Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

There is a shooting in Cumbia going on now

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Do you think it's an easy thing to do then?

To have the power of life and death over someone and a split second to make that call? Funnily enough, when training they don't actually shoot real people so 99% of armed police won't have had to decide at any given time, but it doesn't stop you wondering "what if" when you start your shift. No matter who the person on the other side is, it's somebody's life, somebody's son or daughter.
lighten up, i was joking, but now you've mentioned it, if someone thinks they'll have that much of a problem with it , perhaps volunteering for a firearms unit isnt a good idea ?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Do you think it's an easy thing to do then?

To have the power of life and death over someone and a split second to make that call? Funnily enough, when training they don't actually shoot real people so 99% of armed police won't have had to decide at any given time, but it doesn't stop you wondering "what if" when you start your shift. No matter who the person on the other side is, it's somebody's life, somebody's son or daughter.

it doesnt seem to be bothering this f***ing bloke very much.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If I was there I guarantee I would want something a bit stronger!!

Let's hope they know what this bloke looks like, before they invite him in for tea and coffee by mistake...

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Thats not how it works. And it's not "lucky" at all, whatever your training, the decision to pull the trigger on a member of the public is one of the hardest you'll ever make. Trust me.

Logistically its a nightmare location to search as its such a rural location, with fewer people about, few cameras, lots of easy places to hide etc.

Is there not sufficient training given to attempt to ensure that you disarm/disable the gunman without killing them? Or am I being MASSIVELY naive here (probably) ?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Is there not sufficient training given to attempt to ensure that you disarm/disable the gunman without killing them? Or am I being MASSIVELY naive here (probably) ?

It all comes down to whether they're aiming it at a Brazilian or not. Vaguely dusty=fire away.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Police say they've just found that nut-job's body. I guess we should be thankful for small mercies, although the poor relatives of the dead & injured are hardly gonna see it that way. What a terrible state of affairs. :(

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
lighten up, i was joking, but now you've mentioned it, if someone thinks they'll have that much of a problem with it , perhaps volunteering for a firearms unit isnt a good idea ?

Well you do your job don't you, but it's human nature to at least give some thought to the consequences surely? People do apply for the job and realise during training it's not for them. Better to find out at that stage I guess.

Anyway, here's hoping they catch up with him soon, the nature of the Lake District means there must be plenty of people out walking in blissful ignorance of all this.

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
1340 BST
Cumbria Police say they are using every armed police patrol in the county to apprehend Derrick Bird. They say the response includes armed vehicle and foot patrols, police dogs units and air support from Lancashire. He is currently believed to be in the Boot area in Eskdale Valley.

Surely they shouldn't use every armed force patrol, just say something happens down south and they are needed down here. How long would it take them to get there?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

yes, rather naive. its almost impossible to "disarm" or "disable" a gunman. shot their leg? their arm? they can still shoot back and arms and legs are even smaller targets than the body. shoot to stop (not to kill) is policy applied all over the world with the principle aim to shot to the chest for maximum effect, and hope immediate paramedic assistance can save them.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Well you do your job don't you, but it's human nature to at least give some thought to the consequences surely? People do apply for the job and realise during training it's not for them. Better to find out at that stage I guess.

Anyway, here's hoping they catch up with him soon, the nature of the Lake District means there must be plenty of people out walking in blissful ignorance of all this.
whats your view on all police being armed ?for or against ?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

It's just not feasible. You're more than likely going to have a split second to act, in which case the chances of hitting someone where it would only cause minor injury are miniscule, especially if they're moving.

Sounds like he's finished the job himself now.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Surely they shouldn't use every armed force patrol, just say something happens down south and they are needed down here. How long would it take them to get there?

Er? It says 'COUNTY', not 'COUNTRY'...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here