Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things you hate about driving in the UK

Drivers who, in a slow moving queue of traffic leaving a roundabout, insist on leaving a 75 yard gap between themselves and the slow moving car in front of them. This just causes the tailback to extend backwards to the roundabout - causing quite unnecessary queues to build up on ALL of the approach roads to that roundabout and frustrate motorists who would otherwise be able to get through without being slowed up at all.

SeagullSarge

Jul 8, 2012
The inevitable disappointment you get when you see yourself catching up with a Honda Jazz/Hyundai I10/Hyundai AtoZ/any car with a national trust sticker, on a long single carriageway country road with no chance of overtaking for miles!

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
People who don't use the slip road to fully match the speed of the traffic on the road they are joining!

This - with nobs on. Overcautious drivers joining Dual Carriageways (like the A14 which I have to use virtually every day) at around 30mph because they're being "careful" are a daily liability. It causes chaos on the main road as well as winding up others who are trying to join with them.

Another over-cautious one is people who sit behind tractors on country roads with massive queues behind them and don't take the chance to overtake when it is abundantly safe to do so - holding up everyone instead of people being able to safely get past.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Numptys who can't keep to their lane on a roundabout, if they are going straight on and you are turning right on a double lane roundabout. You can be alongside and they still drift into your lane or staightline it altogether. Most of them don't even realise you're there, blind c***s.

Absolutely this.

Especially dangerous as I am a motorbike rider and therefore seemingly invisible to all other road users despite being covered in high vis and reflective stripes and riding a white motorbike with the worlds brightest headlight.

Basically all other road users seem to be constantly out to kill you if you are only on two wheels, so you learn to accept bad driving and ride defensively to avoid being knocked off.

Overall the woeful standard of observation on the roads is what hacks me off the most.

Dec 29, 2011
Anyone here use the Dyke Road Brighton exit in the mornings?

There's a double junction coming out from Woodland drive, and there's an unwritten but blatantly obvious "let one out" policy going on. It's brilliant because it negates the need for traffic lights there, and it works brilliantly - this is something I LIKE about UK driving because I doubt it would happen in any other country. However there are a handful of wankers (usually in BMW's or Volvo's) who completely ignore this unwritten rule, and I know they're aware of it because I've seen the same people do it more than once. Wankers!

I find 90% of people do the "let one out" rule, and I agree, I like the sentiment. On that same junction, do you get pissed off at people who go straight on and turn left to the roadabout just to overtake the people who veered off left? It's hard to explain but I hope you understand. I was thinking about it today because I managed to jump three cars by going straight ahead and turning left, rather than veering left and taking the left.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The god damn f***ing school run.

That white line down the middle of the road-it means stay your f***ing side of it Mrs (sadly, usually females who have no idea what the line means).

Twats who enter box junctions when they shouldn't and contribute to massive delays for everybody.

People who don't understand that if there is a car parked on their side of the road they do not have right of way and it isn't ok to drive at me head on, (sorry girls, it's usually a woman).

Women texting as they sit at a red light and any idiot using a hand held phone.

Did I mention The god damn f***ing school run?

There's more but I need a lie down.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Audi drivers-without exception (male or female) worse than any BMW drivers. Ignorant, aggressive.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
people leaving a MAHOOOOOSIVE gap between them and the car in front when stuck in traffic, red lights, railway crossings etc. f*cks me right off.
old drivers
young drivers
learner drivers
people that have no idea how to park (usually the three above)
another vote for the 'i only do 40 everywhere as its safer' crew
chelsea tractors, you dont need one, you cant park it or drive it properly, f*ck off and buy a smart car
smart car drivers
people that pull out/cut in then slow to a crawl
people who think they can park anywhere, but its okay if they stick their hazard lights on
and generally people that have no idea how to drive on main roads. This encapsulates the whole joining the road, lane discipline, exiting safely, speed limits, THE LOT. W4NKERS, ALL OF THEM!

i need to go and lie down :(

Last edited:

brightonbaz

Feb 22, 2009
Drivers in the middle lane of the motorway who are too frightened to pull in to the fast lane to enable you to pull into the middle lane to overtake a car in the slow lane

My biggest pet hate are twats with the front fogs on and no fog.......they are right f*** wits

Dec 18, 2003
Haywards Heath
Drivers who undertake on the motorway. Drivers who sit in the middle lane of the motorway despite nothing being in the slow lane.[/QUOTE said:
The first point causes the second! I undertake regularly, I know it's not right but nether is sitting in the middle lane when lane one is free. KEEP LEFT!! FFS!! You muppets!

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Drivers sitting in the middle lane on motor way when it's clear on the inside lane? Also lorries overtaking in the outside lane up hills should be banned ?:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Traffic light jumpers.

Woodingdean crossroads before the re design is a case in point.

Coming from warren way and trying to turn right up Falmer rd. people coming from the racehill never let you across. Then the lights turn red and another 3 cars come through still leaving you on the middle of the junction when the other direction have gone green. It still happens now even with the filter light:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Not only that junction either, it happens a lot everywhere. ALL junctions should have cameras on to stop this behaviour.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
I must get hold of the motorcycle Highway Code - you know the one which allows them to travel at any speed whenever and wherever they want; and also allows them to cross double (or single) white lines. I realise they are more vulnerable than 4 wheeled vehicles, but some do not help the rest and are dangerous total w*nkers, they are all "organ Donors".

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I must get hold of the motorcycle Highway Code - you know the one which allows them to travel at any speed whenever and wherever they want; and also allows them to cross double (or single) white lines. I realise they are more vulnerable than 4 wheeled vehicles, but some do not help the rest and are dangerous total w*nkers, they are all "organ Donors".

This. I don't want to lump all motorcyclists into the same category but a lot of them give the others a bad name. The ones that go past you on the inside on a motorway, sometimes even forcing you to move over because they are between cars, IDIOTS. As you say, when they cross over the middle line on a single carriageway and you have to move over to avoid them, this royally pisses me off.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Not so much hate as puzzles me, when I am on the motorway doing about 70 and overtaking lorries so I am in the middle lane with the outside lane empty and someone comes up behind and sits on my arse , not overtaking. then when I'm past the lorries and pull in to the left lane they go barrelling past still in the middle lane. It's like they're afraid of the outside lane.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here