Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thicky Adams

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
. I still consider it him that won us BOTH championships - apart from Junior Lewis I can't recall a Taylor transfer that improved our Div 2 winning team...
QUOTE]

Although Junior Lewis was a good signing, it was the change in tactics that won us a title against teams with better players. There is no point in arguing the toss this far down the line but much like you feel Adams isn't getting enough credit I feel Taylor doesn't get the credit he deserves for taking a team that had come up from the 4th division to the 3rd division title. He took over after, what 6 games? How can Adams then be given the credit on 44 game league season? It's like saying Adams kept us up 2nd time around because Slade took over Adams team, when in reality, we would have got relegated if Adams hadn't got the boot

1. Taylor took over after 13 games that season. I think he did make a tactical change to us that season, and played a major part in our back to back titles.

2. I think that Adams had bad luck in that Nicky Forster and Glenn Murray were both injured and only started 26 and 18 games respectively. Just as you rightly said we may have struggled to be promoted under Adams without Zamora, I suspect we would have done significantly better if our front pair had been fit for the vast majority of the season.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Really quite fed up listening to this right now. I had a bunch of know it alls behind me on Tuesday night slagging off Cox and Whing every time they went near the ball and I really don't know what they get out of this.

I can only assume that during the first Adams era some of the detractors on this thread were more interested in playing with their Power Rangers than in watching the football. It may not always have been pretty, but the cry of "Let's have a winner" from the back were echoed all over the pitch, as we had a team full of winners. It was never about Zamora plus ten.

The squad of 2011 have the potential to exceed the achievements of a decade ago, but in a show of medals right now there are only one set of winners!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I was staggered on Tuesday at the person at Orient who bellowed 'Brighton Reject' at Revell and Cox a few times in the first half. I think the total lack of support he had for this eventually trickled through to his little brain and he stopped.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe I'm alone in finding this f***ing disrespectful from a manager who was given the resources Adams had been given by Dick Knight. I have no problem with an ambitious manager but to tout yourself like he did, and go on record as saying he wants a better job, is pretty piss poor imo

League Managers Association

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
No one actually did that. A few idiots shouted out things like "get it forward" etc. No one booed when we were passing it. Some booed when we drew with FCUM, probbaly more because we were awful than because of the style of football.
They did I can assure you!

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Why would anyone heap such disrespectful abuse on MA, he put a lot into the club and was a bloody good manager, I was very uneasy when he came back as he seemed to be a completely different manager and I don't think in truth he was that comfortable coming back considering how badly Wilkins had been treated. I thought his career might be over but he took over at P Vale and did a bloody good job, he was offered job at Sheff U and has not been able to turn it around yet, he has been there 6 games and I really hope he turns it around. All these people slagging him off, what have you achieved? if you have achieved half as much as him then you must be highly successful. Adams is part of this clubs history and he will always have my respect and goodwill.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
lest we forget he put together the finest team I have seen play for Brighton.

Have you not been this season then?

Whilst I agree there is no need or reason for absuing MA, I think our current side is much, much better.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I was staggered on Tuesday at the person at Orient who bellowed 'Brighton Reject' at Revell and Cox a few times in the first half. I think the total lack of support he had for this eventually trickled through to his little brain and he stopped.

Good. I think a little respect is due to anyone who has had the talent to pull on the shirt.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Really quite fed up listening to this right now. I had a bunch of know it alls behind me on Tuesday night slagging off Cox and Whing every time they went near the ball and I really don't know what they get out of this.

I can only assume that during the first Adams era some of the detractors on this thread were more interested in playing with their Power Rangers than in watching the football. It may not always have been pretty, but the cry of "Let's have a winner" from the back were echoed all over the pitch, as we had a team full of winners. It was never about Zamora plus ten.

The squad of 2011 have the potential to exceed the achievements of a decade ago, but in a show of medals right now there are only one set of winners!

Good post - 100% spot on.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location

Sounds like an absolute idiot. Hammond, yes. Cox, Whing and Revell - disgraceful.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Why would anyone heap such disrespectful abuse on MA, he put a lot into the club and was a bloody good manager, I was very uneasy when he came back as he seemed to be a completely different manager and I don't think in truth he was that comfortable coming back considering how badly Wilkins had been treated. I thought his career might be over but he took over at P Vale and did a bloody good job, he was offered job at Sheff U and has not been able to turn it around yet, he has been there 6 games and I really hope he turns it around. All these people slagging him off, what have you achieved? if you have achieved half as much as him then you must be highly successful. Adams is part of this clubs history and he will always have my respect and goodwill.

Another good post, spot on.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Do you honestly feel the current team would do well against the likes of Connor, Robinson, Smith, Case, Foster, Stevens, Grealish, Howlett, Gatting, Ryan, Pearce and Mosely?

The current team would do well as most of those mentioned are about 50 years old now.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Indeed. The reason Palace will stay up this season is they have a few decent players. They got lucky with Vaughan as Everton couldn't loan him anywhere EXCEPT back to Palace even though they wanted to. It's a shame, but cheats do prosper.

Not true, Everton played him for the last 15 minutes against Liverpool which meant he can't join another club outside of England. Any club could of loaned him but ultimately he wanted to come back.

I sincerely hope Sheff Utd stick with Adams, he's doing a great job IMO. Our next home game is against them, I'm pretty sure we only need 1 more clean sheet to beat our record of 12 hours at home without conceding!

GAZTASTIC

Sep 17, 2010
HOVE - JUST
The problem is he does appear to be out of his depth and it looks like the Blades board are starting to realise it. Should have stayed at Port Vale...

Sheffield United boss Micky Adams his fighting to save his job after only seven games in charge at Bramall Lane.
Full story: Daily Mirror

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Sounds like an absolute idiot. Hammond & Revell yes. Cox, Whing - disgraceful.

Edited. Anyone who was at Southend and saw Revells two footed "challenge" on Kuipers early in the first half will know that there as real MALICE in that tackle.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I just don't get people rejoicing in the fact that Adams is struggling.

He's not a legend in my eyes, I never really found him the most likeable of characters even in his first spell.

BUT remember where we were when he came along - our club was coming out of season after season of crap and he changed all that and made us proud of our team again.

So I will never get any Schadenfreude from his difficulties.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
One must not forget that without Zamora we were not that good.

disagree, Zamora was the icing and cherry on top of quite a tasty cake. Watson, Cullip, Morgan, Carpenter, Brooker, Hart (in his prime)... were some quality players around to supply the ammunition and keep the goals out at the other end. he knew many from before and picked the best he'd worked with, as already said.

what we see now is he is tactically out of his depth, as he was when he was here in the second spell. not sure how he managed to get Leicester up.

Last edited:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
thanks thicky

Sorry Vulture but you have 'footballing alzheimers', regardless of what happened in his second spell,what he achieved from 99-01 help turn the Albion back, with Dick Knight and others, into a football club from the joke that it was in the Archer years, if you cant acknowledge that should you be sitting at the Amex?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here