Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

There is ONLY one way to improve catering standards at the AMEX.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Didn't the club say at the start of the season that they wouldn't be installed until next season?

Isn't the stadium supposed to be cashless eventually? If so this would sound about right.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Isn't the stadium supposed to be cashless eventually? If so this would sound about right.

I don't think you can ever get completely cashless though can you?

What about non season ticket holders? Will they all be forced to buy a smart card?

On that theme do regular attendees that are not season ticket holders have smart cards or are they issued with paper tickets for each game?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Catering and Rail management are clearly out of their depth, unsure if the latter can be held to account but the former have not provided a service that is fit for purpose & they should be given a timetable for rapid improvement or their contract terminated and compensation paid back to the club

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
At the moment the north stand (and others I have seen it) empties from the 40th minute and does not re-fill until the 50th minute of the game - that's 10 minutes + of crap atmosphere - the sole reason is the slow speed of service - how long before the team sense this dip and their play dips as well

That is unfair.

They stop selling alcohol five minutes before the second half kicks off. That leaves them a ten minute window (if we don't want people leaving before the first half finished). Even if only half of the people go to the counters, that's 1344 people to serve in ten minutes (not including the delay caused by 1344 people trying to walk through what 5? 6? gaps to the concourse). How many counters are there? 3? with 6 tills in each? So that's 1344/18 = 74.7 people at each till. In ten minutes that means 7.5 people every minute. If there are less counters or fewer tills at each counter that means they each have to serve more people per minute.

Do you honestly think it's possible to serve one person in 8 seconds, which would involve them giving their order, the server getting it from the pie shelf, the pint counter, returning to the till, key in the buttons and the customer picking up their goods and moving aside. Might just be possible if every single person knows what they want and enough pints are pre-poured, card/exact cash on hand, and there are no complications. But some people aren't sure what they want when they get the front considering different pies or a burger, some speak too quietly and need to repeat their order, some (according to another thread) demand freshly poured pints, some will not have got their card or cash ready, or require change. All ths while navigating other servers, open fridge doors etc behind the counter

Adding ten minutes prior to half time makes it about 3 people per minute, and 20 seconds per customer is a bit more reasonable, but even so, the above mentioned problems will make it difficult to keep to that rate.

Sheer logistics plays a huge part in the time taken. To put it all on the staff is hugely unfair on them.

Last edited:

Mar 10, 2006
Why do you need food and drink before the match and then again about one hour later at half time. Surely you don't do this at work/home. If so no wonder there are so many fat bastards around

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

What about non season ticket holders? Will they all be forced to buy a smart card?

On that theme do regular attendees that are not season ticket holders have smart cards or are they issued with paper tickets for each game?

As soon as things are settled paper tickets are going to be eliminated and casual attendees will be given a smart card and any matches they buy 'tickets' for will be loaded onto their cards, so they will have them anyway (and I don't believe they will be charged, at least for their first, they may have to pay for replacement, I don't know what the policy is on that).

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
You have a point about half time. Why bother putting yourself under the pressure of tying to buy and consume a pint in 15 minutes? Where's they enjoyment?[/QUOTE]

Exactly this, we never bother with a half time drink / food, not worth it, happy to have a beer before and after, besides i really don't want to miss any of the game.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing

Could never happen in the away end, for example.

Can't you request a smart card if you aren't a STH?

As 90% of people paying have cash then make it cash only as it is the smartcards from my experience that holds the queues up

Ernest, how the hell does the smartcards hold up the queue? I have paid in both cash and card now and I will never use cash again, the staff seem to struggle with the basic understanding of adding up the items asked and taking away the amount from the cash given.

The cards seem to be the quickest way, although this will not be useable for those without season tickets.

Aug 4, 2011
Agree with all of the comments. However. I dont think it would effect Azure all that much. They have theyre contract and the club gets a high % of match day profits. Azure get a lot through other week day events.AMEX has been voted the best in UK for there company. So if they would change anything. Amex is last on the list!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
A coordinated boycott of all Azure facilities for one game. North, East, West, 1901.

Writing to Azure will achieve nothing.
Posting on Ask the Club will elicit little more than "I will pass on your comments."

The ONLY way to make Azure take notice would be if everybody boycotted their facilities for one game. Yes, realistically, its not going to happen, but it would be good if they sold nothing for one game. Say the Barnsley match.

Poor call there Bry. The Plymouth Green Appeal went WHOOSH! over most people's heads. A catering boycott appeal would have even rubbisher effect. Only way forward IMHO is to ensure Azure know they are in dire jeopardy of their contract being unceremoniously terminated early due to dumping untrained cheap labour kids in at the deep end and hoping for the best. Just won't do. Azure doubtless reckoned without the huge and smart instant feedback that is NSC. But they certainly know now. Ha. Ha.

Don't write to Azure. Write to the Albion board and cc in Azure top brass.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you could put money on your smart card in the stadium (other than the club shop) it might encourage people to use it.

This.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Yes. But they can get a refund on the card and any surplus cash. Have a machine which sells cards. I had to do this at Bayer's ground. It wasnt a big deal. I went and got my money back at the end of the game. The club can also offer a postal refund option.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
A coordinated boycott of all Azure facilities for one game. North, East, West, 1901.

Writing to Azure will achieve nothing.
Posting on Ask the Club will elicit little more than "I will pass on your comments."

The ONLY way to make Azure take notice would be if everybody boycotted their facilities for one game. Yes, realistically, its not going to happen, but it would be good if they sold nothing for one game. Say the Barnsley match.

I'm totally with you on this, organise a massive boycott of the catering facilities. That way the queues will be much shorter and us non-moaners will have fantastic service :thumbsup:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Yes. But they can get a refund on the card and any surplus cash. Have a machine which sells cards. I had to do this at Bayer's ground. It wasnt a big deal. I went and got my money back at the end of the game. The club can also offer a postal refund option.

They do similar at Ajax. It's all a bit of a faff in my opinion as you end up having to queue to buy a card, then to put cash on it and then to buy what you want to eat/drink. Granted at Falmer most people will be season ticket holders so it'll be less of an issue. But if I was a casual/one off attendee then I'm not sure I'd be fussed to faff about doing that and I certainly wouldn't want to have to go and cash any unused credit back into folding stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here