Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Theresa May BLAH BLAH BLAH!!

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
*** awaits the standard student paranoia that the ALL the press are run by the government and so of course they wouldn't show the police being violent ***

You ironically said it right there, media biased, show you what they want you to see. You'll see more truthful accounts i imagine on youtube from peoples phones.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Very good. Now that we've got that out of the way, are you suggesting the structural deficit we are left with was caused by the global banking crisis, or will you actually admit it was caused by gross fiscal mismangement by one (one-eyed) man and his army of clueless pillocks?

Of course its not like de-regulation meant the next government had a group of banks doing what ever they wanted without enough regulation.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
No, I agree, I wasn't there but given I've seen TV pictures from ITV, Sky and the BBC and seen numerous photos in the press covering all the political spectrum I think it's fair to conclude that the protesters were the far more violent group and that the police were very restrained considering.

*** awaits the standard student paranoia that the ALL the press are run by the government and so of course they wouldn't show the police being violent ***

I watched most of the coverage live. When the first lot of protestors were let into Parliament Square they made a rush towards Parliament and started fighting the police line with the barriers being thrown and lines being tested. There was no containment at this stage, but still a good few hunderend were intent on fighting.

Eventually they got bored because the police weren't pushing they back so they decided to move off somewhere else. Strangely those that were fighting decided that they wanted to move off in complttely the opposite direction to where the rally was going to take place. That's when they decided to contain the situation as it was clear that they were intent on causing trouble, not making peaceful protest.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And there was me thinking that it was a GLOBAL economic crisis and it was in fact the UK's Labour party that was leading europe out of the recession. :jester:

psst .... care to explain the £10bn we borrowed in September ..... then again in October ..... and yet again in November ? It sure as hell isn't to bail out the banks !

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Of course it's a global problem and other countries are in a worse state than we are.

But we are also in a worse state than other coutries due to the last reigme not monitoring the way in which money was being spent and just blatantly overspending.

Labour would have made huge cuts be in different areas or would have raised taxes.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
You ironically said it right there, media biased, show you what they want you to see. You'll see more truthful accounts i imagine on youtube from peoples phones.

Idiot .... there's loads of stories each year in the press of police violence. So just for this one cause all the press organisations decide to club together and show none ???

Strewth :facepalm:

Last edited:

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Of course it's a global problem and other countries are in a worse state than we are.

But we are also in a worse state than other coutries due to the last reigme not monitoring the way in which money was being spent and just blatantly overspending.

Labour would have made huge cuts be in different areas or would have raised taxes.

Labour would most probably have raised tutition fees to round about the same levels as the Tories have, just they would have had a graduate tax instead of loans

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
£96 a year...?

c. £4,000 per working lifetime...?

Apologies that should be per week - and it's actually £7.50 a week so £32.50 a month - still not a lot really for a good education.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Apologies that should be per week - and it's actually £7.50 a week so £32.50 a month - still not a lot really for a good education.

Over 40 years, that still only equates to £15,600. Is that all they have to pay back?

Fees could be up to £27,000 - more, if in future this £9,000 a year ceiling is raised by successive budgets. And that doesn't include other sundry debts which still have to be paid back.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Over 40 years, that still only equates to £15,600. Is that all they have to pay back?

Fees could be up to £27,000 - more, if in future this £9,000 a year ceiling is raised by successive budgets. And that doesn't include other sundry debts which still have to be paid back.

It's 9% of any income over £21k. So if they get to £40k they'll be paying £142.50 per month. And don't forget, after 30 years anything left owing is wiped.

Well we can assume that they aren't going to remain on £25k for all of the first 30 years of their working life (which is the time limit until the debt 'expires'), in which case their payments will rise with earnings (it will be 9% of everything that they earn above £21k). They are also discussing penalties on early repayments for those that are in a position (either through wealthy family or high earnings) to pay it back quicker than this.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

Very grainy and hard to make out what was going on. Also, it looked like he was resisting arrest but hard to tell given the was no proper shot of what led up to the incident. Hardly looked like police brutality to me. If that's the most violent the police got then the protesters got off very lightly given the horrific violence towards the police ( and I've yet to see anyone explain why anyone takes pool balls on a demo if it isn't for premeditated violence ).

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Very grainy and hard to make out what was going on. Also, it looked like he was resisting arrest but hard to tell given the was no proper shot of what led up to the incident. Hardly looked like police brutality to me. If that's the most violent the police got then the protesters got off very lightly given the horrific violence towards the police ( and I've yet to see anyone explain why anyone takes pool balls on a demo if it isn't for premeditated violence ).

No, the most violent the police got was hitting Alfie Meadows over the head with a batton, which resulted in a life threatening injury which needed brain surgery. Alfie Meadows was attacked, unprovoked. When he got the the hospital, the police tried to send him to a different hospital as they did not want him being treated in the same hospital as police. This could have cost Alfie his life, but thankfully the ambulance man who took him to the hospital refused this.

There were some people there intent on violence (small minority), which explains the pool balls. The vast majority of students protesting were peaceful. The same cannot be said for the police.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here