hooted and complained before finally being cajoled through at snails pace.
Shortly after a truck sailed through without even lifting.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This - especially on motorways when there's no traffic like in middle of night. What's all that about?!

I think some people are inherently lazy, nudging up behind someone else means they can switch off most of their concentration and just watch for the car in front's brake lights.

SeagullSarge

Jul 8, 2012
As a man that drives 30K + per year I hate 90% of other drivers!
The list in no real order is -
To fast, to slow, undertakers, middle lane hoggers, people from Croydon, old people, learner drivers, more people from Croydon, white van men, people who slam on the brakes for no reason on the motorway or dual carriage ways, people who cut out, people who cut in, lorry's who try to overtake up hills, lorry's who pull out suddenly in front of you, people who don't queue properly...

I'm going to have a cuppa to calm down just thinking about idiots makes me stressed!

I might look for a different job at the same time

Comprehensive!

seagull 1979

Praying for points
Aug 29, 2011
Bicester
:bowdown::bowdown::lolol::lolol:
On rural a roads, people who drive so slowly for miles thwarting your progress and then do a mansell on the one straight safe stretch that appears for the first time in 234.8 miles so you can't overtake them (usually at that point, despite no traffic passing you the other way for 6hrs, there is ALWAYS a car coming the other way on aforementioned safe bit - and it's another 74 miles until another safe stretch occurs....and then the 2nd car of the day coming the other way will suddenly appear! I am convinced councils employ people as "oncoming traffic" to wait around safe overtaking areas on rural roads and pop out just as I'm coming along in order to prolong my frustration / tailgating Miss Marple in front).

brilliant :lolol:

SeagullSarge

Jul 8, 2012
People who don't use the slip road to fully match the speed of the traffic on the road they are joining!

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Numptys who can't keep to their lane on a roundabout, if they are going straight on and you are turning right on a double lane roundabout. You can be alongside and they still drift into your lane or staightline it altogether. Most of them don't even realise you're there, blind c***s.

People who pull out in front of you and then drive slowly.

Its seems the done thing up here, to poke your car out at least a foot or more into the main road when waiting to join from the left at a T-Junction.

The welsh (opps sorry, thats a different thread!!)

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Just the sheer volume of complete morons who seem to lack any concept of there ever being other road users to take into consideration. Oh, & sodding rubberneckers who cause near pile-ups, just so they can have a good GAWP before lurching off down the carriageway at high speed.

I could go on all night tbh. :annoyed:

SeagullSarge

Jul 8, 2012
537433-older-driver.jpg

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
People who don't use the slip road to fully match the speed of the traffic on the road they are joining!

Good one.

More than once I have judged a driver in front to be one of these after sitting behind them for a few miles. Now if I can spot them I actually stop 100 metres from the exit, I allow myself a smug smile when I see the brake lights come on and let them dangerously pull out onto a 70mph road from a standing start. I then use the 100 metres to get up to speed before pulling out.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I f***ing HATE it when stuck in slow traffic and some MONGOLOID in front decides that even though he has the right of way, he's going to be NICE and let the driver queuing on the other side of the road opposite him get out and pass by instead. Then of course every other car behind does the same thing meaning that despite being on the side of the road where we have right of way, I am stuck watching a stream of cars pass by on MY side of the road just because DONNY DICKWAD decided he's in no hurry so why not allow other cars out and hold up all the traffic behind him instead. You might be doing the car in front of you a favour, but you're f***ing it up for EVERYONE behind you. It's a nice idea to try and play the considerate driver BUT ONLY if you're doing it on your own time. When there's already a massive queue of traffic, don't hold it up further to give yourself a smug satisfied glow at allowing somebody else to pass WHEN IT'S YOUR RIGHT OF WAY.

I'll tell you what else really GRINDS MY GEARS too. Massive great trucks trying to get through Ditchling village. THERE JUST ISN'T ROOM. Now f*** off to the A road

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
That we never changed to driving on the right in the 50's.Now it's hair-raising driving abroad.Unless we can get everybody else to change,of course.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
40mph freaks, those who drive at 40 thinking they are being sensible, whether its the open road or the 30 zone in town.

This! They drive at 40 in a 50 zone and then continue at 40 when the speed limit changes to 30. Absolute morons who should not be allowed out in a car as they have clearly not learned how to read road signs.

And those that undertake and weave on motorways. Do they realise just how dangerous this activity is?

And idiotic lorry/van drivers who are unable to secure their loads properly.

That is all. For now!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here