Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
You have cars up there..good heavens

Levelling up. Did pass one of these earlier mind:

cart.jpg

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I watched NewsNight last night and they did some analysis on how long this may last, based on data from the Fuel Retailers Association, some mathematical modelling based on the number of vehicles on the road and the amount of fuel that has been bought since the weekend.

The upshot was that we should be coming out of this by the end of the week as deliveries begin to re-balance with demand.

But then the reporter said something like, "of course, this MAY all change if people sense better availability and decide to keep topping up when they have no need to, just in case."

Well - thanks for that, you ****wit. There is no proof this will happen; no need to mention it; no need to instill a sense of continued panic. Just let things settle down and we'll all be able to get what we need.
Surely it'll last until the start of the Tory conference next week so Johnson can stand at the podium pretending to be some sort of hero ?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Shocking scenes up here. 3 cars filling up at once at the Jet garage - a first. 1 car queuing at Tesco when I left work. No cars at all at the Shell garage on the way home and it was OPEN! What on earth is going on? :)

Identical to you - there was a queue of one whole car at ASDA when I passed yesterday afternoon, and at the BP garage on the way home there seemed to be two drivers wondering which of the six available pumps to use....

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Identical to you - there was a queue of one whole car at ASDA when I passed yesterday afternoon, and at the BP garage on the way home there seemed to be two drivers wondering which of the six available pumps to use....

Cue junior cabinet minister sent up for photo opportunity with accompanying headline 'Britain returning to normal'

Meanwhile I had to laugh at business secretary speaking on lunchtime news, 'yesterday deliveries were equivalent to sales so that shows things are returning normal' :facepalm:

He'd be happy to know our local Morrisons got a delivery today, the town is now gridlocked and it'll all be gone later this afternoon, but at least sales won't be higher than deliveries so that's OK

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Went past Shell next to Goldstone this afternoon and looked like 3 cars queuing to get in.

Looks like the crisis is over? [emoji2369]

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
So the politicians say the situation is stabilising.

I can almost get that they lie to us when they tell us about the future (but wonder why anyone believes them) but when they lie about the present I can't even begin to understand how they have the nerve
The situation has to stabilise. Up to last week, the population as a whole kept their cars at a certain percentage of capacity - probably about 50-60%. The fuel deliveries kept pace with the demand. Then the population as a whole decided to top up to say 90% capacity and the fuel companies couldn't cope. Once we reach the 90% or whatever the figure is, the situation will stabilise because demand can't go any higher. (Barring relatively tiny amounts of illegal home fuel storage, of course.)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Managed to get £40 worth of unleaded, after a short queue at my local Sainsbury. As I was leaving, I noticed a couple of guys pushing their car away from the pumps. Plonkers had obviously put the wrong fuel in. :shootself

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
So the politicians say the situation is stabilising.

I can almost get that they lie to us when they tell us about the future (but wonder why anyone believes them) but when they lie about the present I can't even begin to understand how they have the nerve

It’s their job to calm the situation and provide the confidence that has disappeared. The entire system relies on confidence.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
The way to fix this is not to impose a maximum fill-up limit that some garages have, but instead to impose a MINIMUM fill-up of say 50 pounds (bikes exempt). At a stroke, this would ensure that only people who need petrol are filling up.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-58721650

Drivers queued for hours outside a petrol station without realising it was closed, police said. Derbyshire Police said they were called after long queues at the Etwall Fuel Express station caused an obstruction on the A516 on Monday.

Some had been at the garage for three hours despite the forecourt being shut following vandalism, the force added.

"With regret, officers, who were stood outside in pouring rain directing traffic, were subjected to abuse and a series of inexplicable excuses of why they needed to enter a closed garage that was unable to sell fuel."

One male motorist said he had been driving for more than three hours looking for fuel and was "furious".

"When asked how much fuel he'd used looking for petrol, he finally appeared to grasp the lack of solid ground his argument stood upon," the policing team added.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The way to fix this is not to impose a maximum fill-up limit that some garages have, but instead to impose a MINIMUM fill-up of say 50 pounds (bikes exempt). At a stroke, this would ensure that only people who need petrol are filling up.

The long list of reasons why this would be a rubbish idea have already been discussed on this thread.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We just purchased a new car and get delivery in December, the wife wanted an electric car, but they are so expensive and the millage on them before you have to re charge them put me off especially for long journeys. My argument was give it another 3 years when we change again, the millage should be better and the prices should drop and possibly the government may offer incentives to swap over to a greener option. They should by now to be honest. Wish I could have afforded an electric though to be honest.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It would ensure that those down to their last £10 wouldn't be filling up for sure.

And some cars won't take £50 volume of fuel. They'd have to put some in a jerry can.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It’s their job to calm the situation and provide the confidence that has disappeared. The entire system relies on confidence.

Given half the population are running scared they're clearly doing a great job.

Agree re minimum amount . .. .people are topping up like never before. Clearly have nothing better to do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here