Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thicky Adams

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Exactly, like Mullery before him his second return showed that without a decent budget he was not up to much. I've seen quite a few Albion teams and I reckon that the current team would give the team that came down from the old First Divison a run for it's money and I would be certain it would beat either Adams or Taylor (the second) teams.

Do you honestly feel the current team would do well against the likes of Connor, Robinson, Smith, Case, Foster, Stevens, Grealish, Howlett, Gatting, Ryan, Pearce and Mosely?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Problem with Adams is, unless he can sign players he's familiar with, he's not really that clued up to succeed, and I think history shows it.

As much as he was a legend here the first time round, he was a complete disater second time. The difference is he had the best budget in the division with us, and hand picked from his old Fulham squad, and Brentford squad.

Pretty much every other job he's had has ended in disaster, and it looks like Sheffield United are the latest to fail under him.

This.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Adams was assistant manager for the first season at Leicester, and took over in April, so I think it is unfair to blame him for relegation.

As for promotion with a zero playing budget, last season Hull, Burnley and Portsmouth were all relegated, yet they are not in the frame for promotion, so I think you are being harsh on MA.

Getting back to the OP, I think to call him 'Thicky Adams' is out of order.

I agree re the thicky Adams remark being out of order.

It is also starting to look like I thought Adams was shit 1st time around which is definitely not the case. I actually thought he did a very good job but for reasons mentioned in my posts on this thread I never really warmed to him and he is not a legend in my eyes. We were good for each other 1st time around. I guess I never felt that he was proud to be the Albion manager.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Both Wednesday and United seriously under performing at present.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Who has actually said we were a one man team? Does anyone not believe that Zamora was the difference between us being an OK team and a very good one? Which of our other strikers was up to leading the line?

Zamora was a fantastic signing, and MA developed a style of play that worked to his strengths. Why can't you give him some credit for that?

I have not called him a 'legend' or anything of a similar nature, but there is a lot of revisionism on NSC IMO. We have had some very good managers in the last ten years, in the likes of Adams, Taylor, Coppell (despite getting us relegated), McGhee and Gus, and some reasonable ones in Wilkins, Slade. The only out and out disaster was Hinshelwood, but he was stiffed by the board and having Bobby injured IMO. Compared to most clubs, we have been extremely lucky, Gary Megson anyone?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I agree re the thicky Adams remark being out of order.

It is also starting to look like I thought Adams was shit 1st time around which is definitely not the case. I actually thought he did a very good job but for reasons mentioned in my posts on this thread I never really warmed to him and he is not a legend in my eyes. We were good for each other 1st time around.

I think the word 'legend' is thrown about far too easily. As for his tactical nous, I think Gus is far better, in the sense that we actually have a system and the commitment to the technical side of our game is greater than at any time since I have been watching the Albion. I know Tippy Tappy is not for everyone, but we could have had 7 or 8 yesterday, and it was great to be there.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Rule 1. Never go back. Rule 2. Never manage you boyhood team, it can only end in tears. As it will in this case(hope im wrong). Micky got the job on the back of turning Port Vale around. This I feel is his true level, good manager in Div 2 but anything above that has ended in faliure.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I know Tippy Tappy is not for everyone, but we could have had 7 or 8 yesterday, and it was great to be there.

Tippy tappy is the way Arsenal and Spain play, long live tippy tappy and using the goalkeeper as an outfield player when needed. There has never been a better time to follow the Albion. It may not last long and history would suggest a couple of years at best, but I am loving it.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Tippy tappy is the way Arsenal and Spain play, long live tippy tappy and using the goalkeeper as an outfield player when needed. There has never been a better time to follow the Albion. It may not last long and history would suggest a couple of years at best, but I am loving it.

I think what sets Gus apart is that we can play the passing game that is horribly referred to as tippy tappy but we're not restricted to it and can change to effective route one when we need to also. The man is a feckin genius and already a true legend for me, whatever happens this season and beyond he has given me the pleasure of seeing a Brighton side play the beautiful game, well, beautifully.

Back to MA, although I don't think he's the legend some do he should be given some credit and I'll never forget marching with him at one of the Falmer marches.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It may not last long and history would suggest a couple of years at best, but I am loving it.

I'm with you 100% here, those who were booing Gus and the team earlier this season at Withdean for the passing style will we wondering what hits them when we end up with the likes of Phil Brown or Gary Megson in charge in 2 or 3 years.

Twelve months ago we were still in the bottom four of League 1, and our home record was 2 wins and 10 defeats.

We've come a long, long way in a year, this season 9 wins and 0 defeats, but some still take great relish in finding fault with individuals at the earliest opportunity.

The Gus Bus ride won't last forever, so make the most of the journey whilst we have it.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
I'm with you 100% here, those who were booing Gus and the team earlier this season at Withdean for the passing style will we wondering what hits them when we end up with the likes of Phil Brown or Gary Megson in charge in 2 or 3 years.
I would like to think that when Gus does move on, TB wouldn't touch the likes of Brown or Megson with a 'bargepole', but would appoint someone who could carry on Gus's progress in the same style that he has done so far.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I would like to think that when Gus does move on, TB wouldn't touch the likes of Brown or Megson with a 'bargepole', but would appoint someone who could carry on Gus's progress in the same style that he has done so far.

I hope you are right.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Plenty of managers have had a big fat budget to spend and still managed to f*** things up comprehensively by buying the wrong players, or being unable to manage them as a unit. Adams deserves credit for what he did first time round, especially as it felt like breathing fresh air after the suffocating confinement of the worst years in the club's history. And that team, while certainly not of the standard of the current crop, played some football which was attractive to watch and way too good for the division we were in. I simply don't understand why people are so happy to have a pop at people who have achieved good things with this club.

He made a mistake in coming back for what I suspect were sentimental reasons, which suggests to me he did have some affection for the club. I think we should forgive him that and remember how good that feeling was of lifting a pot for the first time since the bloody fifties.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven

Icy has nailed it.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
No one actually did that. A few idiots shouted out things like "get it forward" etc. No one booed when we were passing it. Some booed when we drew with FCUM, probbaly more because we were awful than because of the style of football.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Simply put Sheff Utd resigned themselves to League One footy the day Adams took charge. It really is that simple.

The guy is a dinosaur. His style worked well when he was with us the first time but football has moved on and regrettably he hasnt as his 2nd period showed.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Granted Adam's didn't do well 2nd time around but FFS people are so fickle - the man's an Albion legend and always will be. I still consider it him that won us BOTH championships - apart from Junior Lewis I can't recall a Taylor transfer that improved our Div 2 winning team...

Remember what he did for us people - and rmeember that when we played Leicester away and they got promoted, the first thing he did was run over to the Albion fans and applaud - fecking short memories some of you.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No one actually did that. A few idiots shouted out things like "get it forward" etc. No one booed when we were passing it. Some booed when we drew with FCUM, probbaly more because we were awful than because of the style of football.

I definitely heard some boos at home against B'Muff.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
. I still consider it him that won us BOTH championships - apart from Junior Lewis I can't recall a Taylor transfer that improved our Div 2 winning team...
QUOTE]

Although Junior Lewis was a good signing, it was the change in tactics that won us a title against teams with better players. There is no point in arguing the toss this far down the line but much like you feel Adams isn't getting enough credit I feel Taylor doesn't get the credit he deserves for taking a team that had come up from the 4th division to the 3rd division title. He took over after, what 6 games? How can Adams then be given the credit on 44 game league season? It's like saying Adams kept us up 2nd time around because Slade took over Adams team, when in reality, we would have got relegated if Adams hadn't got the boot

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
. I still consider it him that won us BOTH championships - apart from Junior Lewis I can't recall a Taylor transfer that improved our Div 2 winning team...
QUOTE]

Although Junior Lewis was a good signing, it was the change in tactics that won us a title against teams with better players. There is no point in arguing the toss this far down the line but much like you feel Adams isn't getting enough credit I feel Taylor doesn't get the credit he deserves for taking a team that had come up from the 4th division to the 3rd division title. He took over after, what 6 games? How can Adams then be given the credit on 44 game league season? It's like saying Adams kept us up 2nd time around because Slade took over Adams team, when in reality, we would have got relegated if Adams hadn't got the boot

I must be wrong cos I thought he took over after like 15 games or so so apologies if i'm wrong. It was a while ago now and I couldn't really comment on the tatics from memory!

I do feel the nucleus of the squad was all Adam's hard work though... no in fact I think that's pretty much a fact!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here