Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

There is a shooting in Cumbia going on now

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Deputy Chief Constable of Cumbria, while speaking to ITV News in Whitehaven, has just referred to "this fantastic town of Workington".

Ooops :facepalm:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Middle aged

Male

Divorced

Living on his own

f***ed off with his job

MMMMMM

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The logistics involved are absolutely mad, thirty known crime scenes means thirty locations that have to be cordoned off and guarded around the clock until the forensic boffins have worked their way around and gathered all the evidence. Each individual victim, dead or alive, is treated as a scene as well as the location in which they were attacked.

I don't really understand this. I am sure there is good reason - but I am sure the relatives would want the bodies of their loved ones to be taken away. Is it actually necessary ?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No doubt the " story " of this Man's whole World crumbling away will come out over the next week. There are no winners in this.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think the inquest is a legal requirement isn't it?

And I know it sounds a bit anal, but they have to be able to work out an exact chain of events from an evidential perspective. The way someone falls, the nature, angle and type of entry/exit wounds all provide information relating to where someone was shot from, with which weapon, at what range, time and so on. They have to be certain nobody else was involved, that nothing else has gone on at the same time by some extraordinary coincidence.

Once that's all complete then they'll have the inquest, then maybe an enquiry, and then people will start saying that more could/should have been done to stop it etc etc and they'll use the evidence gathered to support or defeat that argument.

Plus relatives often want to know in painfully minute detail exactly what happened to their loved one, because it helps them make sense of it. Things like knowing whether someone would have suffered or not make a big difference.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think although obviously tragic we find out what drove this Man to be in such a state of mind as to do this.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Always interesting to see how the different national newspapers report such tragedies.

As of five minutes ago, this is what you could find:

Guardian: Twelve killed in Cumbria shooting spree

The Times: Cumbrian taxi driver kills 12 in gun rampage

The Telegraph: Cumbria gunman kills 12 then shoots himself

The Daily Mail: Massacre in the Lake District: TWELVE people shot dead by rampaging cabbie, 52

The Sun: MANIAC kills 12 in gun rampage

(they also helpfully include a photo of a brand new and completely unrelated Citroen Picasso to help readers get a better understanding of the events unfolding :ohmy:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I think although obviously tragic we find out what drove this Man to be in such a state of mind as to do this.

Before you start worrying too much Gareth, a criminologist, who spoke an enormous amount of sense, said that basically...........we are ALL capable of carrying out such an act if the circumstances and events that trigger off revenge, happen.

It was on Sky tv much earlier.........fascinating interview.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am always interested in a person's life that makes them resort to this. Because there is ALWAYS a reason. 99.9% of people would not do this but it is within us all.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lucky the killer decided to park up and top himself else he'd probably still be pootling round country lanes shooting at innocent people. What on earth were the police doing for all those hours when the guy was running amok? ???

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Lucky the killer decided to park up and top himself else he'd probably still be pootling round country lanes shooting at innocent people. What on earth were the police doing for all those hours when the guy was running amok? ???

Trying to find him ?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

Listening to Five Live this evening, they were saying that there was a country fair or horse fair on the other side of the county and all police leave had already been cancelled for this week.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
They have to be certain nobody else was involved, that nothing else has gone on at the same time by some extraordinary coincidence.

Quite. If someone else wanted to kill someone, they would love to have the chance to do it during a shooting spree like this and let the other guy take the blame. Due diligence means he/she wouldn't get away with it.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Middle aged

Male

Divorced

Living on his own

f***ed off with his job

MMMMMM

FFS, stop feeling so sorry for yourself, there are MILLIONS of people ALOT worse off than you :wozza:

And congrats btw, you have made my ignore list :thumbsup:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Thats ok then.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Get off your high horse Gerbil.

People have posted " jokes " about this and you can bet that has only just started.

My comment is a certain person does this and I am interested in what makes a middle aged bloke be in such a bad state to do this.

From this we as a society can learn and try and prevent it again as best as possible. Once the facts come out maybe if this bloke had support and guidance in his life and people that cared about him he would not have done this and that will in turn lead to red flags and warning signs of people in a right state getting HELP before its too late.

Now I know that society and generally NSC says " hang him high, scum, let him rot in hell " and I can understand that but the only way we can improve as a society is to learn and assist people who are truely f***ed up as I believe this Man was truely f***ed up.

Last edited:

franks brother

It seems to be middle-aged men who go on these shooting sprees.

I guess they get to a point in their lives where everything goes wrong
and they say "f*** it - I'm gonna kill myself but before I do I'm taking
a few with me"

They always end up killing themselves don't they

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Its called a murder suicide. All the latest murders on the news are middle aged disaffected people and its a trend thats needs addressing which is basically my point.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I guess 99.9% of people that have got to the state of mind that this Man had would top themselves and not dream of taking anyone else but he has been let down with his care which I know is not the populist vote but I stand by it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here